Altogether Now NOT The Beautiful Game

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Certain irony in this song don't you think?

So yeah, it's about jumpers for goalposts, Tommy V Hun... but it's also rather strangely, the adopted tune of the troops in the 1st Gulf War, and isn't the present, actively encouraged, rush for "England" flags just so people can have something to be momentarily proud about, once more.

Instill national pride, instill hatred. Ergo: more flags, more riots and those taxi drivers become mere pawns in the not so beautiful game :cry:

Right I'm off
Goths have feelings too
Andie
Overbomber

why when we instill national pride...do we also instill hatred?...

maybe i'm not a true footie fan if i can't hate the opposing teams players/supporters...BULLSH!T...

i watch football (soccer for the american fans) because i enjoy watching the game...i don't give a fug if it's England or whoever playing...it's a glorious way to spend a couple of hours in the pub sipping a beer or two...i don't want to get up and destroy stuff coz my teams lost...and i don't carry on drinking if my team won...it's only a game...

as for the stupid songs...forget it...can not be bothered with that collective stupiditty...i think for my self...i do not follow any crowd...i am not a sheep...

i think that most posters here are of the same opinion...(naturally...now i have said that i'll be proved wrong...)...i'll watch the Euro 2004 football games...i don't give a funk who wins...as long as i can enjoy the overall experience...

if England win...so be it...no biggie...no worries...if they loose...likewise...i'll not be loosing any sleep over it...

and to finish...

i have my St Georges Cross and 3 Lions England flag flying from my bedroom window...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
paint it black

Burn, that's the way it should be...but don't you think it funny that, for example, St George's Day has to be played down...but suddenly, possibly inlight of the antics in the gulf, patriotism is being openly encouraged?

I think it's been proven that the rugby took the government by suprise, maybe they don't wanna make the same mistake twice?

Really it's basic physics, you build up a body of energy, that energy has to be dissipated quickly :?

I don't give a fug, I'm not English. My bets gone on the Czech's, who look to have a great chance 8)
Goths have feelings too
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

paint it black wrote:suddenly, possibly inlight of the antics in the gulf, patriotism is being openly encouraged?

I think it's been proven that the rugby took the government by suprise, maybe they don't wanna make the same mistake twice?
eh? are you seriously suggesting that there's some sinister conspiracy urging bare-chested proles to cover there cars in tacky flags? and this is supposed to in some way convince us all that invading iraq was a good idea after all? although i'm sure tony and his cronies will be all to eager to bask in the reflected glory if (and it's a very big if) "our boys" return from portugal with some silverware.
My bets gone on the Czech's, who look to have a great chance 8)
sensible man. they've got a great chance if they can get out of the group...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
paint it black

eh? are you seriously suggesting that there's some sinister conspiracy urging bare-chested proles to cover there cars in tacky flags? and this is supposed to in some way convince us all that invading iraq was a good idea after all? although i'm sure tony and his cronies will be all to eager to bask in the reflected glory if (and it's a very big if) "our boys" return from portugal with some silverware.
appalling spelling ignored :lol:

no, richy, i'm not. actually, completly the opposite :?
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

tomorrow you're homeless. tonight it's a gas.

Well, they've got f**k all else to look forward to, except smoke.
Goths have feelings too
Andie
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Burn, that's the way it should be...but don't you think it funny that, for example, St George's Day has to be played down...but suddenly, possibly inlight of the antics in the gulf, patriotism is being openly encouraged?

8)
i agree with the st georges day comment PiB...i tried to get the guys at work to go down the pub for a quick beer at lunch time on st georges day and only one was intrested...yet we all went out on st pactricks day (?!?!)

england is so fcuk'd up sometimes it's almost laughable!! (if i wasn't crying)
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Watched England in a hotel bar in Moscow and was struck by how little I really cared.

If Sunderland had contrived to lose a game in those circumstances, I'd have been beyond gutted (don't even mention Palace) but with England it was just a quick shrug, pay the tab and stagger back to my room.

Interestingly, Saturday was Independence Day in Russia. That's Russia's independence from the USSR, by the way, a curious concept in some respects. Although Red Square hosted the usual military march-past and bands were playing, it seemed to have little impact on the rest of the country. In the preceding week I was up in Petrozavodsk (NW, on Lake Onega) where there wasn't a banner or a poster advertising the big day to be seen. On the Friday I was in Petersburg where there was little evidence of anything happening apart from a rather desultory stage being put up in Palace Square.

Travelling into Moscow on the Saturday morning was also strange - very few people about, and few outward signs of public celebration. The only outward signs of national fervour seemed to relate to the football that night.

Oddly, Russia is one of the most nationalistic societies I've encountered - in both positive and negative senses. There is a real belief in "Mother Russia" and the slavic soul, and a genuine sense that it is somehow a sacred land with these blessings reflected in its people. The mythic Russia with Moscow as the New Byzantium is a surprisingly prevalent theme in political and public life, and it is one of the reasons why it is still a remarkably isolationist regime.

So maybe it's not just us. Maybe (and perhaps hopefully) efforts to engage national feeling can't be artificially manufactured.

As for me, I'm going to host my flag of Moscow's patron saint and see how long it takes for some knuckle-head to complain about it being "unpatriotic". By happy co-incidence, Moscow's patron saint is our old friend Gyorgy Sankt ... the dragonslayer himself.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

andymackem wrote:The mythic Russia with Moscow as the New Byzantium is a surprisingly prevalent theme in political and public life, and it is one of the reasons why it is still a remarkably isolationist regime.
Perhaps related is the fact that the word Tsar (alternate spelling Czar) is derived from Caesar (as are Kaiser and related Germanic words).

markfiend once again displaying his vast knowledge of useless shite.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Burn wrote:england is so fcuk'd up sometimes it's almost laughable!!
Labour take a drubbing in the local elections "because people are against the war in Iraq", the implication being we should distance ourselves from the Yanks and re-align with Europe.

Labour take a drubbing in the EU elections "because people are against European integration", the implication being we should distance ourselves form Europe. (And align further with the Yanks?)

And labour lose Leeds cos I couldn't manage to stick a piece of paper in the correct envelope. :roll:
Go to sleep now, Francis.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Thrash Harry wrote:Labour take a drubbing in the local elections "because people are against the war in Iraq...

Labour take a drubbing in the EU elections "because people are against European integration...
all i'll say on this is that the spin doctors and media pundits must be doing a wonderful job if anyone thinks that such an overly simplistic analysis comes even close to explaining the remarkably complex patterns of voting behaviour we saw last week.

but then you didn't want a lecture from a part-time psephologist did you?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:but then you didn't want a lecture from a part-time psephologist did you?
Yes?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

RicheyJames wrote:but then you didn't want a lecture from a part-time psephologist did you?
I might do, if I knew what one was.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

dictionary.com wrote:psephologist

n : a sociologist who studies election trends
—Bertrand Russell
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

markfiend wrote:
dictionary.com wrote:psephologist

n : a sociologist who studies election trends
Merci mon ami. In which case, the answer is Yes, though maybe not a lecture just your informed opinion will do.

But first, allow me to retort:
RicheyJames wrote:the spin doctors and media pundits
I rely primarily on Today and PM for my news coverage. You're not telling me the BBC can't be trusted now are you?
RicheyJames wrote:an overly simplistic analysis
Hence my use of quotation marks. But I do think there's a strong element of truth in it.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thrash Harry wrote:Merci mon ami.
Pas de problème. ;D
Thrash Harry wrote:You're not telling me the BBC can't be trusted now are you?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black

i'm glad this thread hasn't gone the way of so many others. though richey's opinions are often "from the eyes of one man", i'm always glad to read them :notworthy: :notworthy: before i gave up on HL, my next thread was going to be about the local/eu elections.

keep up the good work guys & girls :D
Goths have feelings too
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

RicheyJames wrote: but then you didn't want a lecture from a part-time psephologist did you?
Go on, you know you want to. :wink:
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

straylight wrote:
RicheyJames wrote: but then you didn't want a lecture from a part-time psephologist did you?
Go on, you know you want to. :wink:
It would be nice to finally have him add a bit of substance to his heckling from the back.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

do not fear, a full reply is in the pipeline. unfortunately, i have actually been forced to do some actual work today so i've only managed the first 250 or so words.

watch this space...
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

I PASSED
Only a paand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

RicheyJames wrote:watch this space...
... James dummies, leaving the opposition standing ...