Heartland Festive Fifty (Take Two)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Well go on.. The Sisters, Joy Divison, and The Sisters won the Album vote thing, so I'm gonna try again.

HEARTLAND FESTIVE 50 7" SINGLE CONTEST RULES

1) You can vote for three 7" singles, read it again, THREE singles only, and it must be a 7".
2) You actually have to OWN the single.
3) Entries are to be accepted purely via PM. Not via email, not by posting, not by telling me on SoulSeek. By all means tell people from this board if you want, but your votes aren't counted unless they're PMed to me. ;)
4) Votes must be in by.. let's say.. Sunday 10th July at 8pm GMT.

Let the debauchery begin. :innocent:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Dark wrote: 2) You actually have to OWN the single
why?
i dont own any 7" singles (cue - what???! from many HLers)
Andie
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
why?
i know :roll: i just gave him some old chat in a PM...made 9 choices and felt so much better...

i hope he has some chocolate with him...i need sweeties
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:2) You actually have to OWN the single.
Ahem. Some of us are too young to have a machine capable of playing them :cry:
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
why?
Me neither :(

@ Motz
Some of us are plenty old enough but still don't have a such a "machine"! :lol:

Having said that I think I would find this too hard - it hurt finding favourite albums :twisted:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Let the debauchery begin. :innocent:
Before or after we select the singles? :innocent:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Just because you can't PLAY them doesn't mean you shouldn't own them.

I was collecting Sisters records long before I got a record player. Hell, first thing I got was Gift, and that was nearly a year before I got a record player, so don't give me that excuse, Motz, Libby or Alice. :twisted:

This is the part where the plan starts to unravel..
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

i wasnt having a go Dark - i admire your enthusiasm for these things. but i obviously cant vote in this festive 50.....
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Dark wrote:Just because you can't PLAY them doesn't mean you shouldn't own them.

I was collecting Sisters records long before I got a record player. Hell, first thing I got was Gift, and that was nearly a year before I got a record player, so don't give me that excuse, Motz, Libby or Alice. :twisted:

This is the part where the plan starts to unravel..
Sorry (and this will hurt your record buying sensibilities :lol: ) but I have other things I want to spend my money on than singles I neither have the facility to play or, come to that, the wish!

I'm just in it to listen to the music and the more convenient way of listening to it the better!

Sorry :oops: :lol:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
ruffers
Overbomber

Motz wrote:
Dark wrote:2) You actually have to OWN the single.
Ahem. Some of us are too young to have a machine capable of playing them :cry:
I've got loads, and used to have the machine to play them :roll: And 4 boxes of 12's and LP's in my parents' loft I've got to move as they're moving house. Finally time to start mp3ing and selling....

Irrelevant I know :D
Chucking another log on
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

does it matter if you own it but its got a bite missing out of it?i fcuking love the "whistle test" version of marian which i have the bootie of but which has since suffered terminal mutilation at the hands[jaws] of my dog.
this happened a long time ago and the dog is sadly no longer with us-through natural causes i hasten to add(though i did feel like wringing it's neck-why didnt it go for "the last magician of rational thought" if it had to dine on my sisters collection?) :cry:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I'm flexible on this, Whizzkid, Burn submitted some which he used to have on 7" but now has on CD. So if replacements count, why not let mutilations count? :lol:
hallucienate
Overbomber

If you own multiple copies of a single can you vote for it multiple times?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

@ dark: ever wish you hadnt started something? ;D :P
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote::lol:

@ dark: ever wish you hadnt started something? ;D :P
I can get even more anal if required.

Say I love the 12" mix, but am not so keen in the 7" mix. Say I prefer the 7" mix of another song, which one should I vote for? :innocent: :innocent:
ruffers
Overbomber

When we say 7" single, are we talking about a combined judgement on the A & B sides? Some fantastic singles have got awful B sides, should I discount them from my nominations?

What about 7" ep's? :twisted: :innocent: :D
Chucking another log on
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

And, for more fun, what about a song which was released as a single but which you own in another form (compilation, say)?

Do you also need to own the relevant B-sides? Can I wheel out Some Boys Wander at this point?

I hope you're not becoming a format fascist. It's the message, not the medium.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

But, in a rare outbreak of sympathy and kindness to schoolchildren (over the internet? better be careful :lol:) I have voted.

I only have three 7" singles. It wasn't a hard choice. I do hope the results have been enjoyed.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Blimey I can't remember everything I've got on 7"...

Can votes include:
  • 7" singles that are in our house but I can't remember whether I bought them or mrs fiend did
  • Flexidiscs (They're 7" in diameter after all)
  • 7" singles that our dog brought in from the park (Frank Sinatra's "My Way" in case you wondered. And it still plays :eek:)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Francis
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:7" singles that our dog brought in from the park (Frank Sinatra's "My Way" in case you wondered. And it still plays
Ah! So that was your dog. Give me back my frisbee!
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Well, kudos to Burn, Quiffy, AndyM and Hal for voting. As for the rest of you nitpickers, I'll humour you. :roll:

1) If you own multiple copies, no you can't vote for it more than once
2) Yes, I sometimes wish I'd never started these, until I realise they're fun. Sometimes. ;)
3) If you like the 12" mix but not the 7" mix then choose another 7" (next month: The 12" Top 50 :lol:)
4) Count the b-sides, as they're half the single. However, if the a-side more than outweighs the b-side or it's a really crap b-side (Phantom) then ignore it.
5) Yes, you can vote for 7" EPs too if you want.
6) Whether you own it on a compilation or not, the rules are you own the 7". Otherwise I'd have voted for Body Electric, having it on the CNT LP.
7) If your wife bought them but you're sharing them, Mark, feel free to count them.
8 ) Flexidisks.. well not all are 7", and I was going to do a flexidisk top 20 in 2 months, (I doubt put together we have more than 10 different flexis) so no, not flexis this month. ;)
9) Sure, include your dog's new toy.

Bastards. :twisted:
ruffers
Overbomber

Give me chance, I've not even seen my collection for years. I need to dig them out for a refresher.

Sheesh.
Chucking another log on
Debaser
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:i wasnt having a go Dark - i admire your enthusiasm for these things. but i obviously cant vote in this festive 50.....
OOOh I have shed loads of singles that are rotting in the attic somewhere...you can have a lend :wink: Boney M, Darts, 10 cc and soooooooooooooooooo many more timely classics :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Right, I'll have to go rooting in the loft space now...
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

I don't have have any of that new fangled 7" inch vinyl. :roll:

So do 78 rpm count? :P
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]