Tidal wave in Asia

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

A new meaning for the word "disaster"...frightening
You look at the news and you think you re watching some Holywood movie, but you re not.
It seems the worst is yet to come :roll: :( :(
hallucienate
Overbomber

11 300 dead and climbing. Terrible.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

now 20,000 and climbing mentioned on bbc news.

apart from the obvious loss of life, there is the damage to peoples
lives, loss of livelyhood, tourism etc....

and here we are, grissling...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4123689.stm

we truely dont know how lucky we are
rian
Slight Overbomber

7 swedes dead, and many are still missing

:(
I think someone set my soul alight
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Erinyes wrote:tourism etc....
INDONESIA

The epicentre of the earthquake was off the western island of Sumatra, striking at about 0100 GMT (0800 local time) on Sunday. Dozens of buildings were destroyed in the initial quake before a huge wall of water, up to 10m high in places, hit the provinces of Aceh and North Sumatra.

Officials said Aceh was the worst hit area, which lies closest to the epicentre - thousands are feared dead there. Coastal towns and villages, and the resort island of Nias, were swamped.

...and guess where I'm going for my holiday? Yep....Indonesia!!!!
hallucienate
Overbomber

my dad was in thailand a month ago, said it's a lovely place.
Ocean Moves

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

this is possibly the worst thing i've ever seen/heard/read about. the loss of life, of livelyhood & of environment is just appalling.

i'm lost for words :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
VonOben
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

This situation indeed calls for Flood I and Flood II... :cry:
"Baby... boogie... baby." - AE
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

One casualty was from here
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Gottdammerung

And to make matters more sickening, our great leader Mr Blair only offers $1m in aid... considerably less than we spent on the war in Iraq isn't it?

Surprising how this disaster has shown how we have forgotten the Christian ideal of charity, especially at Christmas..
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

At the moment 60000 dead and counting,

by the end of the week it should reach 100000 without

the ones dying from the diseases

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

emilystrange wrote:One casualty was from here
Here as in Heartland?

VonOben wrote:This situation indeed calls for Flood I and Flood II... :cry:
I wondered whether or not it'd be insensitive to play that. I then realised that I care not for things such as tact or political correctness in these situations, and played them.

And at the moment the deaths are at least 77,828, and may soon top 100,000. (Referenced in this Clicky.)

When you think that 100,000 people are dead from it, that's
__1__
of the population of Earth gone. (The population is roughly 6,486,000,000.)

That may not seem like a lot, but thinking about it, 100,000 deaths from that tsunami. Makes other events pale in comparison.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

no not from heartland. sorry. norwich.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

emilystrange wrote:no not from heartland. sorry. norwich.
You scared me then.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Just found out my friend who's working out in Thailand at the moment had been planning on going to Phuket for the christmas break, but decided to do overtime at the Uni he's working at in Bangkok instead.

He says he's never been so grateful for overtime in his life.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Dark wrote:
emilystrange wrote:no not from heartland. sorry. norwich.
You scared me then.
i think there might have been more general fuss if it was one of us.. sorry again, dear
James Blast
Banned

can't get my head round it, it is numbing
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Dark wrote: That may not seem like a lot, but thinking about it, 100,000 deaths from that tsunami. Makes other events pale in comparison.
Indeed. Other events which earned a lot more airtime, for which normal programmes on all channels stopped, and for which the world really did seem to care.
I'm sure you know what I mean.
I know that event had a lot of political implications, and was a deliberate act of destruction by man, but in terms of sheer loss of life it doesn't compare. A life is a life, and chances are we're dealing with at least 30 times as many stories of human tragedy, families left without loved ones, and all in countries a lot less well equipped to deal with such catastrophes.

The imbalance... just pisses me off, that's all.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I had no intention to get involved in this thread, but speaking of politics...

If all the money that is now spent on rescue missions and helping the victims over there was spent on a decent tsunami-alert and some coastline 'fortifications' in the first place, maybe the death-toll would not have been that gruesomely high...

The singer of one of Belgian's most promising new BM acts was there with his GF and is still missing... Amongst a lot of other human beings.

Ok, so I'm not really objective... sorry.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

boudicca wrote:
Dark wrote: That may not seem like a lot, but thinking about it, 100,000 deaths from that tsunami. Makes other events pale in comparison.
Indeed. Other events which earned a lot more airtime, for which normal programmes on all channels stopped, and for which the world really did seem to care.
I'm sure you know what I mean.
I know that event had a lot of political implications, and was a deliberate act of destruction by man, but in terms of sheer loss of life it doesn't compare. A life is a life, and chances are we're dealing with at least 30 times as many stories of human tragedy, families left without loved ones, and all in countries a lot less well equipped to deal with such catastrophes.

The imbalance... just pisses me off, that's all.
Oh, but people are more likely to pay attention to Other events because it wasn't natural, so they believe they could have done something about it.
I admit, I said that I thought the tsunami was horrible because it was ineviatable. But even if they couldn't prevent the tsunami, defence of your citizens should not be measured in a few million dollars. It's sickening when governments don't care because it costs a lot. Well take a look now, those spare millions that could have gone to a better use than war and tourism, and maybe then the 100,000 deaths {1} would have lessened.

{1} Official figures today say it's 82,847 so far.
christophe
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I had no intention to get involved in this thread, but speaking of politics...

If all the money that is now spent on rescue missions and helping the victims over there was spent on a decent tsunami-alert and some coastline 'fortifications' in the first place, maybe the death-toll would not have been that gruesomely high...

The singer of one of Belgian's most promising new BM acts was there with his GF and is still missing... Amongst a lot of other human beings.

Ok, so I'm not really objective... sorry.

IZ.
I couldn't agree more.
Somehow I can't be sorry if something like this happens. It is a drama but stuff like this happen and no one can do anything about it now the most important thing is to ACT and not to say how sorry you are.
Btw Izzy.
Who is that singer, On what ban does he play?
Another Shade of You.
Francis
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Other events which earned a lot more airtime
I think it's getting plenty of airtime. I had to tune in to Radio 2 on the way to work this morning to get away from it. :roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
rian
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote:
boudicca wrote:Other events which earned a lot more airtime
I think it's getting plenty of airtime. I had to tune in to Radio 2 on the way to work this morning to get away from it. :roll:
It's 24/7 here. But 1.500 swedes are still missing. But it's to much right now.
I think someone set my soul alight