London or Leeds???

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm facing a huge dilemma... Because of the recent major changes in my life I've decided to leave the westcountry and move to a more interesting place. As I'm studying at the moment, I needed to make arrangements to move my course somewhere where I'm going to live. 2 Universities would take me on - Leeds Met and London Met - and I have no idea which one to choose... So I'm looking for some advise :D
I quite like London, have some friends there and tend to go there at least once a month, BUT it also seems overcrowded and violent. I have never been to Leeds but it just seems like a nice place to go...
So, any advise anyone?
THANKS!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

howzabout Glasgow? ;)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

i thought we were guessing the uk dates :lol: :lol: :lol:

leeds, coz it's north but not too north :wink:
Goths have feelings too
mik
Chameleons Guru

I'd be inclined to say Leeds because its ace, and considerably cheaper than London but I guess it would also depend on what course you're doing.

Leeds Met (or 'The Poly' as us old folk still call it) has a pretty good reputation in some departments but not so good in others.

Let me know what course it is and I'll see if I can get an inside line on whether the tutors are any good.

Mik
Something pithy.
Delilah

Thanks in advance Mik
it is Social Sciences BA.

And CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :wink: !!!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd go for Leeds. Financially you'd be much better off*, the city is smaller- you can walk from the student housing areas to the Poly (Met Uni)) so no tube fares to pay. You can even walk from the city centre to LS6 (where most of the students live). And of course London beer prices are notorious ;)

And of course there's plenty of Leeds folk on this 'ere board that can show you round "the sights". ;D

* Although rents are probably cheaper up here than London, you probably won't get cheaper than about £40 per week for a student let :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

[quote="markfiend"]And of course there's plenty of Leeds folk on this 'ere board that can show you round "the sights". ;D [quote]

:eek: consider carefully, hon. and don't forget the odd heartland invasion that may occur.

rent was £16.25 a week in my day, for a posh place!
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Swinnow
Overbomber

I'd go for Leeds too! Been here over 20 years now and still can't manage to get away.

Mind you, some Leeds bar prices are verging on the notorious too! LOL
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

As an exiled northerner with some experience of London (but not much of Leeds), I'll put the case for our nation's glittering capital.

There are problems with London: it is expensive, and like any big city there is the occasional problem of crime and general unpleasantness.

But you have the widest range of things to do probably in any city in Europe. Whatever your tastes an interests, you'll find it here somewhere. Probably twice. Rightly or wrongly, London has the biggest range of venues for all types of music (from the Royal Opera House onwards). If a band of any size is playing the UK, they will come to London. They might also go to Leeds, but they will definitely come to London.

It has a huge variety of stand-up comedy, theatre, cinema (mainstream and interesting independent), art, sports.

It's a big sprawling place, but public transport is far better than its reputation would suggest: I live 40 miles out of the city these days and have no problems getting home after gigs (clubbing would be a problem, but I've never been a big clubber).

You have far better onward connections with the UK and with the rest of Europe: London is the hub of our road and rail network, and the home of the budget airline. Leeds, for all its charms, cannot offer the same range of destinations.

People will tell you the north is friendlier. There is some truth in that, but the flipside is that it is harder to go against the grain of your community. London is too large to be homely, but it is so large you will find a community you can join into.

You will miss the countryside, especially coming from the West Country (which bit? I used to live in Tiverton, Devon, which was dull), but there's no shortage of open space in the area: apart from the central parks you've got the huge royal parks around Richmond, Putney Heath and Wimbledon Common, Hampstead Heath etc etc.

10 years ago I'd have been appalled at the idea of living in London or the South East. I've been in the area for five years now, and I find it almost as hard to imagine moving away.

See you in Leeds, then :wink:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Delilah

andymackem wrote:
There are problems with London: it is expensive, and like any big city there is the occasional problem of crime and general unpleasantness.
yes, that scares me... being a Mum I have my baby's safety to consider... Some would say - why don't I stay in Devon then, but I just cannot stay here any longer. yes, it is safe. But it is also DEAD!

. Rightly or wrongly, London has the biggest range of venues for all types of music (from the Royal Opera House onwards). If a band of any size is playing the UK, they will come to London. They might also go to Leeds, but they will definitely come to London.
but London is only 2,5 hours away...
You have far better onward connections with the UK and with the rest of Europe: London is the hub of our road and rail network, and the home of the budget airline. Leeds, for all its charms, cannot offer the same range of destinations.
it is constantly changing though. 2 years ago there weren't any budget airlines between the UK and Poland, now you have 5 or 6...

You will miss the countryside, especially coming from the West Country (which bit? I used to live in Tiverton, Devon, which was dull),
Brixham (Torbay) in Devon. But I know Tiverton very well - used to work for Reuters there (Tiverton Business Park) ... That job made me realise that I could not face being an admin person for the rest of my life... And that was the reason I'm now back at Uni...

[/quote] See you in Leeds, then :wink:[/quote]
we'll see! I still don't know where to go :D But thank you for your advise! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote: And of course there's plenty of Leeds folk on this 'ere board that can show you round "the sights". ;D
Yup.

Leeds is a fine place, came here in 88-89(ish) and still haven't left.

It has it's fair share of neanderthals, but so long as you stay away from Elland Rd you should be okay.

London is an ace place. To visit.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Delilah

FFS Dave wrote:
It has it's fair share of neanderthals, but so long as you stay away from Elland Rd you should be okay.

Elland Rd? Why this road is so legendary? :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Delilah wrote: Elland Rd? Why this road is so legendary? :wink:
Search me :?:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
James Blast
Banned

Billy Bremner? I dunno...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Neanderthals? Where do you get these brushes that you car tar such a large majority with? :roll:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:Neanderthals? Where do you get these brushes that you car tar such a large majority with? :roll:
Have a guess. :wink:

All's fair in love and war and footy.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

FFS Dave wrote:
Norman Hunter wrote:Neanderthals? Where do you get these brushes that you car tar such a large majority with? :roll:
Have a guess. :wink:

All's fair in love and war and footy.
I guess so. After last night I'm feeling particularly vunerable, so we'll leave it as is, eh..? :cry:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

...And back on track, I'd obviously recommend Leeds. 10 minutes drive from the centre and you're in lovely countryside and - if you're lucky - you can regularly meet cast members of Emmerdale in Headingley. Maybe even Jimmy Saville.

See you in The Skyrack. :D
Delilah

Norman Hunter wrote:...And back on track, I'd obviously recommend Leeds.
yes...I think I'll go for Leeds! I like trying new things!!! Thanks everybody for your advice!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Delilah wrote: yes...I think I'll go for Leeds! I like trying new things!!! Thanks everybody for your advice!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Nice one. And at LMU? (ex-City Site boy) Definately meet you in The Skyrack, now. And The Oak. Maybe Woodies and the Three Horeshoes. But probably not The Arc or Box. :wink:

Jimmy Saville is will be washing his best tracksuit as we speak :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote: [But probably not The Arc or Box. :wink:
Are either of those that big thing near the cinema? Looked scary as I drove past ages ago. :eek:

How's The Skyrack these days? Ihaven't been in there for bloomin' ages and ages. There always seems to be some gymslip students relieving themselves of the contents of their stomachs when I drive past on the way to Salvo's.

@ Delilah - excellent choice me dear. :notworthy: I can feel a welcoming session coming up. :D Headingley is obviously the place for a pub crawl, the city centre is easier for everyone but tends to start in The Angel and not really get any further. :lol: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Arc is the one by the Cinema. (the cinema's closed now!) Box is on the main road between Starbucks and the traffic lights.

I'm surprised I've never seen you in Salvo's Dave.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Arc is the one by the Cinema. (the cinema's closed now!) Box is on the main road between Starbucks and the traffic lights.

I'm surprised I've never seen you in Salvo's Dave.
salvos :notworthy:

not been for about 3 years now but it was always one of my fave places to eat. bloody lovely!! 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Hmm, mouth starting to water...I might treat my long suffering family and go tomorrow. :notworthy:

It's possibly the only place in Leeds that has remained consistently top of the tree (in it's chosen field) since I first ventured in as a skint student in 1989. I only get there 2 or 3 times a year these days.

It'd be an ideal place for the first HL Dinner Club meeting. :notworthy: :lol: 8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Amigo's is very good if you like tapas. There's two; one a couple doors down from Salvo's (no drinks license, but you can take your own booze) and one opposite Kirkstall Abbey (that one does have a license).

I'm making myself hungry!
—Bertrand Russell