Ipods - argh!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Can a fellow Ipod owner help me?

I have been putting music onto my Ipod with no problems so far......BUT when the music that I have downloaded from actual CD plays there is an annoying clicking in the background (like the crackling on old vinyl which isn't irritating at all but I hope you see what I mean :? ).

Music I have downloaded off the internet plays absolutely crystal clear in my Ipod.

Could it be my CD's have a bit of dirt on them/are a bit scratched? If so - argh!!!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I don't know what you use for ripping (nor for OS), but personally I wouldn't rip my music with iTunes or something likewise, try to use a program like poikosoft's Easy CD-DA, it's really fabulous (at least I like it :lol: ), very handy and it does all you want...

Another thing could be the records copy protection, I guess there's little you can do about that except having a proper cd-drive :D
I got the noise ripping a couple of cds too using my old lg-cd drive, but when ripping from my Plextor-writer, I never had the problem...

First time I had it was on an ancient Bob Marley cd, so really strange, but it didn't occur anymore using the Plextor...
Last edited by Obviousman on 02 Aug 2005, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
aims
Overbomber

It could be that you've just ripped/played it at too high a volume. I get that problem when listening to "Some Girls" on my cheap headphones at high volume.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:I don't know what you use for ripping (nor for OS), but personally I wouldn't rip my music with iTunes or something likewise, try to use a program like poikosoft's Easy CD-DA, it's really fabulous (at least I like it :lol: ), very handy and it does all you want...
I am using MusicMatch which is the software for PC that came with the Ipod. The only other music ripping programme is Windows Media Player :oops: Where can I get Easy CD-DA from?
Obviousman wrote:Another thing could be the records copy protection, I guess there's little you can do about that accept having a proper cd-drive :D
I thought a CD drive was CD drive! :lol: Mine is grey :wink: :oops:

Thanks! :notworthy:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Motz wrote:It could be that you've just ripped/played it at too high a volume.
Okay, how would I go about changing that? 8)
aims
Overbomber

That depends upon the software that you're using. For me, I just turned down the volume control on my walkman :P
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Motz wrote:That depends upon the software that you're using. For me, I just turned down the volume control on my walkman :P
:lol: I meant whilst ripping :wink:

I'm using MusicMatch that came with the Ipod - I assumed that that's what would do the job properly
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
Obviousman wrote:I don't know what you use for ripping (nor for OS), but personally I wouldn't rip my music with iTunes or something likewise, try to use a program like poikosoft's Easy CD-DA, it's really fabulous (at least I like it :lol: ), very handy and it does all you want...
I am using MusicMatch which is the software for PC that came with the Ipod. The only other music ripping programme is Windows Media Player :oops: Where can I get Easy CD-DA from?
Obviousman wrote:Another thing could be the records copy protection, I guess there's little you can do about that accept having a proper cd-drive :D
I thought a CD drive was CD drive! :lol: Mine is grey :wink: :oops:

Thanks! :notworthy:
Err, try here, thing is it's only a trial version which means you'll have to buy or rather crack it...

You could change the volume by giving the volume button on it a spin, if that's not on it, you can't :lol:
Doesn't the front of the drive have a brand name on it :eek: ?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:You could change the volume by giving the volume button on it a spin, if that's not on it, you can't :lol:
Doesn't the front of the drive have a brand name on it :eek: ?
Ahaaa - no the volume wasn't turned up very high at all :?
All it says on the front of my drive is 52Xmax and Compact Disc :oops:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

OK have downloaded Easy CD-DA and I will let you know how I get on!
Thanks Obviousman and Motz :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

No es un problemo :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

She's back....... :lol: (what a surprise)
Okay, once I had heeded Obviousman's advice I needed to re-rip(?) the cd albums I had put on my ipod so I didn't have the electronic clicky noise on those albums - so I did that.

BUT, once I tried to synchronise the ipod with the library on my PC I found there are still a few tracks on the ipod that don't appear when I look on the PC to remove any tracks I don't want on the ipod and I can't get them to go :(

Also, some albums have appeared on the ipod 3 times even though they are only in my library on my PC once, also some artists have 3 "folders" on the ipod and some of the same albums appear more than once there as well - again they are only in my library once.

Can anyone offer me any help? I am obviously having a bit of difficulty :lol:

English version also available on request :wink:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:English version also available on request :wink:
:lol: :lol: you lost me at iPOD...
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Err.. I don't know what iPod you have, but my advice would be simply to format it (or reset, have to look into my iPod to know what it says exactly), and then all the double ones should be gone after you've synchronised it again... But when you've got a 60G one filled to the top, that would take rather long I guess :urff:

Or something else: It might be you have some slight differences in how you've written the album titles (extra space, capitals, ...) Best way to solve that is to get a tag editor (like mp3tag) and get them all right... Terrible job, takes an awful lot of time (depending on how much mp3s you have, obviously), but it's worth it, methinks...

Owh, and don't forget to give the apple site a look if there aren't any updates for your iPod software (or is that firmware :?: ), if so, you just have to plug it in and open the iPod updater program to update it then (after downloading the new version)...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Right you are Obviousman! :notworthy:

I didn't really spend loads of money on something I cannot operate! :lol: :wink:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I didn't really spend loads of money on something I cannot operate! :lol: :wink:
So I notice :innocent:

Glad to be of help ;D :lol: :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:Troubleshooting your iPod: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/articl ... dir=1&rl=1
But what about when your computer knows the damn thing is plugged in but the bloody music transferring programme doesn't?!

or when windows doesn't recognise your USB device?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Do you use iTunes or something geeky, then :?:

If you went geeky: You have to set your iPod to not auto disconnect (or whatever it's called) so your computer recognises it as a usb memory thingy instead of an iPod
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Do you use iTunes or something geeky, then :?:
No, Musicmatch - I have no idea what it is, it was the software cd that came with the wonderful thing
Obviousman wrote:If you went geeky: You have to set your iPod to not auto disconnect (or whatever it's called) so your computer recognises it as a usb memory thingy instead of an iPod
That's what I did so I didn't get Musicmatch starting up all the time :?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'd suggest to try use iTunes and see if that solves the problem, which is highly probable (though I don't like the program that much either)...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Okay, I just tried to download iTunes twice and both times I got a message saying that I didn't have access to a "key" and I got fatal errors too :cry:
Anyone?!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:clicky
That's what I did before and it still won't work now :(

Argh!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hmmm... Strange... You used to have this quick download link too, IIRC, but they seem to have taken that away... I'd send it to you, but I just busted my upload with the Tilburg torrent :( ... Anyone else?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr