FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS POLL

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS version

Poll ended at 23 Jul 2004, 14:14

92%
8%

Total votes: 12
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

What is your choice?

... just in case!
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

92 version was lacking in many ways - the bass was too low in the mix, the drums had no beef and the guitars were an echoey swamp.

:urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:92 version was lacking in many ways - the bass was too low in the mix, the drums had no beef and the guitars were an echoey swamp.

that about sums it up for me :notworthy:
Francis
Overbomber

Thank god I haven't heard it then. The first one was disappointing enough.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fortunately they had the good sense to include the original mixes of "walk away" and "no time to cry" on "...overbombing" so you can still easily get those two tracks on cd in their original beefy state 8)
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Are we talking about the CD version (92)?

There's quite a difference between the vinyl and CD versions of FALAA, I think. The CD just sounds...weak, compared with earlier versions of the songs (vinyl), to say nothing of live. There's no oomph on the CD, they need to turn up the bass, the power, everything. You can barely make out certain guitar parts, and even SKOS could be much better...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

which reminds me, i must ask lars if i can borrow his original cd (ie: non 92)

i seem to recall it was much better, nearly as "phat" as the original vinyl...
mh
Above the Chemist

Only one possible answer here. There's more "digital remastering" up me bum that there is on that 92 travesty. RRRRRRRR - FIGHT!!!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:92 version was lacking in many ways - the bass was too low in the mix, the drums had no beef and the guitars were an echoey swamp.

But apart from that, what did you think? :lol:
Give me one good reason
Francis
Overbomber

So which Cd have I got? Sounds much more up-tempo than the vinyl did when I first heard it in 85. Maybe I'm just more tolerant these days. :eek:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.
Francis
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.
<Tippy toes down the stairs trying to avoid the squeaky floor boards. Sh!t. Shhhhsh! Soz. Yes. Digitally remastered in 1992. Oooh! Look! The Specials. Now that takes me back...>
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.
I got one that says that and one that doesn't 8) Both French pressings :urff:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I apoloise for ruining the 100% tally for 1985 but the 1992 version means a lot to me in nostalgic terms so I voted for that. Big difference though & in muscial terms I'd gor for 85 on bass alone.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Black Horizon wrote:Oh for goodness sake. Why is it that everyone bashes the f*ck out of this remaster of F&L&A. I aint heard the original version of the album,
That's why you don't understand why we're bashing the 1992 version. :D
24.24.2.489 Deceased
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

In reply to what Black Horizon said: i think there are plenty of bad songs on FALAA...bad as far as Sisters songs can be bad, of course...those pesky Wayne-songs. Live they work quite well, but, gimme the worst song of the b-side anytime over the best song of a-side (Black Planet, i guess).
Because of those songs, i think Floodland and VT are both superior, as there's not a single bad song in either one of them. Exactly because Floodland and VT are so coherent in their soundscape, they are really one work instead of just albums with some songs in them, this makes them much more relevant works than FALAA, which is basically not even a thematic album but just a collection of songs (this is not to say that there's no theme(s) to it, or that it's not coherent at all, just that it's not anywhere close as refined as the later albums).
Besides, i could listen for a year some of the melodies on Floodland alone. And i wish i was wrong went on for 20 minutes. Etc.

dei
we've got beer and we've got fuel
ryan

i only listen to FALAA on vinyl

nuff said :von:
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

echoey swamp.....yes.... they were definately watered down .
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Hojyuu-obi

Very easy to recognize the difference:

On the '88 version the printed side of the CD is black w/ white lettering, '92 remastered version silver w/ black lettering ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/ ... ing004.jpg

Also the matrix numbers are different:

'88: 240 616-2
'92: 9031-77379-2
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Black Horizon wrote:Another thing I don't get,
blah blah blah
sounds like a side oner to me. :lol:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Hojyuu-obi wrote: On the '88 version the printed side of the CD is black w/ white lettering ... Also the matrix numbers are different: '88: 240 616-2 ...
Yah! That makes me a white on black 240 616-2 kinda guy as previously mentioned Here 8)

Ta Tom. :notworthy:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
hallucienate
Overbomber

and for those of you still looking to see if your copy is the remastered version or not: click
hallucienate
Overbomber

Oh FFS!!!

Don't get it? Most of us really, really like all three sisters albums, in all their formats and variations. But we're all different and are allowed personal preferences. My personal problems with F&AL&A are the poor production and some to the Hussey tunes. I don't give a fuck if you think it's the greatest sisters album ever, I prefer another one.

Now that you've managed to get a reaction from someone can you please piss off and get back to lurking?
claws
Amphetamine Filth

Black Horizon: The 1992 remaster of FALAA is just fine. The others who doesn't like it are just being nerdy & trying to be special by saying that 1985 version is faaar better.... However, neither version of FALAA beats Floodland in my opinion... It's faaar better than Vision Thing though.
We are coming down but we will never, never land