Films you know are going to be terrible, but have to see...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

This one is on my list -
http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/49 ... ids_1.html

Hopefully not as bad as the Hitch Hikers effort, that would take some real effort :wink:
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I can't quite bring myself to go and see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Zuma wrote:Hopefully not as bad as the Hitch Hikers effort, that would take some real effort :wink:
I tried to keep an open mind for that one but still came out disappointed. Still, I do think Stephen Fry did a good job of the narration and Zaphod's fashion crimes hit the spot - hotpants and cowboy boots!!! As for the rest, nah!
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I can't quite bring myself to go and see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
It is not too bad actually, but like a lot of the conversations here about music, it depends on what you grew up with. If you know the original any other is never going to be "better".
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Zuma wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I can't quite bring myself to go and see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
It is not too bad actually, but like a lot of the conversations here about music, it depends on what you grew up with. If you know the original any other is never going to be "better".
Very true :notworthy:
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Zuma wrote:
I was never too convinced by Gene Wilder in the role either but the most stoned I've ever been in my life was while watching a double bill of Mary Poppins and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory under the influence. Quite frankly, I think the films were more to blame than anything else. :D
Tinkerbell
Road Kill

Green Street. Im sure its going to be absolute pony though.
Pixie Dust Lust
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i can't say i'm a big fan of going to the cinema as they're awkwardly located,overpriced and human-rights breachingly fascist re.cigarettes and alchohol.a film has to look fuckin' amazing before i even think about it.and yeah,this does mean i miss out on a lot of cinematographical excellence which is ruined by the time it hits the small screen;but it saves me watching/walking out on a lot of pants too.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I thought the new War of the Worlds film was going to to be awful but I actually managed to forget it was Tom bloody Cruise and ended up enjoying it :notworthy:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Andrew S wrote:
Zuma wrote:Hopefully not as bad as the Hitch Hikers effort, that would take some real effort :wink:
I tried to keep an open mind for that one but still came out disappointed. Still, I do think Stephen Fry did a good job of the narration and Zaphod's fashion crimes hit the spot - hotpants and cowboy boots!!! As for the rest, nah!

did you not like teh bit where they came through improbabilty all knitted and arthur threw up bits of wool?
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:i can't say i'm a big fan of going to the cinema as they're awkwardly located,overpriced and human-rights breachingly fascist re.cigarettes and alchohol.a film has to look fuckin' amazing before i even think about it.and yeah,this does mean i miss out on a lot of cinematographical excellence which is ruined by the time it hits the small screen;but it saves me watching/walking out on a lot of pants too.
What he said.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I will go and see Willy Wonka, but I'm a fan of Roald Dahl, and of Tim Burton. The result can't fail to be interesting even if it isn't entirely satisfactory.

My cinematic weakness is anything in Russian. Tarkovsky was a genius, even if his work is slow and sometimes difficult to watch. The simple beauty of the images he creates excuse the lack of narrative drive and the sparseness of the dialogue. Even something as impenetrable as 'Mirror' remains watchable, if only for the sight of the wind in the grass.

Unfortunately, every subsequent serious Russian director thinks he's Tarkovsky. And isn't. Alexander Sokurov, take a bow. Stagey, pretentious, overextended pseudo-philosophical bollocks. It's like being trapped in an A/V version of my collected postings to Heartland :oops:

That's not a problem, though. The problem is I _know_ this. And I still find myself going to see his films. I can't even kid myself it's to help with the language; I use tATu for that, who are at least honestly crap.

Come to think, you can add Lars von Trier to this list. A director I keep thinking I should enjoy, but really really don't.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G