Isolation Tanks...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

...Has anyone here tried one?

I recently read the book 'Altered States' by Paddy Chayefsky and this got me interested in the experiments of John C. Lilly and his creation - the Isolation Tank.

I read up on John C. Lilly and the Isolation Tank and it sounded like an interesting and fun experience.

I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can try this in my erea.

I was wondering if anywhere here has tried an Isolation Tank, what their experience was like and where they tried it.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've tried it three times now in Stockholm, Sweden, and it's a wonderful experience. First time I was too stressed to take it in. I was mostly wondering what I was doing there. Second time was much better. It's very relaxing, soothing, strange. It's not quite like in Altered States, nor the trippy scene in 2001. It's more like a deep deep meditation. Every single muscle in your body relaxes, there's no sound, no sight, no smells, no warmth nor cold. And first you think a lot about what's going on, you try to listen, try to feel the water, try to catch a glimpse of light or something, but then after a while your mind just drifts and your body feels as if it's floating in midair. It's quite amazing actually. Try it, unless you're extremely claustrophobic. But I wouldn't worry about that.
ruffers
Overbomber

What The Green Lantern said.

I've been half a dozen times and love it. After an hour in there it's like you've had a whole night's sleep, absolute relaxation.

As he touched on I was a bit worried at first as when I went initially it was a very stressful time in my life (divorce, kids moving away etc) and I thought my mind with nothing else to focus on would just run over that. At first it was a bit weird but after a few minutes it's just a "drift". You end up aware of how slowly your heart's beating (because you can hear it, along with the sound of blinking!) and how slowly you're breathing and then lose all track of time. After a while I genuinely don't know if I've been in for ten minutes or 45 and the lights are about to come on.

Love it, and recommend it.

I don't know where you are (apart from "in my bedroom") but i always go to Floatworks near London Brdge station as they've always got offers on via lastminute.com ie buy two get one free.
btw - If you're having trouble finding one near you you might get more joy looking for "Floatation Tanks" as opposed to isolation.
Chucking another log on
Debaser
Overbomber

Me too......but they decided to pipe fukkng ENYA through to help me relax............................

In my calmed relaxed state I managed to convey that her whining was NOT required.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i'm sure you were able to make that clear with the minimum of fuss.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Debaser
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:i'm sure you were able to make that clear with the minimum of fuss.
:wink:

I did get a free session
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Francis
Overbomber

I've got my very own.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.