SOM influence on gamers!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

I found this reference to SOM in the magazine, Retro Gamer issue 5. Its an interview with programmer Stuart Fotheringham. He talking about the time in the 80s when he worked with the legendry Mathew Smith of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy fame. I quote, contents of brackets are mine-
Odin's(game company headquarters) Heartland was named after SOM track of the same name and the game's(Nodes of Yesod I think) character Eldritch was named after AE, the man behind the band. Also, Marc Dawson and Steve Wetherill started a company called Eldritch the Cat, which was named after my pet cat, Eldritch.
Another mention in the same article says-
Dave and John founded Reptile Industries Ltd, named after SOM track Reptile House. Its first title was a sophisticated Spectrum 128kb shoot-em-up called Anaconda, named after another Sisters track, naturally.
So there we are! :eek:
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
hallucienate
Overbomber

and don't forget lemmings...
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

Please explain further? I had Lemmings on SNES but never finished it. :(
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
hallucienate
Overbomber

some of the levels where named after Sisters songs.
mh
Above the Chemist

And of course there's Von's well known obsession with Doom II. Now that Doom III's out we'll prolly never see that LP.

Sigh.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
hallucienate
Overbomber

mh wrote:And of course there's Von's well known obsession with Doom II. Now that Doom III's out we'll prolly never see that LP.

Sigh.
Now that Doom 3 is out I'm not too bothered about the lack of new Sisters goods :lol: :lol:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

hallucienate wrote: Now that Doom 3 is out I'm not too bothered about the lack of new Sisters goods :lol: :lol:
Fine. I'll intercept and recall that package on its way to you ... :innocent:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
hallucienate
Overbomber

and you bloody would too :roll:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

hallucienate wrote:and you bloody would too :roll:
Nah, I'd hate to see a grown man cry. :lol:

By now it's sitting in the main sorting office in CPT. Where they like to leave it for a week or so before getting of their arses and actually delivering it. :x
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
hallucienate
Overbomber

JB wrote:By now it's sitting in the main sorting office in CPT. Where they like to leave it for a week or so before getting of their arses and actually delivering it. :x
sounds about right :roll: :roll: :(
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Moving slowly back to topic....
What were the Lemmings levels called again? I know there was This Corrosion but I can't remember rest.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Purple Light wrote:Moving slowly back to topic....
What were the Lemmings levels called again? I know there was This Corrosion but I can't remember rest.
This Corrosion and Temple of Love.

Lemmings rule, btw.

So does Humans.

You can read every name of every single Lemmings level here:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solution/index.html

Enjoy!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:You can read every name of every single Lemmings level here:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solution/index.html

Enjoy!

IZ.
and here are THE levels ;-): http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solutio ... s1-10.html
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Francis
Overbomber

On the other hand, I was working in a room full of Doom II players when I re-discovered the Sisters. Strange but true. :roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Rivers wrote: Heartland was named after SOM track of the same name and the game's(Nodes of Yesod I think) character Eldritch was named after AE, the man behind the band.
The guy from Odin games turned up on Dominion many years ago and 'fessed up. Can't find the post and it wasn't that remarkable, but hey! It happened.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I write videogames for a living and regularly listen to the Sisters whilst doing so, so they're still having an influence in some ways :D