Skating

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
moonchild
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

When i was younger i didn't liked what normally girls used to do, like playing with dolls, making hair styles, etc... So i decide to go out with boys and i started to skate. I bought a Santa Cruz board and i was very happy with it (even if sometimes i got myself hurt). :roll:
I stoped skating for a loooooooong time.

Now i decide to start again, but this time not with boards but with quads (?) (the traditional skates... i think is the right name in english).

But i only find inline skates, which i don't like.

Question (after this all boring talk): Someone can tell me what trademarks are nice? Cause i dunno now what is the best to buy.

(probably none of you do skate but maybe your kids do.)

Thank you
:kiss:
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

Yep, quads are the correct name (although a lot of people just call them skates)

Riedell is the best there is, and can get a little pricey ($100-$250 US). But the quality is unrivaled and will probably last you the rest of your life.

Sydney is a good brand also, but they usually have a limited variety of styles and colors.

I don't reccomend getting them from any kind of department store because the shippers/workers tend to be really hard of footwear, so the skates will usually be pretty beaten up by the time you get to them. Plus, department stores buy the defected merchandise a lot of times.

There are a few good places to get them online (which I recommend, as they're usually sent straight from the manufacturer). Here's my favorite"

http://www.skate-buys.com/

Good luck, and have fun!
I would have done something, but I was overwhelmed by a lack of concern.
moonchild

Thank you so much. :notworthy:

I will check it right now.

CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

moonchild wrote:Thank you so much. :notworthy:

I will check it right now.

Glad I could help. I honestly never thought that my knowledge of skates would come in handy. :lol:
hallucienate
Overbomber

stick with skateboarding!
moonchild

Damn... while i was searching quads i couldn't avoid to look to some skate boards... (it is in my blood, what can i do) and now i am confused.... Be (again) skater or not be?
:?

So cool the boards from Kryptonics and also from Hook Up.
Not to mention the ones i saw from H.R.Giger.

Hallucienate and CtrlAltDelete do you both were (or still are) skaters?
(just curiosity) :roll:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Even I was one ;-)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
moonchild

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Even I was one ;-)

IZ.
Really? That's nice. The funny thing is that i only know guys that were or are skaters. Me was all the time the only girl. :? I think the portuguese girls had all time other things to do then to destroy their sportshoes.

By the way, this makes reminds me my lovely Vision Street Wear. :notworthy: :notworthy: I loved those sportshoes (maybe this is not the correct name)... well.. in portuguese is sapatilhas.. aaaah... this sound better. 8)
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

moonchild wrote:Damn... while i was searching quads i couldn't avoid to look to some skate boards... (it is in my blood, what can i do) and now i am confused.... Be (again) skater or not be?
:?

So cool the boards from Kryptonics and also from Hook Up.
Not to mention the ones i saw from H.R.Giger.

Hallucienate and CtrlAltDelete do you both were (or still are) skaters?
(just curiosity) :roll:
I used to skate, but I ended up cracking so many boards that replacing them all the time got expensive (I weighed barely over 100 pounds, but I was really rough on them). So I ended up switching to quads and inlines.

Why don't you do both? There's no rule that says you have to pick only one. Why not get a board and some quads?

Let us know what you end up doing. :D
hallucienate
Overbomber

I skateboarded for about 12 years, but gave up when my knees and back started to give in, I got a serious girlfriend and job and all those other things that take up so much time. I couldn't skate at the level I wanted to when I did and just got frustrated.

I still love watching skate videos and all those things, but I'm not sure I like the way the sport has become so commercial over the last few years.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can't even stand up on skates. The only time I ever tried boarding, the board went one way and I went the other, resulting in bruising to both the gluteus maximus and the ego. ;)

I have no sense of balance.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

I got all my favourite scars from skateboarding, except the one on my chin, which I got when I fell off my BMX and put my head through a window.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hallucienate wrote:I got all my favourite scars from skateboarding, except the one on my chin, which I got when I fell off my BMX and put my head through a window.
I can't even ride a bike! :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
hallucienate wrote:I got all my favourite scars from skateboarding, except the one on my chin, which I got when I fell off my BMX and put my head through a window.
I can't even ride a bike! :lol:
gawd, what did you do for fun as a kid?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I fell over a lot. I never graduated beyond my stabilisers.

*edit: I think what we call "stabilisers" in Blighty are called "training wheels" elsewhere.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I fell over a lot. I never graduated beyond my stabilisers.

*edit: I think what we call "stabilisers" in Blighty are called "training wheels" elsewhere.
here we call 'em fairy wheels :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: Are you calling me a fairy?
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote::lol: Are you calling me a fairy?
that'd be an insult to fairies everywhere
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Bloody OI!" :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
moonchild

hallucienate wrote: I got a serious girlfriend and job and all those other things that take up so much time. I couldn't skate at the level I wanted to when I did and just got frustrated.
I also cannot skate like i use to do it. I am rusty... :roll:
I think that people sould get time to do what like to do at most. Ok, i don't have a boyfriend... i am alone now but... I have a job (and that takes many of my time), i started again with the bellydance, i will start the classes of hidrogymn and i still have other things. But for sure i will find time to do some skate. 8) And i will show to those young boys that here, the old lady, still knows how to skate. :twisted:
moonchild

hallucienate wrote: when my knees and back started to give in,.
I forgot that lil (huge) problem. My knees are a s**t now, but i must have fun while i am in this world, otherwise this gets boring. :roll:
hallucienate
Overbomber

moonchild wrote:
hallucienate wrote: I got a serious girlfriend and job and all those other things that take up so much time. I couldn't skate at the level I wanted to when I did and just got frustrated.
I also cannot skate like i use to do it. I am rusty... :roll:
I think that people sould get time to do what like to do at most. Ok, i don't have a boyfriend... i am alone now but... I have a job (and that takes many of my time), i started again with the bellydance, i will start the classes of hidrogymn and i still have other things. But for sure i will find time to do some skate. 8) And i will show to those young boys that here, the old lady, still knows how to skate. :twisted:
I've still got a board lying under my bed, it's pretty close to brand new, someday I really should take it for a ride again...
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

moonchild wrote: i started again with the bellydance

I bellydance also. Maybe you should try bellydancing on skates. I would pay to see that. :lol:
moonchild

CtrlAltDelete wrote:
moonchild wrote: i started again with the bellydance

I bellydance also. Maybe you should try bellydancing on skates. I would pay to see that. :lol:
;D ;D That i would like to see too. Maybe one day i will try it. ;D I'm curious to do shimmy on skates. ;D

You do bellydance for how long? :notworthy:
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

moonchild wrote: You do bellydance for how long? :notworthy:
About 8 years. For the sake of all those in view of me, I stopped when I was pregnant with my kids. :lol: But I started up again about 10 months ago.

Someone should really try doing a shimmy on skates. I would like to see if that could be pulled off. :lol: