Second Favourite

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm not one for lists or polls, but have seen so many references to other fav bands [from genesis to NIN], what are my fellow Heartlanders' fav. other bands? Who is second to SOM?
Personally, it's the cocteau twins...
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Too many great bands to mention really. I think this would be better moved to the 'General' section. :?:
The Scene won't save you...
aims
Overbomber

The m*****n ;D

Nah. Probably Eels, which is a bit odd given that they're musical light years apart from Messrs Eldritch and Avalanche.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

I suppose I go for bands that actually moved me. And I still listen to on a regular basis. So if we take the sisters out of the equation ...

Sheffield's finest ... :von:

The Comsat Angels

Maybe it's a me thing? It's a very nice 'me thing' though ... :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Now this is far harder than picking number one on the list. I guess I cannot pick Sisterhood, can I :lol:

No really, err, doubting between two, I think, number one being Mauro Pawlowski, some local Belgian artist, with uncountable projects. He completely rocks, actually, although he isn't that well known, which is a shame for sure, he's got the talent thousands don't have.
On the other hand there's Godspeed you! Black emperor, don't know to describe what they do, but they do bring some damn fine instrumental rock-like music, very epic.

Anyhow, it could well be that some other band gets to me in the next few seconds and I'm ashamed I've forgot them, so, don't know for sure :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Oh bloody hell.. too many to list.. I'm not even sure if the Sisters -are- my favourite any more..

*decides* Rhapsody is joint favourite with the Sisters.
Joint-second is The Velvets, Suicide, Siouxsie and Ghost Dance.
After that it could be anything.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

This is difficult since everything besides The Sisters is subject to mood driven changes. But at the moment it's definitely Joy Division.
You can't fix stupid.
ruffers
Overbomber

What day is it? What time is it? At this instant I've got The Killers album on, and I chose that out of those on the shelf so it must be them.

I dunno! The Sisters aren't even a clear number one, they're just one of the more prominent ones in the mix.

Jeff Mills
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
tooyoung
Road Kill

Theatre of Hate would be my second choice They really captured a sound that I don't think anyone has ever been able to imitate. The true originators of the spaghetti western influence. They played with the Sisters a few times long ago. I've heard Andrew was quite the fan.

Spear of Destiny and early Danzig may make the lsit too, depending on the mood.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

tooyoung wrote:Theatre of Hate would be my second choice They really captured a sound that I don't think anyone has ever been able to imitate. The true originators of the spaghetti western influence. They played with the Sisters a few times long ago.
Your mentioning of the "spaghetti western influence", makes me wonder if it was just me, or if the guitar-part in Afterhours really did sound very Morricone'ish...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
tooyoung wrote:Theatre of Hate would be my second choice They really captured a sound that I don't think anyone has ever been able to imitate. The true originators of the spaghetti western influence. They played with the Sisters a few times long ago.
Your mentioning of the "spaghetti western influence", makes me wonder if it was just me, or if the guitar-part in Afterhours really did sound very Morricone'ish...
Never thought of it that way, but you're right.
анархия
James Blast
Banned

Shriekback
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

When people ask what music I listen to, I usually say "Whatever's on the radio", which is often true.

By the way, my tastes are diverse and I am not one for the clique-ishness of some music-scene bullsh-tters. If I wanted to talk to a pussycat, I'd go down the SPCA.

How many bands, by your estimation, are playing a sound fifteen years too late?

Speaking of which, I often listen to the Eagles and Elvis - and the Sisters too, I should add (appropriately).

And finally, who was that genius of sharp dry wit and irony who had a song around ten years back with the chorus "that independent sound!!!"
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
pikkrong
Overbomber

Maybe Joy Division (at least they were the second favourite for me through years), maybe Siouxsie & The Boys. Actually I have listened to Iggy and New Model Army quite a lot recently.
Years ago I had a Death In June period, now it's over. But Sisters have remained :von:
James Blast
Banned

Hey Indrek!
No sweat, I had my Duran Duran and Go West phase too. Shriekback and The Sisters shone large though :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Hey Indrek!
No sweat, I had my Duran Duran and Go West phase too. Shriekback and The Sisters shone large though :D
I just watched "Wild Boys" video (together with various stuff by Sisters, Ministry, KMFDM, Soft Cell, Paradise Lost and others) from my PC today :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

Paradise Lost, mmmmmm
~ Peter Steele
ruffers
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Shriekback
Nice
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
James Blast
Banned

The Sisters and Shriekback were/are my two passions
ruffers
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Paradise Lost, mmmmmm
mmmmm 8) or mmmmm :evil: ?
The Green Lantern

For me it's probably Dance or Die, even though they tend to write silly lyrics.

@Obviousman - I've always been curious about Godspeed you!, but never actually listened to them. What's it like? Are they comparable with any other bands out there?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

The Green Lantern wrote:I've always been curious about Godspeed you!, but never actually listened to them. What's it like? Are they comparable with any other bands out there?
Very difficult to describe, really... They make very nice instrumentals with some very good guitarwork, very well built up, you can see a movie playing right in front of your eyes when listening to their songs... The best ones I know by them are 'Rockets Fall On Rocket Falls' (20min 42, I still cannot believe the first time I ever heard this song was on the radio, that's how I discovered them anyway :D ) and 'Storm' (22min 29)... I'd put them online for you, but, well, my webspace has limited capacity, lol, so I'm in research of a solution for that
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Did it the way I spotted before on the forum here (so hereby I thank the discoverer of this thing), so here you go:

Rockets fall on rocket falls
The Green Lantern

Thank you very much :notworthy:
I'll take a listen to it right away
Black Biscuit

James Blast wrote:Hey Indrek!
--- Even Duran had a gothic-looking mid-80s phase with their mellow Arcadia off-shoot project. But they don't answer questions about why they portrayed such a look (black suits, black hair) and have said they're very unlikely to ever die their hair black again!
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!