glory, glory man united....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
streamline
Slight Overbomber

did they win then?

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

no! they lost 2-1, failed to qualify for the next round of the European cup and didnt even make it to qualify for the uefa cup.
BBC news reckons they've lost out on approx 15million!!!

finally this week has started getting better! Now if chelsea could just be docked points for some misdemeanor......
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

As a Chelsea supporter I have to agree . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch the Glazer's number cruncher decide that resignation is so pussy and jump out the window of his 17th floor apartment . . . :lol:

Everything always comes full circle. :von:

Sorry Dave. :|
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
streamline
Slight Overbomber

..and weren't they doing it all for the memory of George Best?

I am so glad I support Liverpool!

:D

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

SomeKindOfStranger wrote: Now if chelsea could just be docked points for some misdemeanor. . . .
Grrrrrr . . .
streamline wrote:I am so glad I support Liverpool!
Grrrrrr . . .

Gosh, I'm playing nicely tonight. :wink:
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

streamline wrote:..and weren't they doing it all for the memory of George Best?

I am so glad I support Liverpool!

:D
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Amen to that brother Jez! :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I know you're reading this Planet Dave, so only the one

:lol:

:wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Being realistic - we got what we deserve - fcuk all.

Being observant - still funny as fcuk to see the ABU muppets proving time and again that we matter so much to them.

Being positive - that should shag Glazers 'business plan' to some tune. Maybe we won't have to wait five years before his hedge fund creditors roll into town to claim their money back. There's a long way down still to go (ask Norm), but at the end of all that, with any luck, the club will be in the right hands (ours), and we'll head back upwards. It's all worth it to rid the place of the current morons in charge.
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Planet Dave wrote:Being positive - that should shag Glazers 'business plan' to some tune.
they'd only budgeted for qualifying for the next round though so that's what? a couple of million quid shortfall? should be able to make that up in sales of commemorative george best tankards...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

When was the club (or any other major Premiership side) in 'our' hands (I assume you mean the fans)?

These have always been private businesses and can be traded as such. This doesn't change just because large numbers of people choose to build up an emotional attachment. I don't remember many fans complaining when the club floated to raise the revenues which helped finance the success of the past 10-15 years; now comes the relative downside.

If you want bad management of football clubs, try the other end of the Premiership. Try the south coast's pas de deux. And maybe quit whining?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Quit whining? Never. There was a substantial body against the initial flotation, knowing exactly where it would lead, it was merely ignored, not having the know-how at the time to voice their protests effectively.

Obviously 'the fans' would never wish to, or be able to own / run the club, but certainly a considerable stake is not unreasonable, in order to prevent the club from being used as a businessmans plaything (cf chelski, Red Bull Salzburg, and a million others). Just because this is currently 'the norm' doesn't mean we should accept it. I don't particularly wish to see a Budweiser United in years to come - at the moment it's as likely as not. Barcelona allows it's fans a stake in the club, and they appear to be doing pretty well.

As for the south-east, I'd rather not think about it thank you very much.
ruffers
Overbomber

A massive disappointment I'm sure eh Dave? :wink:

Just not good enough - Ferguson's past it, his signings aren't working any more although he's always been a bit hit and miss but got away with it as the "kids" made up for it.

My money's on Burton

Extra bonus last night with the big girl Ronaldo getting all the stick.
Chucking another log on
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Obviously 'the fans' would never wish to, or be able to own / run the club, but certainly a considerable stake is not unreasonable, in order to prevent the club from being used as a businessmans plaything (cf chelski, Red Bull Salzburg, and a million others).
Then 'the fans' merely need to raise the money to buy out Glazer. Simple. Alternatively it _is_ unreasonable to expect to get something for nothing.

But in the real world, if you enjoy the prestige and glamour of top-level international football clubs you have to accept that in the modern game they are effectively franchises. Even Barca, where fans have the opportunity to vote in the board, are the plaything of the successful wealthy Catalan. And in the longer term, continued boardroom instability might explain why their European trophy cabinet is surprisingly bare, given their reputation. Even their Primera Liga titles are a long way behind Real.

If you don't want to follow a club which is run in this style there are countless alternatives. FC United of Manchester might be the obvious choice, but I'm sure your local lower division or non-league team would welcome your support. At that level you may even find it is possible to have a direct stake in the club: one of my happiest seasons was spent as programme editor at Spennymoor Utd.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

andymackem wrote: If you don't want to follow a club which is run in this style there are countless alternatives. FC United of Manchester might be the obvious choice, but I'm sure your local lower division or non-league team would welcome your support. At that level you may even find it is possible to have a direct stake in the club: one of my happiest seasons was spent as programme editor at Spennymoor Utd.
Agreed, but unlikely given the fact that I'm exxiled in the depths of west yorkshire, and am no more likely to give Garforth Town my money as I am leeds united. It's bad enough having to support Kippax Athletic, but as my son plays for them I guess I have no choice. :lol: And the only way to support a non-league team is with readies, as you suggest.

The main problem is that whilst not wanting to support a club ran in the manner that United currently is, as you'll well know, it's in the blood.

I'll leave the last word to some french geezer.

'I love this club, but I don't like it with him (Glazer)'.

Quite.