Fields of the nephilim :mourning sun review

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Just got a copy of the promo edition, so let s see what s on it

1 shroud : deep synths a bit distorded vocals, good opening track
2 straight to the light : this is definitely the single of the album, fast pace without sounding too heavy, the bass line comes straight from psychonaut though, one for the dancefloor
3 new gold dream :another fast pace song but somehow i found it not very interesting, sounds like somehting you already heard a dozen times before(and not only by the nephs)
4requiem :"at the gates of silent memory" guitar but very nice vocals and very nice synthes towards the end, an excelent track
5 xiberia :fast pace again, almost a bit industrial, distorted vocals, the nephs go electro!! another dancefloor filler, great stuff
6 she : this is worth all the years of waiting alone, Mc Coy at his absolute best ,can t stop listening to it, A MASTERPIECE and nothing less, 9:24 of heaven
7 mourning sun : another great track , ends up the album perfectly, after
"she" my favourite track

So was it worth the wait ? Y E S!!!!
canon docre
Overbomber

maybe you're right, but the production is utterly bad. Never heard a thinner sound on something which isn't supposed to be a demo tape. (as I stated elswhere already) :urff:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

What about "In The Year 2525", or the video clip? Or have you not got that version?

...Roll on November 11 :P
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

i only got a cd r of the promo, the original promo in a few days :D
, but i think it dosent include those two
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

canon docre wrote:maybe you're right, but the production is utterly bad. Never heard a thinner sound on something which isn't supposed to be a demo tape. (as I stated elswhere already) :urff:

I thought the production was pretty good... :|

As an album I have to say I like it as a whole.
She is definitely the standout track.

I'm curious as to what the live incarnation of the band will sound like.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

i think too that the production is pretty good
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ugh..I'm afraid I found it a little disappointing.A hell of a lot of cut/copy/paste from past work going on here,and yes,the production is very bad indeed.
"Straight into the light" and "New God Dawn" sound a lot like the sound NFD do,but the clearly sampled guitars,bad vocoder.and amateur drum machine just don't sound right.
Xiberia is ultra-cheesy industrial.I expect it to be a big hit in German Goth-clubs therefore,despite being appallingly bad.
Requiem is good,but if you bear in mind that it's "At the gates of silent memory" with different vocals and added thunderstorm,it looses a lot of that attraction.
"She and "Mourning Sun" are stunning however,and that's so frustrating.It COULD have been the awe-inspiring album Neff fans have waited nearly a decade for,but it falls way short of what I was expecting.=(
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DeWinter wrote: "Straight into the light" and "New God Dawn" sound a lot like the sound NFD do,
Carl said he hasn't heard NFD yet., So it may be a coincidence. 8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think that "sound" (the neff one for those 2 tracks and the one nfd have) is a fairly obvious evolution of the elyzium sound.

being as nfd have the orignal neff bassist/songwriter amongst their number, and a singer who vocally may as well be carl, it isnt no surprise that they sound like each other ;)

and i'm sure that with nfd its entrirly deliberate.

whilst the neff stuff is slightly more involved as far as ambient fx and sytnh pads go, the nfd album benefits from better production and better drums (real ones suit "the nephilim sound" more and are bigger & more spontaneous than carl's sequenced and looped sampled drums...)

who'd have thought 10 years ago that we woudl have twice as much nephilim stuff to listen too from 2 diff sources :lol: ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?