James Ray reminisces...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:4080 Peru sound rather like a little know Belgian combo called For Greater Good :innocent:, which is not a bad thing to these ears :notworthy:
It sounds fantastic to these jaundiced ears, and nice to hear something fresh and challenging at the same time...and respect to you Mr Ray for letting these things out without complications.
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
James Blast
Banned

Click this http://www.forgreatergood.be enjoy, then buy.
it's quality Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a few...

how did he come into contact with eldritch?

what made him sign to MR?

where there any other labels interested? or did the material come about after the sisterhood stuff (ie: did that inspire him to start his own recording career)

how did von pitch the sisterhood collaboration to him?

does he have any idea how much of the floodland material was originally written with the sisterhood in mind? or were songs that he demo'd like "this corrosion" always going to be sisters of mercy tracks?

why did he leave MR? anything to do with the lack of publicity and PR gangwar & the performance received?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Q: Is Von really the hard to work with c*nt he's made out to be, or is he in fact a nice chap who created a persona?
James Blast
Banned

nick the stripper wrote:Q: Is Von really the hard to work with c*nt he's made out to be, or is he in fact a nice chap who created a persona?
and why the lack of product?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DEAD JOE
Road Kill

Q) If you had a choice of perople to work with in the music industry, who would it be and why?

Q) Do you want these tapes back as I'm not kean on the death threats
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol: :notworthy: :D
canon docre
Overbomber

DEAD JOE wrote: Q) Do you want these tapes back as I'm not kean on the death threats
Oh, the ever so knightly Heartlanders. :roll: :lol:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Q: And if you don't want the tapes back, can I 'ave 'em? :lol:
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

I have informed Dead Joe that he can sell the tapes if he gives the money to amnesty international.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

JAMES RAY wrote:I have informed Dead Joe that he can sell the tapes if he gives the money to amnesty international.
What about giving them away? :P
scotty
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
JAMES RAY wrote:I have informed Dead Joe that he can sell the tapes if he gives the money to amnesty international.
What about giving them away? :P
'cause "Amnesty International"is a better cause :innocent: .
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

DARK
Q) Do demos or unreleased tracks exist for Gift, or the single version of Giving Ground?
A) There is a Norman Cook (pre fatboy slim) mix of Egypt/Finland (I think it's that one). as far as I am aware the only version of Giving Ground is the finiashed version we presented to Andrew on completion.

Q) Why were several lyrics from the single version cut out in the album version? Because they were crap.
Did you have any other input in the songs other than singing?
A) If I remember correctly I advised Andrew on how Lucas Fox should approach his vocals and that was quite enough for me.
Q) What was Eldritch like to work with as a producer?
A) Having never worked with a producer before he presented a good disguise as one. He was learning how to produce at the time and i was grateful for the time & money he spent doing so. He wasn\t very ofay with sequencers/sample et al at the time and I wasn't too clued up on how to use a 24 trk studio. I think he learnt a lot.

SCOTTY
Q) Will he ever play Gangwar/Perfomance material Live again?
A) Perhaps, I couldn't really say. Times change and situations present themselves.

EMILYSTRANGE
A) what does he recommend for the uninitiated.
Q) Performance - Edie. Gangwar - Rev Rev Lowrider.
A) umm... what's in his soul? what would he sell / has he sold it for? and can i have something for my fanzine?
Q) My soul is full of compassion, love and

BOUDICCA
Q) Chocolate or vanilla?
A) Vanilla
Q) Top nite out or cosy nite in?
A) Depends who with. With the right person I would prefer a long night in.
Q) Cats or dogs?
A) Dogs.
Q) Tea or coffee?
A) Tea mostly
Q) Blonde or br... oh no, we already know the answer to that one...
A) Oh do you? I'm not so shallow as to make my judgements on hair colour - hair-dye is cheap.

EASTMIDSWHIZZKID
Q) for Mr Ray :-Boxers,y-fronts, or commando? \line cotton / silk /man-made fibres?
A)Commando
Q).re. "Colours" -what did you think of the Floodland version compared to the Gift version? I prefer the Bunnymen's Colours.
were you narked that Von re-recorded the vocal or pleased when it wasn't as good as the original?
A)It's of no interest to me as I didn't do the vocals on the original
Q.as the Doktor provided the Sisterhood drums,what role did lucas fox perform?
A)Another yes man.
Q.are you going to be in leeds October the 9th -would you cameo on Giving Ground for the smurphs if asked?
A) I believe I am going to be there. No I wouldn't - it's a terrible track.

MADAMEBUTTERFLY
Q. Mr. Ray How does listening to The Sisters Of Mercy make you feel with regard to your emotions?
A) Neither here no there.
a. Are you the kind of person that when listening to their music idly stands by?
A) Of course, I'm not conceited enough to do anything else.
b. Are you that person allowing your soul to take over and throwing it all out there?
A) In the privacy of my home I do whatever my mood tells me.
Q. Mr. Ray Why, in your opinion, would you suggest all the controversy, the fact that *Von* is the leader of Sisters and that no know knowledge of the dear man's life with regard to his personal background is not public knowledge?
A) I don't quite understand the question, but I don't see what his personal background has to do with anyone, or mine for that matter.
Q. Mr. Ray Is it not indeed genuine jealously that The Sisters Of Mercy are thee most adored 80's band (no matter who was in the band when) that has captured the hearts of so many young and old and a legend that still lives?
A)This is obviously a personal opinion you hold which doesn't match mine.
Q. Mr. Ray My soul has indeed been THERE and my belief after reading the *Trading section* got me intrigued by your offer. Here is mine... a. Considering your statement about drinking "South African" wine and my choice is the red kind, and you claimed to drink gallons of it, me too and the ironic twist to this is that I am South African currently living in The Netherlands. An invitation to join me in having that drink whenever it suits you.
A) I don't see the irony but if I am ever in the Nerther-regions I will give you a call. What's your number?
b. Lyrics are what in my opion are past, current, and future events in the artists lives or thoughts regarding an emotion that gives insight into the bands' soul with regard to many issues be it political, religious, phases in people's lives. In your opion how far do artists go to bring their message across with help of the lyrics? And more personally how far do you go?
A) Artists don't express the true content of their soul in a song, songs are merely a hint to what lies within, sometimes even a disguise. In my opinion art is an expression of the soul that can not be quantified in words. (see 4080peru.co.uk)

CANONDOCRE
Q) Ask him, if he's married.
A) I am not.

JAMES BLAST
4080 Peru sound rather like a little know Belgian combo called For Greater Good , which is not a bad thing to these ears.
A) Good plug, but not to my ears.

QUIFF BOY
Q) how did he come into contact with eldritch?
A) He came in contact with me, he heard a 4 track demo and called me, followed by a postcard, followed by another call. I guessed by then he was quite kean.
Q) what made him sign to MR?
A) Convincing Promises.
Q) where there any other labels interested? or did the material come about after the sisterhood stuff (ie: did that inspire him to start his own recording career)
A) There were 2 other interested labels but non with the same kudos at the time.The sisterhood project arose during the recording of Mexico Sundown Blues.
Q) how did von pitch the sisterhood collaboration to him?
A) He waited until the single malt was gone then asked me if I would make a record with him - he had the money.
Q) does he have any idea how much of the floodland material was originally written with the sisterhood in mind? or were songs that he demo'd like "this corrosion" always going to be sisters of mercy tracks?
A) This Corrosion was going to be the sisterhood's 2nd single.
Q) why did he leave MR? anything to do with the lack of publicity and PR gangwar & the performance received?
A) Correct.

NICK THE STRIPPER
Q) Is Von really the hard to work with c**t he's made out to be, or is he in fact a nice chap who created a persona?and why the lack of product?
A) He is far, far from being a c**t. We are what we are and sometimes that gets mixed up with what we are perceived to be. Lack of product? I would have thought you have enough.

DEAD JOE
Q) If you had a choice of perople to work with in the music industry, who would it be and why?
A) Brian Eno. He has had the greatest influence on my music above anyone. My admiration for him knows no bounds.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

thanks james 8)

i'll edit that all together and post the finished article in the interviews section :notworthy:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Indeed thank-you Mr. Ray :notworthy:

PM on it's way to you
QB :notworthy: Thanks for allowing us to ask!

MB :kiss:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ta da!

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8601

many thanks to all involved :notworthy: :D
canon docre
Overbomber

JAMES RAY wrote: EASTMIDSWHIZZKID
Q) for Mr Ray :-Boxers,y-fronts, or commando? \line cotton / silk /man-made fibres?
A)Commando
And how do they look? :?:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

canon docre wrote:
A)Commando
:o

for the love of god, mr. ray. please don't answer that :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

JAMES RAY wrote:Q).re. "Colours" -what did you think of the Floodland version compared to the Gift version? I prefer the Bunnymen's Colours.
were you narked that Von re-recorded the vocal or pleased when it wasn't as good as the original?
A)It's of no interest to me as I didn't do the vocals on the original
:eek: Are you saying that you didn't sing on the version that's on Gift, or that the Eldritch vocal on Floodland is the original?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
canon docre
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
canon docre wrote:
A)Commando
:o

for the love of god, mr. ray. please don't answer that :lol:
This question wasn't directly targeting Mr. Ray. More the general male participants. And it was a serious one.

Those kind of undergarments must have another name over here, because I never heard of it. :wink:

:innocent:

And it was by no means a request for Mr Ray to send in half-naked pictures. :oops:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

half naked? we should be so lucky if he's going "commando" :lol:
canon docre
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:half naked? we should be so lucky if he's going "commando" :lol:
:eek: :eek: God, the Almighty. I spitted half of my tea over the keyboard, when I found this on the net:
Not wearing undergarment under one's outer clothing is known in American slang as freeballing (or freebuffing for females); going commando is also used for both sexes
This trend shows that not everybody considers underwear essential for hygiene, especially for modern people who bathe every day.

There may be sexual motives: with underwear as the final barrier to sex, not wearing it at all is a powerful turn-on for many people.

Without sexual connotation, it may be preferred by some nudists in situations where a certain amount of body coverage is required, as the state that comes closest to nudity.
Believe me Quiffi, I HAD ABSOLUTY NO IDEA. :oops:

*shuffles off to take some more english lessons*
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

canon docre wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:half naked? we should be so lucky if he's going "commando" :lol:
:eek: :eek: God, the Almighty. I spitted half of my tea over the keyboard, when I found this on the net:
Not wearing undergarment under one's outer clothing is known in American slang as freeballing (or freebuffing for females); going commando is also used for both sexes
This trend shows that not everybody considers underwear essential for hygiene, especially for modern people who bathe every day.

There may be sexual motives: with underwear as the final barrier to sex, not wearing it at all is a powerful turn-on for many people.

Without sexual connotation, it may be preferred by some nudists in situations where a certain amount of body coverage is required, as the state that comes closest to nudity.
Believe me Quiffi, I HAD ABSOLUTY NO IDEA. :oops:

*shuffles off to take some more english lessons*
THEY LOOK FINE :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

"This trend shows that not everybody considers underwear essential for hygiene"

some people dont mind a bit of seasoning ;D