DVD recorder question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Prompted by a discussion here:

Does anyone know if any set-top DVD recorders also have CD recording functionality?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm not sure but I think they don't. I haven't ever seen anything on the web that suggest they can (FAQ's etc...)
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh well. Just a standalone CD recorder it is then. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Unless there's an easy way to extract the audio from a ripped DVD onto a CD? But that probably involves compressed audio doesn't it? Bah.
—Bertrand Russell
Hojyuu-obi

That would probably depend on what's on the DVD (?)
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, I was thinking that rather than buying a CD-recorder and a DVD-recorder (both standalone boxes) I could maybe just use a DVD recorder to do both jobs somehow. Then rip the audio onto the computer here to burn CDs from.
—Bertrand Russell
solitude
Road Kill

I am fairly certain that stand alone DVD recorders cannot copy audio CD's, for what it is worth, I had a Pioneer PDR509 stand alone CD recorder and it is a fine machine that has been superceded by the PDR609.
Please bear in mind that these CD recorders do not accept computer CDRs to record onto but audio only CDRs.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

solitude wrote: bear in mind that these CD recorders do not accept computer CDRs to record onto but audio only CDRs.
Oh. I didn't know that. :eek: Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess I could record onto an audio CD-RW and then make computer CDR copies. Too much faffing about isn't it? I'll just stick with plugging my computer into my hi-fi for copying tapes to CD and get myself a DVD recorder then. *sigh*
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

solitude wrote: bear in mind that these CD recorders do not accept computer CDRs to record onto but audio only CDRs.
Put the audio-cd in the machine, let it read it, open the drawer manually and replace the cd with a cd-r, push the cd back in and bobs your uncle. (There's a similar trick for turning a 75 min minidisc into an 80 min one).

Of course the cd's for stand-alone cd recorders have dropped in price since people had to use that trick and they're around the same price as cd-r's so people don't have to resort to that trick any more.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:eek: that's worth knowing :notworthy:

How do you turn a 75min MD into an 80min one then? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

It's quite complicated and there's different methods for different models (plus some can't do to at all). What you're actually doing is cloning the table of contents from an already full md onto another one (this is also useful for recovering stuff from discs where the contents have been erased but not recorded over), so you need an 80 min md that's got something recorded on it (continuously in one track so it's not fragmented from re-records and deletions and stuff.)

Basically it involves putting in the full md, putting the md player into test mode, ejecting the md, putting the other md in, making a change to the contents (a cut will do) and then ejecting the disc to write the new toc.

If you google for minidisc toc cloning procedure there's loads of pages about it.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oooh cool I'll give that a go :notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Dan wrote:Put the audio-cd in the machine, let it read it, open the drawer manually and replace the cd with a cd-r, push the cd back in and bobs your uncle.
The 'swap trick' works with some of the early (pre-'98 ) machines, but the manufacturers soon wised up and fixed it so that only audio blanks will work. The price of the discs have come down in recent years though - Big Pockets are currently selling them in spindles of 100 for £13 + postage.
The Scene won't save you...
Mrs. Snowey

Scardwel wrote:
Dan wrote:Put the audio-cd in the machine, let it read it, open the drawer manually and replace the cd with a cd-r, push the cd back in and bobs your uncle.
The 'swap trick' works with some of the early (pre-'98 ) machines, but the manufacturers soon wised up and fixed it so that only audio blanks will work. The price of the discs have come down in recent years though - Big Pockets are currently selling them in spindles of 100 for £13 + postage.
Cheers for the info Mr. Scardwel :wink: Nice to know someone else apart from R*ch*r Sounds sell the blimmin' things :D

Not that they're selling them at the moment :evil: (grumble, grumble)
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

They are selling 'em. Try looking in the audio section! (bottom of page) :wink:

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?sea ... 665a485294
The Scene won't save you...
Mrs. Snowey

No, sorry I meant R*ch*er Sounds aren't flogging 'em :oops:

Have just this minute ordered some off t'site you mentioned :D
Why do keyboards get so dirty?