Gods of Rock - the Yorkshire division

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i've been expecting lars to post this, but as he hasn't done yet, here we go:

vote for your favourite yorkshire gods of rock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/music/raw ... rock.shtml
Vote for YOUR Gods of Rock!

Who do you think are THE Gods Of Rock from this region? Bradford's New Model Army, Huddersfield's Embrace...or even Batley's very own legend, the late Robert Palmer? It's time for YOU to have YOUR say!

We want to know what you think in our Gods of Rock poll. Take your pick from our list below!

Some of the UK's best band's have hailed from our region: The Sisters Of Mercy, The Housemartins, The Beautiful South, Terrorvision, Fine Young Cannibals...and...errrr...Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction.

We want YOU to vote for YOUR favourite Yorkshire rock/pop band or artist in our Gods Of Rock poll! The winner will be announced on the BBC's Raw Talent show (broadcast every Thursday on 92.4 FM 1900 - 2200) and will, of course, be featured here!

Choose YOUR Gods from our nomination list below, then click on the 'vote' button to...er...vote !
;) :innocent:

some good options too:
Cabaret Voltaire
Profoundly influential dark Electronica from Sheffield, 'The Cabs' are still worshipped by a generation - and beyond.

Comsat Angels
Rotherham-born New Wavers who set up home in Sheffield's Red Tape studios. One big hit, "Independence Day", but so much more…

THE CULT: BRADFORD'S OWN!
Born out of Bradford's Southern Death Cult, these home grown Rock Gods of the 80s and 90s produced 19 singles.

The Gang of Four
Post-Punk political Rock from Leeds. Andy Gill was the last producer to work with Michael Hutchence.

The Human League
No introduction needed for Phil Oakey's New Romantic chart toppers from Sheffield whose album 'DARE' knocked spots off all pretenders in the race to chart domination in 1981.

Heaven 17
Half of the original Human League went on to form this additional Sheffield success story of the 80s.

The m*****n
Goth favourites from Leeds with ex-Sisters of Mercy members, great stage show and a big South American following.

NEW MODEL ARMY: BRADFORD'S OWN!
Bradford's much banned political post-Punks, still touring after all these years.

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Much-loved by John Peel, these Leeds lads delighted in their idiosyncratic label.

Mick Ronson
Hull-born Bowie guitarist who sang those great backing vocals on 'Starman'.

Soft Cell
Leeds Poly students who ed the New Romantic explosion.

SOUTHERN DEATH CULT: BRADFORD'S OWN
Bradford's 80s Goth Punks fronted by Ian Astbury.

Sisters of Mercy
Leeds Goth rockers led by Andrew Eldritch, still going strong after 24 years...despite about as many lineup changes. (See The m*****n, above!)

Utah Saints
Ahead-of-their-time Leeds duo who successfully mixed Rock, Dance and Electronica to achieve chart success.

The Wedding Present
Prolific Indie legends from Leeds released one single a month during 1992, each charting and tying a record set by Elvis.

ZODIAC MINDWARP + THE LOVE REACTION: BRADFORD'S OWN!
Bradford Heavy Rock metallers led by Mark Manning, now a poet and sometimes-collaborator of KLF's Bill Drummond.
8) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 14 Aug 2004, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
rian
Slight Overbomber

Great bands there :von:

Oh, I really have to dig out my Gang of four albums ;D
I think someone set my soul alight
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Whither My Dying Bride?

Not a fair poll, IMHO.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

Great list! I voted for the Sisters Of Mercy, of course.
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I was torn between The Sisters and Saxon.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Francis
Overbomber

Sh!t Never realised the Cult were from Bradford. Whatever happened to Embrace? They were billed as Yorkshire's answer to The Verve circa 98.

One or other of them would have to get my vote.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:Whither My Dying Bride?

Not a fair poll, IMHO.
good point 8)
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Blimey, knowing the bands that have come out of Yorkshire and actually seeing a list are two different things! (obviously) Great alternative tendancies we seem to have uop here.... is this because most of the record industry is doewn saarf ????

Good stuff.... tough vote for me, but i think The Sisters will edge it :)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Thea
Overbomber

i feel 80% cooler after reading that list of bands that come from the same county as me ;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the list on the beeb page is actually longer - i just cut n pasted the cooler ones ;)

but there are a frightening number of very, very good bands from yorkshire, aren't there? :o :notworthy:
christophe
Overbomber

I'm suprised to see a list of my favorit bands on a BBC website.
usaly no one knows the bands I like (around here anyway)
Another Shade of You.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

christophe wrote:I'm suprised to see a list of my favorit bands on a BBC website.
to be fair, a great deal of that list was compiled by our very own lars ;) :innocent:
christophe
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
christophe wrote:I'm suprised to see a list of my favorit bands on a BBC website.
to be fair, a great deal of that list was compiled by our very own lars ;) :innocent:
with here I menth where I'm from.
butt
Go Lars :D
Another Shade of You.
James Blast
Banned

:eek: The Housemartins, The Beautiful South :eek:
where was Def Leppard?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote:Sh!t Never realised the Cult were from Bradford. Whatever happened to Embrace? They were billed as Yorkshire's answer to The Verve circa 98.

One or other of them would have to get my vote.
Embrace? Betwetting dirges, dear sir. Not to be played in polite company, surely?

I really hated that band. And the Verve. Maybe my scathing review in the Hounslow Chronicle was the thing that pushed Embrace over the edge, though I somehow doubt it. My glowing endorsements of Luke Haines' finest efforts haven't forced him into the mainstream, either.

The NME we decidedly weren't, though it was good seeing Black Box Recorder in the Albums of the Year selection along with everyone else's Ibiza compilations and perky charty stuff. Fit in well, I thought :twisted:
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

you have issues andy,
Preach brother, Preach!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
F--kwit
Road Kill

andymackem wrote:

Embrace? Betwetting dirges, dear sir. Not to be played in polite company, surely?

I really hated that band. And the Verve. Maybe my scathing review in the Hounslow Chronicle was the thing that pushed Embrace over the edge, though I somehow doubt it.
I don't want to scare you but they're back. They have a new single out and everything. I heard it on Radio 2 at about three on the morning the other week when I was trying to stay awake driving back from a gig in london. It didn't help. They're still s h i t e.
You ain't seen me, right?
James Blast
Banned

@ F--kwit there are worse out there, Muse fer instance
~ Peter Steele
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Being marginally less unacceptably bad than some doesn't mean your awfulness is excused.

Back to my mental scars.
Francis
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:there are worse out there, Muse fer instance
Now you're just trying to goad me. :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the results are in

clicky

1. DEF LEPPARD from Sheffield
2. NEW MODEL ARMY (Bradford)
3. ROBERT PALMER (Batley)
4. SISTERS OF MERCY (Leeds)
5 = EMBRACE (Huddersfield)
PULP (Sheffield)
7. TERRORVISION (Bradford)
8. BEAUTIFUL SOUTH (Hull)
9. JOE COCKER (Sheffield)
10. MICK RONSON (Hull)
Andie
Overbomber

:notworthy:
The Sisters of Mercy is the highest placed Leeds band in the Gods of Rock Raw Talent listeners' poll.

that's actually quite scary....
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a slight case of over-spamming :lol:
Andie
Overbomber

Slight?...

surely you jest!...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Well, Sisters and the Cult (who are almost as much from Glasgow as they are from Bradford, I'll have you know!), win it for me. The One They Call H****y, and NMA are also more than worthy of a good few votes, I think.

There's a girl in my class at college who was ecstatic recently after having been to a "secret" gig by the walking wet weekends themselves, Embrace. :roll: I smiled weakly and pointed out that it wasn't very secret if there were people there. :lol: Ho ho ho!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets