Sisters and the furs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Tbought id just share something i read on the psychedelic furs forum

http://www.burneddowndays.com/talk/inde ... eadid=1577
After I split from the Furs I did do some work with the band. Andrew is like the most intelligent person you'll ever come across. Does Times crosswords in 10 minutes, that kind of thing.
:eek:
ryan

moving on the thead futher

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Looking at that link you posted, d'you think that "neglekt" person could possibly be...

... our very own Chairman Bux? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ooooh, get that photo in the image gallery's "sisters live" section :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Hold on a minute - Von was considering releasing a DVD, but fan reaction to that and to the Suzanne 'release' was primarily negative??? Methinks they should recount.

So who's going to set him straight?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
twp
Amphetamine Filth

What has "fan reaction" got to do with Sisters output? I thought it was all about moolah
twp
Amphetamine Filth

This individual seems rather well informed, and has a style of no emotive writing that I am sure I have seen somewhere else before:

"Legal problems were only an issue up until 1998, at which point he delivered the SSV album to Warners to fulfill his contractual obligations. They paid him a lump sum for this release in return for the rights to the album, and to settle on the legal dispute over back-royalties owed.

Needless to say, they overpaid.

The Sisters promptly celebrated their liberation with a world tour. This tour featured several new songs, including Summer which was to be a single released through Mericiful Release.

However, Adam Pearson (co-writer and guitarist) balked at the notion of releasing a single without proper renumeration and the plans for such were put on hold.

Andrew used the tour as a showcase to garner label interest. He set the bidding at 2million US dollars.

He didn't receive any such offers.

Until he receives such monies, there will be no new album. He believes that this is the bare minimum that it will cost to properly market the band worldwide in a way that fulfills what his vision of the band should be. He is happy to not bother, unless it can be done right.

He had considered producing a DVD on his own. A track of Suzanne was leaked to the public as a courtesy to fans. Fan reaction was primarily negative, and by all guesses, the project has been scrapped. "
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I know. And a fascination with language. I'm onto it.
Chris

Karst
Slight Overbomber

The Mish toured the US as support for the Furries mid '87.
_emma_
Overbomber

neglekt wrote:He had considered producing a DVD on his own. A track of Suzanne was leaked to the public as a courtesy to fans. Fan reaction was primarily negative, and by all guesses, the project has been scrapped. "
Primarily negative :?: :?: :?: :eek: :?
Scrapped :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!: :eek: :evil: :cry:
I need to believe that this person is not Von himself, and that it's just a speculation.
Just as if a summer without a Sisters gig wasn't enough for my fragile nerves! Honestly, I'm fuckin dying here. I've been having migraines, constant fatique, lost interest in life. Even the 2 newly born kittens and tons of new nail polishes can't cheer me up! All the holiday, all the blossoming orchards and sunlit waters and birdsongs seem so mock and useless when I haven't seen him for more than a year. :( :cry:
Primarily negative reaction! Pffff.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Love it:

Further, it's also safe to assume that the word Eldritch has never been present on a check, invitation, or contract bearing my name.

:wink:
pikkrong
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
neglekt wrote:He had considered producing a DVD on his own. A track of Suzanne was leaked to the public as a courtesy to fans. Fan reaction was primarily negative, and by all guesses, the project has been scrapped. "
Primarily negative :?: :?: :?: :eek: :?
That really seems strange :urff:
Fan reaction - primarily negative? :? :?:

Well, but if I try to recall - wasn't there the canonical whining in the Dominion list when the video was uploaded? "Not soooo good as we expected" - ? :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If you're right, I hope those responsible for the "canonical whining" realise what they've done...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Blinking ungrateful, some people. But seriously, as I said, negative reaction? Eh?
Come on, let's exercise some people power. Neglekt@yahoo.com
Chris

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yeah, it got a bit of slating on dominion at the time of its "release" :roll:

i think a lot of the things that were said were pretty valid - it was fairly slow-moving, and the images werent in synch with the music at all, and it would have done nothing to win any new fans as a pice of video footage - it didnt really draw in the casually 3rd party viewer.

however, for a starved fan it was still a pretty cool thing to see ;) 8)
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I think the "negative reaction" was reflected to some degree in the ticket sales and reviews of some of the gigs that followed the Susanne "release". Remember this was used to kick-start the 'Smoke & Mirrors' tour. Some of the shows I went to were less than half-full. I'd say that was pretty negative.
The Scene won't save you...
_emma_
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:That really seems strange :urff:
Fan reaction - primarily negative? :? :?:
Well, but if I try to recall - wasn't there the canonical whining in the Dominion list when the video was uploaded? "Not soooo good as we expected" - ? :urff:
There was indeed. :? But I'd never suppose Andrew could take that into consideration. And besides my f**king reaction was fuckin positive, so fuckin positive that it balances and far outweighs all the nastiest negative reactions of the world. f**k, I'd imagined myself watching that DVD over and over again alone in my room with the candles and the lingerie and the ocean algae body lotion. And now it's scrapped! :(
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Not as if so many got to see it, it was only up for the blink of an eye.

Meanwhile some poor soul will probably be receiving some very strange email...if nothing else it will encourage him to develop his own literary style... :)
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Haha. Well, the poor soul seems to be talking very authoritatively, so either is someone important or knows someone important. I don't know, but I found the style very familiar. I shall find out if I ever get an email back.
Chris

straylight
Amphetamine Filth

The style is indeed spot on - I'll be very interested to hear what you get back, if anything.

Would be funny to think it's him & he thought none of us would notice.
randdebiel²

pikkrong wrote:
yes there was....that's the time I decided to leave....after more than 7 years...that did it for me...they finally got something and started whining directly....
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Karst
Slight Overbomber

IMHO - leave the address alone - I'd be surprised if anybody would get a response.

Btw. I suppose I was one of the people who thought the video was substandard. It was indeed very slow moving and seemed as if it was only done through the handheld camera which always seemed present at gigs. I understand that there are budget concerns with this, but why not do something like RockPalast and use that? The Mish did this earlier in the year and it supposedly got a good reaction.

I honestly don't understand why he doesn't get himself a deal with a German label. Like Sony Music Germany. Would make sense as they have the largest fansbase over there. Oh well....
ryan

oh god what did i start :roll:

(was hoping this would turn into a furs conversation so he could see if anyone had any furs boots :innocent: :lol: )
_emma_
Overbomber

straylight wrote:Would be funny to think it's him & he thought none of us would notice.
Would be even funnier to think it's him & he cared about his fans negative reactions.