Joy Division movie?!?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film ... ory=522644
Joy Division's dark star to shine in biopic cinema
By Louise Jury
19 May 2004

The Manchester music scene of the 1970s and 80s that inspired Michael Winterbottom's film 24 Hour Party People is to spawn a second movie - based on the tragic life of the Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis.

The biopic of the Joy Division star, who committed suicide at his Macclesfield home aged 23, is being developed by Amy Hobby, the American producer of the offbeat black comedy, Secretary, which starred James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhall. Moby will act as music adviser.

Ms Hobby has teamed up with London-based Neal Weisman, who is close to Tony Wilson, the band's manager, and to the surviving members of the band, which became New Order after Curtis's death.

The Winterbottom film told the story of Tony Wilson and his famed label, Factory Records, but also dealt with the story of Curtis's death.

Moby, the New Yorker whose album Play became a number one bestseller worldwide and who is also known for his remix work, has been invited to shape the film's music.

"Ian Curtis was a tragic romantic in the classic sense of the word," Weisman told the trade magazine Variety at the Cannes Film Festival. "He always thought he would be famous as some kind of poet and die by his mid-20s and that's what happened."

Weisman sees the movie as being a rock-and-roll version of the movie, Shine, in which Geoffrey Rush played the pianist David Helfgott whose career was devastated by a struggle against mental illness.

Curtis joined Joy Division after answering an advert in 1976 which asked for a lead vocalist. Their first album, Unknown Pleasures, released on Factory Records, introduced his distinctive voice and bleak, expressive style which became most famous on songs such as "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

By 1979, the band were recording sessions for John Peel's Radio 1 show and were poised to tour America.

But in 1980, he committed suicide the day before they were due to leave for the States. It was thought that this might have been triggered by mis-management of medication for his epilepsy.

A copy of Iggy Pop's The Idiot was found on the turntable at his house alongside a note which read: "At this moment, I wish I were dead. I just can't cope any more."

The film project is still being finalised and is not expected to begin shooting until next year. It is understood no one has yet been cast. In the Winterbottom movie, the singer was played by Sean Harris with the comedian Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

wow :notworthy:

that is if they make it right of coure :roll:.
randdebiel²

they can never make it right I'm afraid.....whoever they choose to play Ian, it WILL be a disapointment.... :(
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
ryan

i thought sean harris did a great job on 24. In fact if they dont choose him i think ill be rather dissapointed :(
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Get Jerry Zucker to produce it!!!!!!!

You know it makes sense
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
randdebiel²

ryan_w_0000 wrote:i thought sean harris did a great job on 24. In fact if they dont choose him i think ill be rather dissapointed :(
he was ok, but he seemed to lack something....never could define what though....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Moby...has been invited to shape the film's music.
Errrrrrmmmmmm.....

So why? Why not just use Joy Division's music? :roll:

I hate Moby. F*cking corporate ad-music whore.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

markfiend wrote: I hate Moby. F*cking corporate ad-music whore.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Only a paand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

markfiend wrote:I hate Moby. F*cking corporate ad-music whore.
yeah! how dare he make money out of his music... :roll:
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
ryan

why arent the officials 'tony wilson, N.O' the musical advisers? thats the question..perhaps they read the script :!: :roll:
Big Si
School Bully

His version of New Dawn Fades is pretty good! :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:
markfiend wrote:I hate Moby. F*cking corporate ad-music whore.
yeah! how dare he make money out of his music... :roll:
Take your point, but the sanctimonious pseudo-liberal anti-commercial claptrap he regularly spouts doesn't really sit very well with selling your music to adverts for cars, does it?

See also Sting.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

That and he's sh*te
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sexygoth wrote:That and he's sh*te
Well, yeah, that too. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

Reckon Rowan Atkinson could do it....hee hee
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:
Sexygoth wrote:That and he's sh*te
Well, yeah, that too. ;D
Bloody Goths! ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Baldy!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Baldy!

er...now...

um...

actually...

Ok...bastard...you win this round!!

Jean Luc Picard :wink:

to baldly go where no one has gone before
Big Si
School Bully

You were both saying?

:twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I think I'd better say, napper now. :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Reckon Rowan Atkinson could do it....hee hee
Definitely 8)
Or at least thay should ask him to consult on dancing.
James Blast
Banned

pikkrong wrote:Or at least thay should ask him to consult on dancing.
:notworthy:
~ Peter Steele
randdebiel²

markfiend wrote:
Moby...has been invited to shape the film's music.
Errrrrrmmmmmm.....

So why? Why not just use Joy Division's music? :roll:

I hate Moby. F*cking corporate ad-music whore.
just hope we won't get f**ked up versions of for example new dawn fades..evr heard moby's version? *shivers*
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

he might be a bit of a self-righteous prick, but i think moby has a great deal of respect for the music which he works with. i'm fairly confident that the soundtrack to this will be faithful, even if the film is god-awful... :roll:

and i like his cover "new dawn fades" :lol: ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:o Covering JD records should be illegal. It was bad enough with the Crow film soundtrack...
—Bertrand Russell