Fireworks/Christmas/New Year

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

the fireworks have already started (8 days ago)

tonight, telly adverts featured two 'Best ofs' per break

wee dram, shortie, black bun... anyone?

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Isn't it illegal to do fireworks this early back there?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i don't want to think about it.

we're at the inlaws' this year..
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

They always start early. I'm going back to the DVDs and the 'net until February. Bloody toy adverts.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Morrissons had selection boxes on their shelves 4 weeks ago :(
scotty
Overbomber

Christmas lights went up in Grantown-on-Spey today, they've no' even hud there "bony" yet :roll: , what the fcuk :urff: ?.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

scotty wrote:Christmas lights went up in Grantown-on-Spey today
Now if my memory serves me well, did we not see Chrimbo lights up in Leeds when we were making our way from Pizza Hut to t'Bassment?

So early, I wonder have they just not taken 'em down from last year?

My considered opinion is, the Christmas stuff is great, can't start early enough - the anticipation the festive season is invariably better than the reality of sitting with a dodgy paper crown on talking to a cousin you only see once every couple of years... :roll: :lol:

Fireworks, on the other hand, are great for about 5 minutes at "The Bells", but any other time of year just annoy the living s**t out of me and make me worry about everything that lives in my back garden... :cry:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I celebrate it for the presents.

Besides that, I can't be bothered with the whole christmas thing.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:Fireworks, on the other hand, are great for about 5 minutes at "The Bells", but any other time of year just annoy the living s**t out of me and make me worry about everything that lives in my back garden... :cry:
You've got an entire zoo in there then? :lol:

Last year my dog went very well through the fireworks, it was her first time. She even did not look up :lol:

Hope she'll react the same this year
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:
boudicca wrote:Fireworks, on the other hand, are great for about 5 minutes at "The Bells", but any other time of year just annoy the living s**t out of me and make me worry about everything that lives in my back garden... :cry:
You've got an entire zoo in there then? :lol:

Last year my dog went very well through the fireworks, it was her first time. She even did not look up :lol:

Hope she'll react the same this year
Well, you've got a very brave (or possibly deaf) wee dug.
It really does terrify a lot of them.

In my back garden, there are foxes, squirrels, hedgehogs, innumerable woodpigeons and other birds... and no doubt (I hope) many more small scurrying things ;D . And I do worry for them. The foxes especially - being canines - must not like it at all. :|
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:Well, you've got a very brave (or possibly deaf) wee dug.
It really does terrify a lot of them.

In my back garden, there are foxes, squirrels, hedgehogs, innumerable woodpigeons and other birds... and no doubt (I hope) many more small scurrying things ;D . And I do worry for them. The foxes especially - being canines - must not like it at all. :|
No, she's an English Setter, so I guess she has bullet and shot proof stuff in her genes :lol:

Anyway, just went to the shop and I saw it was already stuffed with all this crap for 'Sinterklaas' (without even all that newbie-Halloween nonsense being out already). Don't know if that exists in the UK, it's on September 6th, thought Santa Claus was inspired on him. It's the biggest children-fest in the entire year, on the name day of the patron saint of the prostitutes :lol: :notworthy:

But a bit early, right :roll:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Isn't it illegal to do fireworks this early back there?
There's no time restriction on sales as far as I know but there is an age restriction that shopkeepers seem to ignore more often than not. I'm surprised my street has been firework free so far this year. It's not unheard of here to see little brats throwing them at each other (I kid you not) upto 6 weeks before 5 November. The intensity seems to vary from year to year - last year was like a war zone so hopefully this one'll be a bit quieter.

I take that back - I've just heard some going off in the park!
hallucienate
Overbomber

You're meant to have an explosives licence to let off fireworks in this country, but the reality is slightly different :?

The weird thing is that people celebrate Guy Fawkes here, when it's got nothing to do with South African history.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

hallucienate wrote:You're meant to have an explosives licence to let off fireworks in this country, but the reality is slightly different :?
Aren't (or were) they quite liberal on all those kind of things in SA? I seem to rememb reading in a car magazine once about a car equipped with fire spitters or something underneath it :eek: Was something against car jacking IIRC :urff:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:the fireworks have already started (8 days ago)

tonight, telly adverts featured two 'Best ofs' per break

wee dram, shortie, black bun... anyone?

Next, it will be advertising next Christmas before the current one.... :urff:
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
hallucienate
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
hallucienate wrote:You're meant to have an explosives licence to let off fireworks in this country, but the reality is slightly different :?
Aren't (or were) they quite liberal on all those kind of things in SA? I seem to rememb reading in a car magazine once about a car equipped with fire spitters or something underneath it :eek: Was something against car jacking IIRC :urff:
I think that was true, something they did in Jo'burg, but not here.

South Africa has a lot of laws, some of them are even good, but the fact of the matter is that there just aren't enough cops around to enforce them. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I feel quite evil now. I'm temping for a well-known (and sometimes slightly mardy) chain of bookshops :roll: We changed all our stock over for the Crimble campaign last week. I shall be working in a psuedo-grotto for months :evil:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
James Blast
Banned

I feel your pain Rob
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There was a barge in Brayford Pool this afternoon letting off a load of fireworks. The smoke covered most of the surrounding streets.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Anyone? :innocent:
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

It's the Christmas music I can't stand. Enough to make one slice one's wrists - or somebody else's. :evil:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Andrew S wrote:It's the Christmas music I can't stand. Enough to make one slice one's wrists - or somebody else's. :evil:
So, no to those lovely Brummie boyz then? :cry: :innocent:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I've seen tons of "Christmas compilation CDs". They all seem to have the same songs on them.

But they omit "Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight)". Fools.
aims
Overbomber

What about "Christmas for my Penis"? ;D
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Motz wrote:What about "Christmas for my Penis"? ;D
What about it? :innocent:

They also omit "Stuff The Turkey" by Alien Sex Fiend... one of their best songs IMHO...

BOOOO-TIFUL! B-B-B-B-BOOTIFUL! Thatsa BOOTIFUL....