06 May - UEA - Norwich

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
James Blast
Banned

Sounds like a kickin' night, glad you enjoyed it , Leeds was better! :P

just a request, could miss spookiness + Gimme_The_Ring please lose the the images in their sigs, we're not fans of them round here, thankee Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

moreau wrote:
Do you wear glasses and were you with your other half?
Yeah that was me, I thought I'd better wear them to see through the smoke. :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:Yeah that was me, I thought I'd better wear them to see through the smoke. :wink:
didn't work, did it? :lol:

and thankee for losing the sig image :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:Kept forgetting to mention that in the queue outside I was standing pretty close to a guy with a Heartland t-shirt and he/you were with a bald guy who looked like Keith from The Prodigy. 8) We were close to the front of the queue and I was wearing a light blue Sisters t-shirt and I've got a ginger skinhead.

If that was you - hello!! ;D
That'll be me (in the T-Shirt) and Lee (Eastmidswizzkid)!

I left during Temple, not because it wasn't a storming gig, because it was, but I had a killer headache and couldn't take any more! Vocals were spot on tonight.

Oh met this young man while I was there. Apparently he plays with a popular beat combo.

24.24.2.489 Deceased
miss spookiness
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:Sounds like a kickin' night, glad you enjoyed it , Leeds was better! :P

just a request, could miss spookiness + Gimme_The_Ring please lose the the images in their sigs, we're not fans of them round here, thankee Image
okie, sorry, didnt realise that! they're gone now...

sorry! :D
There Is No You,There Is Only Me
James Blast
Banned

miss spookiness wrote:sorry! :D
obliged, muchly :D
nae probs
~ Peter Steele
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:That would be especially the Goth Brigade because, now more than ever, the Sisters aren't a goth band, as has been very much apparent since at least the turn of the millenium. Yet, for some strange reason, it's still an unwritten rite that those wearing velvet capes must attend every local Sisters gig, if only to complain about it afterwards :urff:
If goths - new or old - didn't show up at Sisters gigs, who would? It's not like they attract huge crowds of pop/rock fans. "Have you heard The Sisters' last 15 years of unreleased material? It's kinda great, let's go see them!"
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

CellThree wrote:That'll be me (in the T-Shirt) and Lee (Eastmidswizzkid)!
Next time I'll say hello. :wink:
mh
Above the Chemist

Oh dear, here we go again. People turn up expecting a Rolling Stones type nostalgia trip, and instead what they get is hard evidence that their favourite band is shiny, new, vibrant and alive. Well, boo-hoo!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
jherek
Road Kill

back home after the norwich gig last night - and what can I say other than it was a stormer!

the sound was spot on & :von: vocals were clear & strong again.
have I just been lucky, but I've yet to see a bad night on this tour?

as for the whole volume debate - well the ivories were louder than the sisters, but the sound was sluggish & turgid.
sometimes less is more - plus the sisters were plenty loud enough for me.

hilight of the night - hung round the exit after the gig with my wife & another sisters fan from london who we met at the gig (hi there!), standing in the pouring rain chatting to chris & smoking his fags for about 3/4 of an hour.

as has been said before, what a cool guy chris is. he was really friendly & funny & happy to share his time with us.
some of the things he told us:
he bought his white jacket in dallas
he thought the astoria gig was s**t
they have watched the 'team america' dvd many times on the tour bus
:von: is the boss, but if chris or ben really don't want a particular song on the setlist it will be dropped
chris doesn't love everything from the sisters backlist (didn't say what tho)

so once again, if you are thinking of catching the sisters - ignore the doom-mongers - its still the best show in your town.
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

jherek wrote:so once again, if you are thinking of catching the sisters - ignore the doom-mongers - its still the best show in your town.
Totally agree mate, last nights show was fantastic so if anyone reading this is still to catch the Sisters live during the remaining dates of this tour don't let the other topics put you off. :notworthy:

Last nights show was almost as good as when I went to see Curiosity Killed The Cat/Altered Images/Toyah and Nick Heyward at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft about a year ago. ;D
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

I've been to two gigs on this tour the Astoria and Norwich and I haven't seen Jessica filming, like she has done in the past.Perhaps filming were done at other venue's of this long tour?
miss spookiness
Road Kill

elamanamou wrote:I've been to two gigs on this tour the Astoria and Norwich and I haven't seen Jessica filming, like she has done in the past.Perhaps filming were done at other venue's of this long tour?
in norwich there was definately a camera filming from the back, next to the sound desk. and at the astoria, i think i remember seeing someone on the side of the stage, but im not sure if they were just taking pictures, or filming. too much smoke and too many tall people for me to see properly, hehe :) there was someone taking pictures outside the astoria too, of the queue, not sure what that was for.
James Blast
Banned

there was a videao camera rightside of the mixing desk at Leeds, it wasn't switched on
~ Peter Steele
jande

James Blast wrote:there was a video camera rightside of the mixing desk at Leeds, it wasn't switched on
I was stood by the side of the mixing desk at both Leeds and Manchester and it looked switched on to me. At Manchester they had to change the tape or something but I can't recall if it was before or after alice and anaconda
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the reviews! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
scotty
Overbomber

jande wrote:
James Blast wrote:there was a video camera rightside of the mixing desk at Leeds, it wasn't switched on
I was stood by the side of the mixing desk at both Leeds and Manchester and it looked switched on to me. At Manchester they had to change the tape or something but I can't recall if it was before or after alice and anaconda
The camera was also right down the front at Leeds :wink: , although I was pished and had lost my glasses at this point it was most definitely switched on.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

scotty wrote:
jande wrote:
The camera was also right down the front at Leeds :wink: , although I was pished and had lost my glasses at this point it was most definitely switched on.
In Brussels as well, on all the time. The bloke followed Von's every step :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

I was at the bar, behind the mixing desk until Never Land (an extended fragment)
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock

mh wrote:Oh dear, here we go again. People turn up expecting a Rolling Stones type nostalgia trip, and instead what they get is hard evidence that their favourite band is shiny, new, vibrant and alive. Well, boo-hoo!!!
Yep shiny,new,vibrant and still playing the same sub-metal s**t they started playing in 1990 and pissed us moaning old twats off with then.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
moreau
Road Kill

It certainly must have been a nostalgia trip for some as I hardly feel two smoke machines on maximum and a few coloured lights make a 21st Century rock gig. It looked like a rock gig held at Phoenix Nights.

It was as though we had gone back to 1983 but with a better drum machine. It appears that AE has learnt little in the way of stagecraft in all that time. I've been to gigs by artists that I didnt really want to see or even enjoyed their music, but I have always come away either with a new found respect for their style, professionalism or wanting to explore their back catalogue.

This just looked tired and cheap and I dont pay £21 which is pricey for the UEA to watch a coloured cloud with noise coming out of it for fun. Hardly a slick, new, vibrant rock machine. Nothing new there at all.

See NIN, Monster Magnet or Marilyn Manson for a real gig instead.
wild bill buttock

moreau wrote:
See NIN, Monster Magnet or Marilyn Manson for a real gig instead.

I think I'll pass on that lot as well.Apart from NIN circa 94.

I am a particularly grumpy,moaning old school Sisters fan,I'm afraid. I have boycotted all Sisters gigs since '98(?),possibly the crapest,most dissapointing gig I ever saw and,judging by the bootlegs,I've heard from this tour things have got worse.In fact instead of going to see Von and his current gang of merry metalheads I went to see "Covenant" instead and they rocked(If a techno/cyber band can do such a thing?)
miss spookiness
Road Kill

im beginning to think i was at a different gig to everyone else :?

i thought it was fantastic!
James Blast
Banned

your punctuation is still shocking wbb, so I' ll go with the 'Wednesday in Leeds they were Rock Action!' crew :twisted:

and you were not at a different gig miss spookiness
Last edited by James Blast on 07 May 2006, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock

moreau wrote:It certainly must have been a nostalgia trip for some as I hardly feel two smoke machines on maximum and a few coloured lights make a 21st Century rock gig. It looked like a rock gig held at Phoenix Nights.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Easily the best review I've read yet,

How now hey now now
sing this corrosion to me SHABBA! ;D