Maximo Park

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Anyone see their performance (or rather the singers) on TOTP? Absolutely stunning. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I know nothing about them but ten times better than the usual Northern Shouty Boys (Futureheads etc :urff: )

And the MP singer :P shirt and tie, too small nylon jumper coupled with far too tight trousers and a comb-over. :eek:

He had a few Jarvis moves ... but don't we all. 8)

In the fashion stakes there's hope for us all yet. :innocent:

Top stuff!

PS: Oasis miming ... :roll:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
James Blast
Banned

if I said I hate Maximo Park, JB would it upset you?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

If I concurred with Mr. Blast... :innocent:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Would love to join in but have never heard of them (says old fart at the back!!). Maybe I should start watching TOTP again - stopped watching just after they showed Dominion (decided they could never top that :lol: ).
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Loki

I'm not saying they're fab, hip and groovy. :roll:

Just saying that it was a stunning live performance. It takes something good for me to stop doing what I'm doing and stand there open-jawed, gob-smacked by what I'm seeing by a band I've never heard of.

It was very, very good. :von:

And if you two Jockos and our other friend don't have any Jarvis moves ...shame on you. Twice. 8)
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Jarvis moves?... :eek: Sorry, don't have the (lack of) hips :lol:

Sorry not to have my finger on the modern musical pulse :( - ask me anything about bands who have been in kerrang recently and I may very well be able to answer (and they're mostly s**t) ....but TOTP....don't even know when and which channel its on (and now I sound like my Dad :lol: )
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
James Blast
Banned

Jarvis Cock-er always seems like the type of bloke that would interfere with Airdales, to me

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:Jarvis Cock-er always seems like the type of bloke that would interfere with Airdales, to me

:eek: what is that insurance salesman doing to that dog?
James Blast
Banned

Black Alice wrote: :eek: what is that insurance salesman doing to that dog?
being Jarvis?
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:
Black Alice wrote: :eek: what is that insurance salesman doing to that dog?
being Jarvis?
ok ok - I give in! I was going to ask what he was doing with his hands - but now I know - being Jarvis :lol: :lol:

(Poor man - I'm sure he's very nice really! I mean - he was on Desert Island Discs and Sue Lawley is so obviously a good judge of character :lol: )
Loki

James ...tut tut.

Anything anti-Sheffield brings you into conflict with, umm ...whathisname? :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

DID is no recommendation these days :cry:
they've had some right obscure nutters on there recently
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:DID is no recommendation these days :cry:
they've had some right obscure nutters on there recently
I absolutely agree - strange scientists and classical musicians abound. They did have Raymond Briggs on recently (and at least I have heard of him) but he was really miserable (and not in a good *goth* way :lol: )
Andie
Overbomber

Loki wrote:I'm not saying they're fab, hip and groovy. :roll:

Just saying that it was a stunning live performance. It takes something good for me to stop doing what I'm doing and stand there open-jawed, gob-smacked by what I'm seeing by a band I've never heard of.

And if you two Jockos and our other friend don't have any Jarvis moves ...shame on you. Twice. 8)
i have seen the video on the MTV2 for this Maximo Park thingy
...i have to say that i wasn't seeing anything new or different...they seemed like nice boys...the singer has an issue with his hair stylist...and they sound like almost all the other angular guitar bands out there at the moment

another band with style issues is this lot...The Subways
but i think the bass player could :twisted:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

Beavis, he said Angular hehhhehehhhehuhhuhhhh
~ Peter Steele
Loki

Whilst, I have an issue with Andi and his Angular (great name for a band, BTW :wink: ) but go back to my previous posts. :roll:

Jenny Was a Friend of Mine. :von:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Was quite interested in Maximo Park. But, along with the Killers, I was left with my TOTP feeling:

"If I'd heard them when I was 15 I'd have loved them. Pass the Mary Chain!"
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

no dissin' The JAMC Mr. mackem or I'll set DerekR on ye! :twisted:
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Jarvis Cock-er always seems like the type of bloke that would interfere with Airdales, to me

LMFAO

:notworthy:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Andie
Overbomber

Loki wrote:I'm not saying they're fab, hip and groovy. :roll:

OT great and wise one...stunning live (in a studio) performance from a band who have style issues (and yeah i do mean Paul Smith) is one thing...i have to admit i haven't bothered to watch TOTP for years as it is usually full of chart w@nk and generally leaves me feeling somewhat subdued and mildly irritated (like a boil on the bum :urff: )...but the thought of you standing there slack jawed...open mouthed...agast...is quite frankly...disturbing to say the least... :innocent:

i do however make a point of catching the NME chart on MTV2 every couple of weeks to see what's what in the land of ANGULAR guitar britpop bands...and i do enjoy listening to the current crop of spikey haired young hooligans on the flat square thing in the corner of my living room...yet to say that Maximo Park were stunning is...IMHO...over the top...

Stunning TOTP performances would include
The Jam ~ Going Underground
The Sex Pistols ~ Pretty Vacant
The Clash ~ London Calling
The Rezillos ~ Top of The Pops
B52's ~ Planet Claire
Buzzcocks ~ Promises
The Damned ~ Love Song

and so i could go on...as i'm sure many others including your great self can and will...

*please note that i have not included The Sisters Of Mercy in the above list because which ever track i choose...someone else would disagree*
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Loki

I'm not having a pop Andi but your list ...
Burn wrote:Stunning TOTP performances would include
The Jam ~ Going Underground
The Sex Pistols ~ Pretty Vacant
The Clash ~ London Calling
The Rezillos ~ Top of The Pops
B52's ~ Planet Claire
Buzzcocks ~ Promises
The Damned ~ Love Song
...suggests miming. I think it's only in the last five years (help!) that TOTP have permitted live performances. Going Underground was always the vid with the white background and the Pistols never played TOTP. The PV vid was designed purely for that purpose as they were banned from TOTP.

So, all the stunning performances were either vids or mime.

I could be wrong but I have the Nirvana 'Teen Spirit' mime from 91 so guess I'm not. :von:

But some bands mime better than others.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

One of the worst mime jobs I can remember seeing was Bowie. Can't remember which song or when (not much of a story eh :lol: ) just remember it was absolutely dire - like it wasn't even his song. I (generously) put it down to the fact that he couldn't hear the recording!

Didn't Nirvana do a really bad mime on purpose - some sort of protest :?:
Debaser
Overbomber

Loki wrote:

But some bands mime better than others.
hee hee...I've just had a Generation X moment....ahhhh Mr Idol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Loki

Black Alice wrote: Didn't Nirvana do a really bad mime on purpose - some sort of protest :?:
Yes, that's the Teen Spirit peformance I'd referred to. Kurt sang in a slow baritone, Dave banged the wrong things at the wrong time and Kris turned his bass upside-down.

They let the fans on stage in the geetar solo and the BBC cut it.

@ Black Alice - Protest? Whenever they felt they were 'not being taking seriously' they usually did it in a different way. ie playing the 'album fillers' live as oppossed to the 'hit' song the host was expecting. Jonathan Ross is the best example. 'Lithium' ...nope, the tightest version (audio/visual) of 'Territorial Pissings' you'll ever see. They cranked up the volume and trashed the stage. Stunning Nirvana. :von:

They had to do something different on TOTP because it was miming.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Synchronicity :eek: My husband has just phoned me from wherever he is in Scotland (camping with some bikers in a field, but currently standing in a very noisy pub) but I could barely hear him 'cos they were playing Teen Spirit very loudly :D

@ Loki - thank you - thats cleared that up - I knew that they had purposefully knacked up a TOTP performance but the details were very fuzzy (mind you - that could be the alcohol!!)