Michael gira

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

...from Swans played live in my native Stockholm, Sweden a couple of days ago! Were any fellow swede there? I have been felling strange since the concert and is working on my third day of bourbon-drunken-stupor but it doesn't seem to exorcise it...
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I saw him in Nottingham some months ago. I had a quick chat to him at the end of the gig, and he grabbed a copy of his latest CD from the merchandise stall, signed it, and gave it to me. :notworthy:

Yeah, it was pretty intense music, and it knocked me sideways.

Only time I'd seem him before that was the last Swans gig in London in 97/8 (can't remember the year exactly)
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

I saw Swans in 95 and 97 but this was far more intense! I can't understand that just one man and a (semi)acoustic guitar can make so much sound! He was as usual very polite but the man is intensity an violence personified and I was s**t half the show. But afterwards he did his own merchandising and I got to chat a bit and he signed the stuff I bought and was very polite but the man is scary anyhow!
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

yes - I think the fact that it was an acoustic one-man show, but he still managed to beat the intensity of the Swans was amazing.
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

Yes it was! I really got scared from time to time! That man contains some danger! But I was pleased to hear my favourite swans songs, like failure and god damn the sun which they didn't play on the swans-concerts I saw.
rian
Slight Overbomber

Dimehart wrote:...from Swans played live in my native Stockholm, Sweden a couple of days ago! Were any fellow swede there? I have been felling strange since the concert and is working on my third day of bourbon-drunken-stupor but it doesn't seem to exorcise it...
Nope I missed it. Was it at Narlen?
I think someone set my soul alight
James Blast
Banned

My only encounter with Swans was the album Holy Money which I bought on a Friday and returned to the shop on the Saturday. It sounded like a complete artwank to me, maybe I never heard the right stuff?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:My only encounter with Swans was the album Holy Money which I bought on a Friday and returned to the shop on the Saturday. It sounded like a complete artwank to me, maybe I never heard the right stuff?

yep...artwank is about right...agressive...but artwank all the same
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:My only encounter with Swans was the album Holy Money which I bought on a Friday and returned to the shop on the Saturday. It sounded like a complete artwank to me, maybe I never heard the right stuff?
"the burning world" & "white light from the mouth of infinity" are
awesome
and
Mona Lisa,mother earth is one of the best songs i ve ever heard
James Blast
Banned

I need an education it seems
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:I need an education it seems
we've always said that. ;)
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I did front stage security for Swans at the Mardi Gras in Liverpool in about 1988 and spent the whole gig making sure one speaker stack didn't fall over. It was both interesting and noisy. Who thought it would be a good idea to put them upstairs on a sprung dancefloor with a million k rig?
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
flowersdie
Road Kill

I read recently that Michael Gira bizarrely 'dated' Madonna in the early 80's. It was Thurston Moore who said it tho', so he may have been fibbing.
I never saw you again
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

has anyone checked out his latest release? its only available of the young god records website. Hes even written songs for his kids on the new album. Yet, even the kids songs are as scary as hell.