video codecs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Dear geeky HL people,

I need some sort of video codec for my Windows Media Player 10. When I play the file it says that it needs the codec (whatever one of those might be) and to click on "Web Help". So I click on "Web Help" and all the codecs for WMP9 come up but none for WMP10 - do any of you know which codec I might need? The file in particular is an avi. file

Thank you

love from BoF :kiss:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

You'll probably be ok if you get the K-Lite Codec pack. Has pretty much everything you'll ever need in it to play video and audio:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_sof ... =1163&s=95

The main program that you want is Windows Media Player Classic with the Real Alternative codec. It is set up to install automatically. You'll never need to use WMP10 again.

Only thing I would change in the set up is where it displays all the codecs during installation, scroll to the bottom of the list and there is a tools section. de-select all of them. They are of no use to you and they can change some of your file associations.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Ta will give it a go :notworthy:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Wahey!

sings - I managed to do it!

:notworthy:

haha now I am watching some extremely dodgy BM videos :lol: