Farewell VHS....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You have served us well, and for that we salute you. :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/22/dixons_vcr/
Give me one good reason
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

I especially remember with great fondness Mark Bass-Smurph’s VCR which he brought with him when he came up here to Uni.

The remote control was actually on a long cable that plugged into the front of the machine, and after an evening 'chilling' would inextricably get lost and we have to follow the cable to find the control.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I remember those, the "remote" control on a wire :lol:

Someone I know still has a "first generation" top-loading VCR. It has no remote obviously, and I think it's coal-fired, but it still works perfectly (if a little noisily) after however many years. In the mean time, I've had two slot-loaders die on me :urff:

Did anyone have Betamax? Or the third format? (Phillips 2000 or something IIRC)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
rian
Slight Overbomber

I have had 6 different VCR's during the years. The newest was bought this year. But I hardly ever use it. The kids stiil have their old tapes, but all new stuff we buy is on DVD,

RIP
Last edited by rian on 22 Nov 2004, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
I think someone set my soul alight
James Blast
Banned

my first model (rented of course, from D-E-R) was about the size of a small van
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
hallucienate
Overbomber

first video machine we had was a betamax top-loader with wired remote. It may still be in a cupboard somewhere, but I think the head is stuffed.
Thea
Overbomber

I love my VHS. While there is room in my hovel for a shiny new dvd player (should anyone want to buy me one :lol:), there will always be a home for the vidieo.
I'd LOVE to get a betamax and/or lazerdisc player. just cos they look so goddamn cool 8)
James Blast
Banned

???
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

:D
~ Peter Steele
Thea
Overbomber

The top one looks far cooler 8)
James Blast
Banned

d00mw0lf wrote:The top one looks far cooler 8)
Weirdo! :eek:
~ Peter Steele
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

Watching some of the movies I paid £10 for a few years back on VHS now makes me think that we were ripped off by the awful quality. Some movies were nice sharp transfers, such as Jurassic Park: The Lost World but others such as Dark City are shamefull. It was smeary and blurred when it was new.
Dig that grave, give me a shovel.
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
Thea
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
d00mw0lf wrote:The top one looks far cooler 8)
Weirdo! :eek:
It's Classy. Like all that lovley black vaneer wood furnature in my room 8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rivers wrote:Watching some of the movies I paid £10 for a few years back on VHS now makes me think that we were ripped off by the awful quality. Some movies were nice sharp transfers, such as Jurassic Park: The Lost World but others such as Dark City are shamefull. It was smeary and blurred when it was new.
Dig that grave, give me a shovel.
Yeah good point. I got a VHS copy of "Amadeus" that the sound is so quiet on, even at full volume on the TV you can barely hear it. And of course then you forget you had the TV at full volume, switch the video off and deafen yourself :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lucretia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Spiggy's hat wrote:You have served us well, and for that we salute you. :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/22/dixons_vcr/

Very interesting website ... some cracking good articles on there. Particularly enjoyed the piece about Bill Gates/passwords and biometrics.

Oh sorry ... back to topic :roll: :?
I've had maningi (read: "s h i t loads" in Zulu) of VHS machines in my time, having once owned a video shop years ago. I still get asked if I can help people find Beta machines, which I still had a couple of last year but mysteriously, they seem to have disappeared.
Top loaders were such a pain in the ass, I was so chuffed when I got my first front loader with a remote the size of a shoebox. And those machines were so HEAVY! Always breaking down, mangling tapes left right and centre but I got quite fly at fixing them on my own.

My previous company (media monitoring) use VHS tapes to record all TV and radio stations onto - very costly and not at all efficient. We (ie my new company) record everything digitally, it's a breeze.

I've still got Beta tapes (my fave being a Bob Marley documentary).

Kinda reminds of me of whatever happened to the 8-track music tapes that were released in the Seventies? I had the whole gadget for the car and a couple of 8-track tapes as well but that all sort of fizzled out, to be replaced by a gadget that none of the record shops in SA (at that time) thought would take off - the CD.
one day at a time
allfear

Im gonna sound really nerdy but I have 2 betamax machines (a sanyo and a sony C5, stunning bit of kit, Oooh actually i ahve 3 I ahve a sony C40 too and its stereo).

2 Philips square tape format machines an N1502 and N1702.

A sony 1/2" domestica VCR from the 60s that uses real tape.

1 Pioneer laserdisc, that is used regularly.

3 Hifi Stereo VCRs and looks like i better but another couple.

oh and about 1200 video tapes!

I think the manufactures are jumping the gun slightly, as DVD recordsers are still in there infancy with compatibility problems, and some of them especally phillips dont work properly!

I think this is more that the DVD manufactures dont want people owning recordings of the telly but prefer to sell tv programmes on DVD.

Matt
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

allfear wrote:I think this is more that the DVD manufactures dont want people owning recordings of the telly but prefer to sell tv programmes on DVD.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs. Snowey

allfear wrote:Im gonna sound really nerdy but I have ...oh and about 1200 video tapes!

I think the manufactures are jumping the gun slightly, as DVD recordsers are still in there infancy with compatibility problems, and some of them especally phillips dont work properly!

I think this is more that the DVD manufactures dont want people owning recordings of the telly but prefer to sell tv programmes on DVD.

Matt
Heh, heh, that's probably about the amount of tape we chucked the other week in an attempt to "dejunk" our house :lol: ;D Must have made a cracking noise in the bin wagon :D

I would like a DVD recorder I can plug into the telly tho'. If only so I can build up another useless collection of half-eaten films and dodgy scifi - and then chuck it all out agin when we get, ooh I dunno, them fancy crystal things that slide into a UV-lit panel and give you a hollygraphic display :wink:
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Hojyuu-obi

In a year (or two) they will be flooding us with affordable Blu-Ray disc recorders and HD-DVD recorders; who can keep up at that pace. :roll:

www.blu-ray.com & http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
allfear

Some of those blue ray machines have the asthetics of the old Grundig CED video disk players!!

BTW Im after on if anyone has one (A CED player not a blue ray!)
James Blast
Banned

I knew they'd dream up something new to punt to us :(
wish I could my Tales From Topographic Oceans on 8-track, I'd like to hear that one again
~ Peter Steele
allfear

Your better off buying the CD of that one, though I do have an 8 Track player, AND an 8 Track recorder!
James Blast
Banned

I still have a player allfear there is no known excuse for owning a recorder! :eek:
~ Peter Steele
allfear

There is I bought the recorder for about 3 quid 20 years ago cause it looked good!!!

Actually you havent got Animals by Pink FLoyd on 8 track have you?
James Blast
Banned

'fraid not allfear I have a very, very small 8-track collection
  • Yes-Tales From Topographic Oceans (tape has snapped)
    Uriah Heep-Salisbury
    Genesis-Selling England By The Pound
    Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (one tape has snapped)
    ELP-Brain Salad Surgery
I think you can guess where I was coming from when I bought them? :oops:
~ Peter Steele