The joy that is a new record shop.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Today I went to a friend's house. Before I went, I decided to take a look at a new record shop I'd heard of in town. It's run by a couple of students, and the one that was there talked to me about Glastonbury, the local music scene, random bands, etc, and I bought Temple Of Love 12" (finally, Heartland and Gimme Shelter! :D)

And since I was buying something, he gave me the following bootleg cassettes:

TSOM - The Top Rank

First And Last And Always/Body And Soul/Train/Marian/No Time To Cry/Possession/Walk Away/Burn/Emma/Amphetamine Logic/A Rock And A Hard Place/Floorshor/Alice/Body Electric/Gimme Shelter/Knockin' On Heaven's Door/Sister Ray/Louie Louie
(According to Paint it Black's site, this is also the last ever gig with Gary Marx.
It claims to be a mixing desk recording (and is bleedin' high quality too), the cover is a red and black image of Von's head.

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Love In A Void (Early Studio Demos)

Love In A Void/Metal Postcard/Suburban Relapse/Mirage/Carcass/Overground/Helter Skelter/Hong Kong Garden/Make Up To Break Up/Carcass/Love In A Void

I don't know what the differences in the repeated tracks (Carcass, Love In A Void) are, having never heard Love In A Void, I'd prefer to get the single first. But hey, demos. :D

If I can work out how to transfer the cassette audio to mp3, I can put this Sisters bootleg on SoulSeek for anyone who may want it.

8)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Dark wrote:If I can work out how to transfer the cassette audio to mp3, I can put this Sisters bootleg on SoulSeek for anyone who may want it.

8)
You can always use THIS thingie :von:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

You buy me it then, Iz, cause I sure as hell can't afford $150 for a new drive of any description. :P
aims
Overbomber

Just sell a load of EPs ;)
Andie
Overbomber

Dark wrote: he gave me the following bootleg cassettes:

TSOM - The Top Rank

First And Last And Always/Body And Soul/Train/Marian/No Time To Cry/Possession/Walk Away/Burn/Emma/Amphetamine Logic/A Rock And A Hard Place/Floorshor/Alice/Body Electric/Gimme Shelter/Knockin' On Heaven's Door/Sister Ray/Louie Louie
(According to Paint it Black's site, this is also the last ever gig with Gary Marx.
It claims to be a mixing desk recording (and is bleedin' high quality too), the cover is a red and black image of Von's head.

would you believe it?...Brighton Top Rank 1 April 1985
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Just took a look in the Weeding section, it's there, but there doesn't appear to be a Louie Louie in the weed. How odd.

@ Motz - Limited to 100 copies, even if I sold them all, I'd personally make about £125, so maybe I'll wait a while, non? :roll:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

You lucky bastard. Glasgow seems to be wall to wall HMV where you're bloody lucky if you can find "Twice Upon A Time" and "...Overbombing" on CD. :roll:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Any Weegie help would be greatly appreciated. :innocent:

BTW - You HAVE to get the "proper" Love In A Void. :notworthy:

Oooh, so many memories... *misty-eyed*
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:You lucky bastard. Glasgow seems to be wall to wall HMV where you're bloody lucky if you can find "Twice Upon A Time" and "...Overbombing" on CD. :roll:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Any Weegie help would be greatly appreciated. :innocent:
Not really, just the ones that have been mentioned before on another thread (Avalance, Lost In Music etc.).

Personally I'd recommend the CD / record fairs that come round every couple of months, usually in Hillhead Library on Byres Road or at the Central Hotel.

The occasional "big one" at the SECC is well worth a visit.

Check here for dates & venues.
анархия
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:You lucky bastard. Glasgow seems to be wall to wall HMV where you're bloody lucky if you can find "Twice Upon A Time" and "...Overbombing" on CD. :roll:
In Antwerp they're even putting A Slight Case Of Overbombing back in the shop window... New... :eek:

Surprised me quite a bit :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

smiscandlon wrote:Not really, just the ones that have been mentioned before on another thread (Avalance, Lost In Music etc.).

Personally I'd recommend the CD / record fairs that come round every couple of months, usually in Hillhead Library on Byres Road or at the Central Hotel.

The occasional "big one" at the SECC is well worth a visit.
Yeah, Lost in Music has been my saviour over the years. Avalanche I never really liked, too much of a dodgy So-Cal so-called "punk" vibe about the place. Too many Offspring t-shirts, I had to get out.

I've never been to the record fairs at Hillhead Library etc, but the SECC ones are a goldmine. I went to one of them when I was 15 and had a lengthy discussion with this guy who claimed to know Steve Severin (my favourite bassist of all time, no f**king question :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ). Never worked out whether he was bull s**t ing me or not.

Probably. :roll: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Too many Offspring t-shirts, I had to get out.
:lol:

It does often seem to be full of young whippersnappers who should be out playing on their bikes, not adorning themselves in chains and black eyeliner.

I don't know, kids today...
анархия
pikkrong
Overbomber

Dark wrote: never heard Love In A Void
Great song :notworthy:
Check it, Dark!
By the way, it's also available - for example - on the "Once Upon A Time" CD.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

pikkrong wrote:
Check it, Dark!
CD? :eek:
Blasphemy, Pikkrong, I'm going to get it on vinyl. :von: :twisted:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
pikkrong wrote:
Check it, Dark!
CD? :eek:
Blasphemy, Pikkrong, I'm going to get it on vinyl. :von: :twisted:
Well, I've got "Once Upon A Time" vinyl as well :D
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

young dark great stuff, but not all demo and quite easy to get on strange fruit label :wink:

Love In A Void/Metal Postcard/Suburban Relapse/Mirage - BBC Nov. 29th 1977

Hong-Kong garden / Helter Skelter / Overground / Carcass - BBC Feb. 06th 1978

Make Up To Break Up/Carcass/Love In A Void - EMI demos, Riverside Studios London 06.12.77

hope this helps 8)

incidentally i have one of the above sessions on siouxsie shaped vinyl... and no you can't have it before you ask :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Dark
Underneath the Rock

paint it black wrote:young dark great stuff, but not all demo and quite easy to get on strange fruit label :wink:

Love In A Void/Metal Postcard/Suburban Relapse/Mirage - BBC Nov. 29th 1977

Hong-Kong garden / Helter Skelter / Overground / Carcass - BBC Feb. 06th 1978

Make Up To Break Up/Carcass/Love In A Void - EMI demos, Riverside Studios London 06.12.77

hope this helps 8)

incidentally i have one of the above sessions on siouxsie shaped vinyl... and no you can't have it before you ask :wink:
Damn it. Oh well. :lol: