Veteran journalist Paul Foot dies

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3905493.stm
Veteran journalist Paul Foot dies

Campaigning journalist Paul Foot has died aged 66.
The former Private Eye, Daily Mirror and Guardian journalist was known for his left-wing politics and campaigns against miscarriages of justice.
:(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I just read that notice in the paper too :cry:

Remember when journalists actually fought for their opinions? When they recognised that they had a duty to perform, and to give people a voice that they might not otherwise have had?
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Now, there is a journalist I will miss...so easy to be flippant in these times
he told the truth as he saw it .....RIP
Andie
Overbomber

Mrs. Snowey wrote:I just read that notice in the paper too :cry:

Remember when journalists actually fought for their opinions? When they recognised that they had a duty to perform, and to give people a voice that they might not otherwise have had?

Remember when journalists actually fought for their opinions?....

damn Mrs S...you must be older than i thought! :wink: :innocent: :wink:

sentiment is fully understood...that kind of journlisim has sadly dissapeared in faver of the almighty dollar(pound) and all that tabloid bullpoo that we call news... :urff:
James Blast
Banned

good points, all well made but Freddie Star Ate My Hamster!

Gotcha!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

RS i see that the daily star has at least one reader in the greater glasgow area...personally i thought you'd have some more Daily Record quotes...

i'll leave the Sport headlines alone...
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

What do you expect, though? The public gets what the public wants, and a free press has to sustain itself somehow.

I'll give a more vigorous defence of my profession later, when I'm not snowed under and suffering from severe management issues.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

@ Burn you mean like:
Ministers Wife In 'I Posed For Underwear Section Of The Clubie Book' Shame!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mrs. Snowey

What's a "Clubie Book" ?
Andie
Overbomber

@ Mrs Snowey i dunno what a clubie book is... but i'm guessing here at the mens magazine of questionable reputation called Club International...

but yeah RS...thats the kinda stuff we dont want to mention!
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I always found Club International lived up to its reputation. No question.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Mrs. Snowey

I'm vaguely disappointed by that. I was kind of hoping it was something like the Provident book. As in "the women from the Provie's here to collect her money" :lol:
James Blast
Banned

you're closest Mrs. S, aforementioned 'book' is any of the major pay by installments door jamming affairs that are/were prevalent on Council estates
~ Peter Steele
Mrs. Snowey

Now I'm older, and supposedly in charge of my own finances, I think the interest rates on those types of "books" are appalling. Quite apart from the way they sell consumerism as an escape from reality. Dont get me started... :roll:

However, when I was little, I used to think the Provie was great. 'Cos the lady who did the collecting brought white chocolate mice round :lol: :lol:
James Blast
Banned

white choccie mice, hmmmmmmm
I think I grew outta them when I discovered the 'ladies' underwear section of the clubie book :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Mrs. Snowey

Heh, heh, heh :lol:

Did you get to the thermal underwear section tho' :lol: Or is that just a Northern thing :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Damart, my only choice for thermal undergarments

~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

True story: When I was young, My Mum and Dad's phone number was pretty similar to Damart's (one number different IIRC) and they always used to get lots of phone calls for Damart. One day when I was still living there, I answered the phone to a Damart customer, and took an order for some thermals. I pretended to write down all the old dear's details and everything. What a hoot I thought it was. The poor thing is probably still wondering why they never came.

Well, I didn't say it was a funny true story did I?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:The poor thing is probably still wondering why they never came.
maybe she died of hypothermia :urff:
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Way to make me feel better! :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs. Snowey

That Bin Laden's T-shirt collection looks pretty good :wink:
James Blast
Banned

It's the Blast Products© Summer 2004 collection Mrs. S
~ Peter Steele