So...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Mr. Glasperspiel has divulged on Dominion that while the Sisters want to play they can't - basically nobody is offering? Now, think that Sven at the time indicated what the cost to the promotor for putting up the Sisters as headliners is - and that seemed pretty expensive. Believe it was one of the reasons why Eurorock 2000 didn't happen in the end. Pity that. I mean, the Mish manages to do a short Easter tour of which one gig gets filmed for German television and a possible DVD release. Its all a compromise of course and cutting corners here and there. Question really is are the Sisters will to do that to play...?
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I think the main problem is Eldritch has ha bit of a bad reputation, especally since the NEC Fiasco, Lots of sisters fans (not the hard core fans but the genral fans) have been dissapointerd at the p*ss poor live shows of the post 92 sisters, and at the end of the Day bands Like the m*****n put on a better show, doing all the stuff the fans wanna hear, so for things like festivals that makes more sense, ALso the sisters Lack of any releases & Press coverage probaby has a LOT to do with it, I mean for the s&M Tour 1 Radio interview was about the whole sum coverage the sisters had in the UK, and that wasnt even a national network.

I think if the sisters wanna butild up there pofile they maybe need to go and Support a bigger band, like for example the m*****n doing the tor with Him that gave the mish a much needed NEW addition to the fanbase.

On another tangent its good to hear that All About Eve are supporting the Cure at Lorilie or whtever its called!
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

After all, one of the reasons for the original Sisters breakup was that others were willing to cut corners, and Von wasn't...If in this case the cutting corners would only lead to a somewhat diminished performance fee, well if Von isn't willing to, then he's apparently not in dire need of petty cash. Perhaps Wayne & co. are.

dei
we've got beer and we've got fuel
allfear

Come again? SO your making out that Wayne is in poverty so hes doing pub gigs hey?

Rockpalast is a major Television programme in europe, and is probaby the Best programme to cover live concerts, so it wouldbe an honour for any band to go on that (the Duran Duran one from 93 is probaby one of the finest TV concerts ever televised) thign is I dont think they would want the sisters because they probaby wouldnt want the half baked set that the sisters currently offer.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

I don't think RockPalast would say no to the Sisters, but their fee might be a bit too steep. And the 'cutting corners' did get Wayne into difficulty with the crew and some of his bandmembers. Remember the note from the Trillians gig. Wayne can obviously do with the cash but he seems to prefer to put it into records (one to be recorded over the summer I believe). He also honours his commitments - which I think might be the main issue. After breaking his wrist he continued to play on the last tour.

IMHO the Sisters show will always have a higher expense because of the technical nonsense involved. Maybe Eldritch feels that the pub type gigs are not his thing and I can see his point. Also, Hussey happily plays the Darkcity and Whitby gigs while the Sisters would probably pass them over. It alienates a part of your audience IMHO.
Last edited by Karst on 14 May 2004, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

Sad news but no real surprise. Again, it all comes back to the failure of "Summer" to appear. I won't speculate on the reasons, they've already been well discussed elsewhere, but that particular incident completely derailed the band and they've been coasting ever since.

Getting opportunities is only half the game, you have to take them too.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Karst wrote:Also, Hussey happily plays the Darkcity and Whitby gigs while the Sisters would probably pass them over. It alienates a part of your audience IMHO.
Speaking just for myself, if they were to do Whitby etc, it would certainly alienate me....
Karst
Slight Overbomber

straylight wrote:Speaking just for myself, if they were to do Whitby etc, it would certainly alienate me....
Not my cup of tea either and I would probably go & see the Mish somewhere else. However, there were quite a few people who happily turned up for this one and by listening to the tape of it - it was good fun too!
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

straylight wrote:
Karst wrote:Also, Hussey happily plays the Darkcity and Whitby gigs while the Sisters would probably pass them over. It alienates a part of your audience IMHO.
Speaking just for myself, if they were to do Whitby etc, it would certainly alienate me....
Considering TSOM are not a Goth band in Andrew's eyes, I would be very disappointed if he played any goth event. I'd probably have a few chioce words at his selling out in that manner.

I think the chances of The Sisters playing a goth gig are non existant. When Andrew played some event in Philadelphia the line up was heavily goth, and he went ballistic. I think some support was dropped at his insistence, much to the audience's dismay.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

M'Era Luna is a goth festival, and the Sisters have played there. Twice.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

Karst wrote:I don't think RockPalast would say no to the Sisters, but their fee might be a bit too steep.
Eldritch would say no to Rockpalast.

Does nobody think it's a bit strange that there's never been a Sisters concert shown on TV, not even one song*. I'd love to be proved wrong but I've never encountered any songs from concerts shown on TV. I even recall the support band for one of the Sisters German gigs in early 90's being shown on Rockpalast but they didn't show the main act!

*Apart from an interview with Tony James & Tim Bricheno on MTV on 19.4.91 where they appear to be showing very short live clips - I can't confirm for certain they are as mine is only an audio, but it sounds like they are. And showings of the RAH vid don't count.
Big Si
School Bully

Dan wrote:
Karst wrote:I don't think RockPalast would say no to the Sisters, but their fee might be a bit too steep.
Eldritch would say no to Rockpalast.

Does nobody think it's a bit strange that there's never been a Sisters concert shown on TV, not even one song*. I'd love to be proved wrong but I've never encountered any songs from concerts shown on TV. I even recall the support band for one of the Sisters German gigs in early 90's being shown on Rockpalast but they didn't show the main act!

*apart from an interview with Tony James & Tim Bricheno on MTV on 19.4.91 where they appear to be showing very short live clips - I can't confirm for certain they are as mine is only an audio, but it sounds like they are. And showings of the RAH vid don't count.
I've got an interview with :von: and Paul King from 120 Minutes at Pukkelpop 1993. He said he's always been unhappy with the sound recording. :von: said if he could mix the sound then he would happily let MTV film them.

Alas, it still hasn't happened!
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

first of all, the willingness to perform is the first positive message about the band within a year - so lets get drunk immediately.

on the other hand mechanisms are the same for records and gigs. without accepting common rules - which normally wont damage reputation - its nearly impossible to get the whole thing started again. and i still don't understand the goth-problem. it's ridiculous to claim that the sisters don't have any goth-flavour - and it's ruther stupid to behave that badly against the whole goth thing. if one wants to be (or become) a rock band, than act like a rock band and get judged for what you are actually doing - not only claiming to be. i would be happy to see the sisters perform at whatever event, doesn't matter wether goth, gay, folk or fire-department festivals (yeah, due to fiscal regulations we have a lot of fire-department festivals in austria ;-) ). being honest, i even don't understand many of you heartlanders jumping on that goth train thing. third rated bands may be found in every corner of the music biz. frankie goes to hollywood have even lost their rights to name for the usa to a 5th rated cover band (precisly they never owned the rigts there).
the prayer wheel: mr eldritch, release something (whatever and however)
and afterwards choose from the offers to play live again.
get real.
love is just a shot away
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

markfiend wrote:M'Era Luna is a goth festival, and the Sisters have played there. Twice.

BP's choice words: (censored)
##$$%^&*()*&%$#@#$%%$$$#

ARGHHHHHHH. :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:

I am very very disappointed.

:x
Hojyuu-obi

Karst wrote:Mr. Glasperspiel has divulged on Dominion that while the Sisters want to play they can't - basically nobody is offering? Now, think that Sven at the time indicated what the cost to the promotor for putting up the Sisters as headliners is - and that seemed pretty expensive. Believe it was one of the reasons why Eurorock 2000 didn't happen in the end. Pity that. I mean, the Mish manages to do a short Easter tour of which one gig gets filmed for German television and a possible DVD release. Its all a compromise of course and cutting corners here and there. Question really is are the Sisters will to do that to play...?
What figure was that again? £200.000 ??
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Drsisters

Black Planet wrote:
markfiend wrote:M'Era Luna is a goth festival, and the Sisters have played there. Twice.

taken from the official site:

Surely you actively dislike some of the bands who end up on the same bill?

'Fraid so, but you play what you can get. You can't always play with bands you like and/or bands whose audiences will broaden your constituency.

In the early days, obviously, we got no choice at all. Even now, if we want to play in a certain territory at a certain time, we often have to accept that the only willing promoters are incompetent or dim.

Most promoters are indeed dim (except, of course, the ones who are reading this). We can't do their jobs for them, or we'd be the promoters. That's not our business. We don't always get the right of veto over the opening acts. Even when we're presenting a touring package to promoters, it has to be something they'll invest in.

Most promoters want to invest in a line-up which they think is a marketing no-brainer, and we can't afford to be too bothered, especially at one-off concerts.

We did, however, once turn down an offer of £200,000 (very approximately $300,000) to headline some g*** fest in Whitby. Go figure.

Good explanation why the sisters have played both Mera Luna and Doomsday Festival.

I assume you record all your concerts. When can I expect the live album?

You can't. Bands usually log their performance in some way. Some of them like to relive it all in the bus afterwards, for whatever perverse reason. We would do it just because we can. If we were interested in recording a live album we'd get a lot more than a handycam and a DAT recorder to do it with, but it seems daft not to put those toys into action. Often we're daft enough not to bother.

We're not interested in releasing a live album right now, and we haven't been for some time. People often tell us that there's a huge demand for a live album, citing the vast numbers of Sisters bootlegs. That overlooks a few important facts:

People who buy bootlegs are primarily interested in hunting the stuff down; they don't seem nearly so excited about things which are readily available. Some even turn their noses up at the genuine article and they are in any event a tiny minority.

We already put out a live album with film footage, in the form of 'Wake', the video of the Albert Hall event. And people got a lot less excited about it than they do about bootlegs.

Anyway, you'd be the first to scream if the next thing you got was not a new studio album.

would explain why the sisters isn´t interested in live albums nor live dvd:s or live shows for tv.

Hmm. Why don't you put out studio albums more often?

It's often imagined that we must be very miserable, skulking around without the dignity of labour, because there's no life outside the grinding humiliation of minor rock stardom. It's said that we need to spend two-enervating-years-per-album being wantonly misunderstood and abused, and even the cats are beginning to feel depressed. Judge for yourself.

We don't put studio albums out more often...

Because we don't have to. We are not like most bands, who are slaves to their accountants, their record company, their agents or the media, all of whom like to dictate the rhythms of a band's career - for their own purposes.

Because (unlike most bands) we have other things to do, which we are just as happy to do. Not just music, either. There is more to our lives than music, and we believe our music is made better because of it. You might think it wrong of us to spend so much time playing computer games, reading books without pictures, doing chemistry experiments, thinking about politics and having sex, but we like our songs to be grounded in a life of some kind.

Because (unlike most bands) we do not believe in putting out an album with only two good songs on it.

Sum the plot up. Seems like AE have a masterplan for everything, and sticking to the plan even if it would mean the death of The Sisters.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Drsisters wrote:Surely you actively dislike some of the bands who end up on the same bill?

We did, however, once turn down an offer of £200,000 (very approximately $300,000) to headline some g*** fest in Whitby. Go figure.

Good explanation why the sisters have played both Mera Luna and Doomsday Festival.

Sum the plot up. Seems like AE have a masterplan for everything, and sticking to the plan even if it would mean the death of The Sisters.
You've renewed my faith in Andrew. Dont' forget tomorrow's his birthday :D

Andrew Eldritch was born on the 15th of May, 1959 as Andrew Winston Harvey Taylor on the Isle of Ely
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Drsisters wrote:Huge Post
Yeah I know. And I agree. My point was that Andrew only seems to "behave that badly against the whole goth thing" (as jost 7 puts it) in the UK. *shrug*
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
allfear

Can I just point out the the Goth festival in whitby was the DRACFEST in 1997 and NOT the Whitby Gothic Weekend that happens twice a year
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Yeah I know. And I agree. My point was that Andrew only seems to "behave that badly against the whole goth thing" (as jost 7 puts it) in the UK. *shrug*
In the states as well. Dropped "new creatures" and one more band which
i dont remember in Philladelphia 97, check his quote
before "summer" on that gig. Our man was in fine form that night ;D
Dan
Overbomber

sunset yellow wrote:check his quote
"This is from our next album `Butt F**k Parlour Time'"
James
Amphetamine Filth

sunset yellow wrote:In the states as well. Dropped "new creatures" and one more band which
From the official site
Note to support bands:

We've changed our concert-booking agent, to enhance our side of the promoter-checking process, but if you're a band and you plan to share our stage, check with the promoter whether he should have asked us about it, and check that he actually did ask us about it.

This applies to evberybody, but most particularly to support bands from a galaxy far, far away at the sad end of the musical spectrum. No surprises there.

The only surprise is the recent and remarkably inventive whining of f*ckwits who think that dodgy darklings have some god-given right to hijack a Sisters gig merely by alerting their closest neighbours, surprising us at a soundcheck and (reluctantly) letting us hear their (naturally) bad CD, five hours before showtime.
James Blast
Banned

Face it. AE is burned out.

EOS
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

end of story
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
allfear

sunset yellow wrote:
markfiend wrote:
In the states as well. Dropped "new creatures" and one more band which
That other band being Sunshine blind who DROVE over 1/2 way from LA to go to philly to do the gig, before the found out eldritich had dropped them judgeing them by theth physical appearence (ie goth) even though he listend and approved of their music.

Oh and anyway Dark Harvest was of corse another Goth festival, not that eldritch would admit that.

Matt

Though he did let swichblade symphony play