Neverland v When The Levee Breaks

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i remember reading an interview with von where he and the interviewer are talking about 'when the levee breaks'. von talks about the idea of covering the song, saying they would do it very well and what an amazing song it is...

he also mentions something about the drum break from the led zepp song and hints that they sampled it for neverland :???:

anyone else remember this?

i've listened to the two songs back-to-back and whilst it is very similar, i don't think its actually a sample. it sounds like they have used the good doktor to recreate the drum pattern instead... :von:

surely they would have credited it if they had used a sample? anyone seen this?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

you sure you don't mean Porl QB :???:

IMHO an excellent version btw :cool:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

positive. it was definitely von, and before rosetta stone covered it...

yeah, i like rosetta's version. some serious phase effects on their guitars on that track!!! ;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

thanks to PIB for this link:

http://www.spookhouse.net/tsom/mastersvoice.html
--In a sense, your attitude was a precursor to sampling. You were acknowledging Led Zeppelin before The Beastie Boys USED them. Is their physical, literal approach even more honest than yours?

"I think that's a lower level, a very vulgar interpretation. In about two years' time (2) I'll cover 'When The Levee Breaks' and wipe the floor with The Beastie Boys and wipe the floor with The Cults because they haven't got a grip on what is great about Led Zeppelin. It's like The m****n going out and covering Sisters' music, they just make it sound like bad Echo & The Bunnymen.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

More of the same.

this time the source :wink:

http://www.spookhouse.net/tsom/waitinggame.html

or the (surely) sampled nuclear depth charge drums from Led Zeppelin's 'When The Levee Breaks' on the finale, 'Neverland' (the Zep song, in a way, is Floodland in microcosm

:von:
Goths have feelings too
ruffers
Overbomber

Don't ask why this got boinged....

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere at the time that this was a sample of When The Levee Breaks and have always believed it to be... I don't have them both to listen to back to back though unfortunately.
Chucking another log on
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i'm going to capture from cassette the beatmix i did from Neverland into Levee, circa 1988, while in college.

when i do, i'll post it here.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

...Come see a sticksman.

Neverland in no way features a sample from the 'Zep. It's very similar - but there again check out the intro to It Must Have Been Love by Roxette :wink:

Given the whole circus/meaning around the Gift/Floodland era, I would have thought that Von would choose very wisely if he did cover/sample someone else's stuff - but he's not that daft.
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

It's the Doktor. Though Von was pretty exacting about it, right down to the slapback on the kick. It is possible that he might have sampled individual drum hits- I don't have either Floodland or Led Zep IV with me here to compare- though I don't recall if the Doktor had sampling capability like that at the time. It's not a loop from the intro to When The Levee Breaks, though.

That's gotta be the single most sampled beat ever. Besides Never Land, I've heard it (and obviously sampled) in a number of things. Gary Numan and Lacuna Coil, among several others, and that's just off the top of my head. I was keeping track at one point, as hearing it sampled so often amused me.
Left at the dead badger.
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

I remember when Floodland came out there was an interview somewhere. Von definitely said that it was sampled, because I remember the interviewer telling him how Led Zep had recorded it with the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell to get the echo.
czuczu
Overbomber

I'm sure Rosetta Stone would have covered anything :von: mentioned in interviews at the time..

Von later said he didn't expect every band to go out and start up some Zep revival... I think he might have talkng about Zodiac MW but can't remember.

Levee isn't a Zep song btw, was first recorded by Memphis Minnie in the 20s. :wink:

EDIT: I just realised this thread is 36 years old! :eek:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's not really that old. For some reason, any threads started on an old version of the board (Before November '02 IIRC) say "Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am" as their date. Probably some weirdness in the php code I'd guess.

Anyhoo, I thought that :von:'s Zeppelin revival comments were to do with t'Mish; Tower Of Strength owes somewhat of a debt to Kashmir, and of course John Paul Jones (co?)produced Children.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:It's not really that old. For some reason, any threads started on an old version of the board (Before November '02 IIRC) say "Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am" as their date. Probably some weirdness in the php code I'd guess.

Anyhoo, I thought that :von:'s Zeppelin revival comments were to do with t'Mish; Tower Of Strength owes somewhat of a debt to Kashmir, and of course John Paul Jones (co?)produced Children.
Judging from sleevenotes he was the only producer. Anyway John Paul Jones has produced an awful lot of bands. So I'm not sure his producing the m*****n was enough to prompt :von: 's comment. I just wonder.

Edit : JPJ hasn't produced a lot of bands, merely some. And Children was his first production job. I stand corrected.
Last edited by Badlander on 11 Mar 2006, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Barracuda wrote:I remember when Floodland came out there was an interview somewhere. Von definitely said that it was sampled, because I remember the interviewer telling him how Led Zep had recorded it with the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell to get the echo.
I was listening to Never Land this morning. Difficult to tell. I wasn't aware of Levee until recently when a friend was playing it to me. I thought it sounded familiar.
Badlander
Overbomber

If I remember correctly, Ministry's "The fall" (Filth pig album) was supposed to be influenced by that same Led Zep song.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

Driven wrote:
Barracuda wrote:I remember when Floodland came out there was an interview somewhere. Von definitely said that it was sampled, because I remember the interviewer telling him how Led Zep had recorded it with the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell to get the echo.
I was listening to Never Land this morning. Difficult to tell. I wasn't aware of Levee until recently when a friend was playing it to me. I thought it sounded familiar.
Trust me on this. I can remember better some of the stuff I was doing 20 years ago than last week.

edit/ although if you listen to them side by side they DON'T sound the same.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I always thought Torch and Neverland (and thus Levee) had very similar drum beats.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Barracuda wrote:Von definitely said that it was sampled, because I remember the interviewer telling him how Led Zep had recorded it with the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell to get the echo.
I definitely remember the stairwell quote but I just can't find it anywhere right now. What I cannot recall is if he used the word sample.

Even if he did, however, it's obvious that it isn't.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Ah, the good old Eighties, where artists could still steal left right and center rythm-wise and build something from scratch. There are certainly vague similarities, but not enough to sue. And it wasn't as if Plant & Page were particular gracious with giving credits themselves. All ended after the near miss of Nirvana vs. Killing Joke.

Always felt that the latter part of the Eighties got stuck in rut dominated by extensive use of the Roland TR-808 and Fairlight everything to death.

Children was the first proper production job for Jones. 'Black Mountain Mist' is more of the Zep reference on the album - which big on reverb btw.
James Blast
Banned

Bowie definitely sampled it on Let's Dance single/album and gone on record saying this.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
davedecay

from a tape that was made from vinyl. the LZ is a bit scratchy.

the file neverlevee.mp3 (1.6MB) is now online.
http://rapidshare.de/files/15865770/neverlevee.mp3.html
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote:
Levee isn't a Zep song btw, was first recorded by Memphis Minnie in the 20s. :wink:
Yes, I now know that.... I got all excited a year or so at the prospect of A Perfect Circle covering "levee" on their "emotive" cd, thinking that it would be based on the Zep version.... you can imagine my disappointment! :?

And I'm also sure that Von said Neverland was sampled from Levee, though it could of course have just been a wind up by him? Would'nt be unknown! :)
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
Ramone

[quote="czuczu"]I'm sure Rosetta Stone would have covered anything

I have to defend Rosetta on this subject, mainly to squash this subject before it gets out of hand.

When Rosetta chose cover versions to play at live shows it was done with extreme caution. Alot of it to do with the obvious Sisters comparisons at the time. Yes, we agreed that we indeed lent on the Sisters image and to some extent their sound - but alot of that was down to Hussey's guitar sound and style, rather than the whole structuring of songs. But to say we would cover 'any' song the Sisters would of is ridiculous. We recorded Levee as a b-side, purely because it's a cool tune and Karl was big fan of Led Zep. As for the other covers such as : Crucified by Army of Lovers, Enter Sandman by Metallica, They were down to personal choice and that they would sound fun done a bit Gothed -up! As for their version of "Sisters doin' for themselves", was done for varying reasons. one it was self explanatory and two our drum machine used belong to one of the 'other' major Sisters groups, can't remeber which ,it was either Slegde or Pointer !! lol And it's a great song live and proved that some goths did indeed have a sense of purpose and humour :)
motopsycho
Road Kill

I remember reading an interview with Marc Almond a long time ago and he said he was going to do some cover version with marti Rav and Eldritch was going to cover the Zep song with Vega because of it's repetition is sounds like suicide.... Obviously that never happened.
uptown top wanking
mugabe

Ramone wrote:As for the other covers such as : Crucified by Army of Lovers, Enter Sandman by Metallica, They were down to personal choice and that they would sound fun done a bit Gothed -up!
Covering "Enter Sandman" is covering The Sisters by proxy.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost