Merciful Release discography + Salvation/Eldritch question

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
popgull2
Road Kill

Seem to recall there was a great MR discography floating about in one of the forums a few months back - can anybody point me to a link or summat?

Also, would be really grateful for some detail on the unreleased Salvation - Clash Of Dreams mini-album that :von: worked on in 1985 - did any copies escape? Are any of the tracks knocking about on bootlegs? Are the 2 tracks from that mini-album (Jessica's Crime + Sea Of Dreams) that are included on the recent Collection Cd the exact same mixes that :von: worked on, or are they newer versions?

Thanks folks...
scotty
Overbomber

Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

popgull2 wrote:
Also, would be really grateful for some detail on the unreleased Salvation - Clash Of Dreams mini-album that :von: worked on in 1985 - did any copies escape? Are any of the tracks knocking about on bootlegs? Are the 2 tracks from that mini-album (Jessica's Crime + Sea Of Dreams) that are included on the recent Collection Cd the exact same mixes that :von: worked on, or are they newer versions?

Thanks folks...
Never got pressed so no proper copies exist.

None of the 6 tracks have ever been released. The version ofJessica's crime from the collection is the later one produced by That Guitarist & the version of Sea of dreams was from diamonds are forever. Later on I seem to remember that the band suddenly started playing it again in 1990 in a club called L.As in Kings Lyn & it sounded a bit more like the original version.

I found the original master copies of Clash of dreams a couple of years ago & passed them on to Richard - Salvation's manager. I had lunch with him over Christmas & he said that there was always a possibility that they'd release it.

Evelyn, Girlsoul & Dust up are the only 3 Eldritch produced tracks to get released.

I still have clash of dreams on cassette but I haven't heard it for at least ten years.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I have Clash Of Dreams, some 1985 demos and a live recording from Leeds 1985 when they were supporting Doctor And The Medics, on cassette.
I sent it up to scotty on CD. It's a fairly good LP, but that's just going by my not having heard any other Salvation than these demos.
network 23
Road Kill

So if there really is a Merciful Release discography here somewhere, could someone link to it?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

network 23 wrote:So if there really is a Merciful Release discography here somewhere, could someone link to it?
try the one of the Sisters Wki: clicky
popgull2
Road Kill

Thanks Lazarus Corp...

So, looks like the Salvation - Clash Of Dreams mini-LP was the only MR release that never actually snuck out - is that correct?

I have sent e-mail via the link at the Salvation website + would suggest that anybody interested in hearing the mini-LP does the same (as stated above, the band/management apparently have the masters in their possession again now, so might be a chance that if we were to look intersted, then it might finally get a belated release?).

Just trying to get the Sisters (+ related :von: stuff) collection into some semblance of order...

Re :von: production/remix work - I have the James Ray/March Violets stuff + the Salvation - 'Girlsoul' single + the Kastrierte Philosophen 12" and the Die Krupps remixes + the guest appearances w/ Sarah Brightman + Gary Moore - owt else missing after that???
Dark
Underneath the Rock

La Costa Rasa - Autopilot, released comparably recently on MR.
popgull2
Road Kill

Was Autopilot given a proper release (ie available in shops)?
pikkrong
Overbomber

popgull2 wrote:Was Autopilot given a proper release (ie available in shops)?
I think so. At least the one I got from eBay looks official and proper in every respect.
do i drive
or am i driven
popgull2
Road Kill

Kinda thinking about :von: collaborations now - am I right in thinking that he performed a cover of Simple Minds - New Gold Dream with Utah Saints at a charity gig in approx 1990? Has a live recording of that ever surfaced?
pikkrong
Overbomber

popgull2 wrote:Kinda thinking about :von: collaborations now - am I right in thinking that he performed a cover of Simple Minds - New Gold Dream with Utah Saints at a charity gig in approx 1990? Has a live recording of that ever surfaced?
1993. Yes, it exists. Check the weeding list.
Edit: maybe I was mistaken if I mentioned the weeding thread, sorry :oops:
Last edited by pikkrong on 06 Feb 2006, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
do i drive
or am i driven
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

popgull2 wrote:Kinda thinking about :von: collaborations now - am I right in thinking that he performed a cover of Simple Minds - New Gold Dream with Utah Saints at a charity gig in approx 1990? Has a live recording of that ever surfaced?
Yep, there's one known recording, which is to get here
(though it's rather poor quality)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Sorry if this seems a little dense (it's Monday and I was up late). Would I be right in thinking that Jessica's Crime was never a Sisters song, rather a Salvation number? I picked up a tape years ago at one of those record fairs at Leeds Poly called "Victims Demos & Rarities" - had Crime on it, as well as Dance on Glass, Marian sung to the tune of FALAA, Gardens of Delight. For years I'd assumed that Crime was one of :von:'s - I'm guessing I Was Wrong, hmm? :D
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
czuczu
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
Yep, there's one known recording, which is to get here
(though it's rather poor quality)
Isn't the original source of that recording here? I'm sure I've seen his pic in the gallery. Would be nice to get a clean version from the master..

There were cameras there that night too - local news or something, never seen anything from it though...
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote:Sorry if this seems a little dense (it's Monday and I was up late). Would I be right in thinking that Jessica's Crime was never a Sisters song, rather a Salvation number? I picked up a tape years ago at one of those record fairs at Leeds Poly called "Victims Demos & Rarities" - had Crime on it, as well as Dance on Glass, Marian sung to the tune of FALAA, Gardens of Delight. For years I'd assumed that Crime was one of :von:'s - I'm guessing I Was Wrong, hmm? :D
That would be 'Victims of Circumstance', a compilation of Sisters & related bands. Sallies (produced by von) Skellies (Sisters support band) etc.

Originally put together by no less than Gary Marx, according to previous posts on here. :innocent:
Give me one good reason
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Jessica's Crime was never a sisters song and always a salvation song.

it was written and performed live during their time on merciful release, and a version of it was slated to be on the never-released salvation album "clash of dreams".

however, they'd left the MR label by the time it was actually recorded for single release. this recorded version was produced by That Guitarist.

http://www.salvationhq.co.uk/discography/jessica12.php

Jessica's Crime

Track Listing:
A. Jessica's Crime
B1. The Shining
B2. Shattered Sky

Personnel:
Daniel Mass - Vocals
Choque Hosein - Guitar
James Elmore - Bass
Dr Rhythm - Drums
Carolyn Harley - Viola

Information:
Catalogue Number: USS 104
Label: Batfish Incorporated
Year: 1985
i'd say that if there was any confusion over the track it was because of the number of connections to the sisters.

and as far as i understand it, the source of the eldritch/utah saints recording is heartland member "dan".
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
czuczu
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: ..............................
and as far as i understand it, the source of the eldritch/utah saints recording is heartland member "dan".
And there was me being all discrete! :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

;D :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

:notworthy: Grazie mille, Messrs. Quiff and Hat :notworthy:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

czuczu wrote:
Dan's the source according to me too. But he said this was as good as it gets :urff: He was flipping over the tape as :von: came on stage, AFAIK
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
czuczu
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
czuczu wrote:
Dan's the source according to me too. But he said this was as good as it gets :urff: He was flipping over the tape as :von: came on stage, AFAIK
Are any of the copies circulating on CD direct from his master though? I've heard a couple of different gen copies and they sound quite different -with a bit of TLC I reckon it would be possible to get something sounding noticeably better..
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Better give Dan a PM to inform or wait til he gets on this thread then :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr