May 2 - London Astoria

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

The Astoria show was sadly underpar, and I'm willing to give The Sisters the benefit of the doubt that they were not at fault for some of things that rendered the experience not of the high standard I am used to from them. Much as it pains me to say, The Sisters were having an off night yesterday. I hope the other shows are significantly better.

Some people think The Sisters can do no wrong, and whatever the Sisters do is great, because it's The Sisters.

Why are some people so undemanding?
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

where to begin....

first time at the Astoria and first Sisters gig since Wolverhampton a couple of years ago. That said I have seen them on evey UK tour since FALAA.

Venue - I kinda liked it - not perfect but you could get real close to the stage which is always a plus!

Crowd - I thought the band were on a lose lose situation here - pockets of fans who were up for a top nite out - but way too many looking for side 2 of FALAA and WH on guitar. This band has evolved - it's 2006 - accept it!

Smoke - not enough - I was expecting heaps after the comments on the North American gigs - I love to see the smoke engulf the audience.

Sound - mixed - but not hugely surprising - definitely lost it in the middle but the start and finish really rocked!

Band - Thought the guitarists kicked it! But then again I love riff's - again it's evolution - WH had the solo on KOHD dialled - but that was then and this is now.

Highpoints - Alice, Dominion and This Corrosion - the latter was the best I ever experienced - choral chanting from the crowd - singing it right back - the FA should have picked this song in place of Embrace based on last night - I can hear the England fans singing this to the German Fans in the final - (I am tripping here)

Low points - short ish set -

End result - top nite out (I knew it would be)
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote: Oh and in the early days their gigs usually lasted 20 minutes, maybe 30. :von:
Bet they didn't cost £20+ though ;)
lachert
Overbomber

the stuff. ;D where's the stuff? 8)
long live rock'n'roll
hellboy69

markreed wrote:
Why are some people so undemanding?
'Nuff said :D
Badlander
Overbomber

hellboy69 wrote:
Badlander wrote: Oh and in the early days their gigs usually lasted 20 minutes, maybe 30. :von:
I'm talking about The Stooges and all you care about is ticket prices !? :eek: :urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
hellboy69

Badlander wrote:
hellboy69 wrote:
I'm talking about The Stooges and all you care about is ticket prices !? :eek: :urff:
I'm not talking about The Stooges ~ you are!

I'm talking about The Sisters, in the context of the Astoria show alone.
daggs
Amphetamine Filth

9while9 wrote:
daggs wrote:Oh well, I'm sorry you didn't have a good night, glad I picked a decent perch I suppose. Are you going to any other UK gigs? Hope its better for you there if you are :)
Sounds like you blocked all the sound Daggs........ :lol:

If any of you whiners can speak with out feeling a strain in the vocal
cords then you weren't participating....so go to sleep you ungrateful... :innocent: Just my opinion.... :roll:
:lol: I was right at the back pretty much! you know those railings between the bars and the stalls? I knelt on one of them towards the end...I felt like a twit dancing like mad among a crowd that weren't really moving so i thought fcuk it I'll kneel up higher than everyone else, dance my little arse off, look like more of a twit but hopefully get some more people moving! I was the only one in my area pretty much clapping for the sisters to come on and between the encours! I wonder if von was looking at me during lucretia, he sort of leaned forward and was staring in mydirection at the side of the stage...and i was dancing like an idiot on acid :D

I do agree with people that there was less smoke than expected I could see alot...I could see the crowd...i expected pea soup :lol:
"f**k me and marry me young"
Black_Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

" I wonder if von was looking at me during lucretia, he sort of leaned forward and was staring in mydirection at the side of the stage...and i was dancing like an idiot on acid "

I doubt it - he plays to the "first two rows" according to him.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

And with his shades on rather than his normal glasses I bet he can't see right much either.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lachert
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:And with his shades on rather than his normal glasses I bet he can't see right much either.
that isn't a problem. there's a correction shades, as i know. or i'm wrong? :roll:
long live rock'n'roll
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh yeah. Silly me.

It would still be dark for him. :innocent: And there's the smoke machines.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: It would still be dark for him. :innocent: And there's the smoke machines.
Indeed. ;D :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
hellboy69

Badlander wrote:
markfiend wrote: It would still be dark for him. :innocent: And there's the smoke machines.
Indeed. ;D :von:
:lol: :notworthy:
Mickpit
Road Kill

1. Great to meet some HL'ers, particularly good larf with Paul (twisted Fire Hazard), Rich & mate, Begemot and Burn
2. I like smoke, there's always been and always will be too much smoke, GET USED TO IT.
3. Great atmosphere
4. Great Bass
5. Great Drums Dr
6. Backing vocals were the best I've heard at a Sisters gig
7. Good guitars too
.......yes, you know whats coming
8. Sh*t, crap bollox cant be bothered to sort out my pa, Vocals

Here's how Von sounded. I was standing in front of the desk for the first half then went forward (a bit) then to the side, then back to the desk.

Crash n Burn I could hear some him a bit
- We knew / know the set list, I have no issue with that (though we ALL want something we cant have)
more non-vocals
nothing
nothing
nothing
- All of a sudden i can here vocals being sung to Dominion/M R......great vocals, wait a minute, thats US, were doing a f*cking good job though, Von is not to be heard.
nothing
nothing
nothing + the worst effort of a 'song' i've ever witnessed (Slept i think), SO poor in fact, the only thing that could stop me booing would be the opening chords of Alice...............oooo guess what,?Alice AND Von is singing!!!! properly, at the right level, just like he did when i first saw him in 1984!!!!! ;D THIS IS A F**KING 1
I AM HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!
I know whats coming next, Ananconda, my favourite oldie!!! c'mon Andie do your thang.........ahhhhh bollox he's disappears on us again :cry:

Admittedly, Von asked for more volume midway through. I thought i'd have a word with guy on the mixing desk cus i was getting a bit perplexed, so i turned a pushed my way there only to find NO SOUND ENGINEER, only a guy there to keep us out - the f**king desk was SHUT!!!!!
No wonder they f**ked it all up and theres no-one out there to find the right levels when it goes t*ts-up!!!
All the time I was able to have conversations with people in the crowd (thats a first, quite a sociable gig)
Right I'm off to the bar for a chat. Wait a minute, they're leaving in their droves, Ive never seen so many people going early.

I think his voice is shot, so he can only do about 4 a night, I really think this. I expect a Barcelona (new term for a regig/fund) but I know we wont get one.
Will I go again, of course I will, why break the habit of a life time. But I will expect MUCH better.
I'm not young enough to know everything
hellboy69

CarpetKisser;-) wrote:NO SOUND ENGINEER, only a guy there to keep us out - the f**king desk was SHUT!!!!!
No wonder they f**ked it all up and theres no-one out there to find the right levels when it goes t*ts-up!!!
Jumpin' jeebus! That really explains a lot!
CarpetKisser;-) wrote:Will I go again, of course I will, why break the habit of a life time. But I will expect MUCH better.
Me too! See you there! Those expectations are best accompanied by a coupla beers i reckon... talking of which... Maybe i'll go for an open air show next time round ~ breeze, beer, and erm, more beer... there'll be so many variables, what's not to love about "Summer" at a festie? :D
DomConway
Filth

robertzombie wrote:Chris is f**king brilliant! He was rocking so hard at the beginning that he shades fell off! :lol:
Had forgotten about that, was v amusing!
CarpetKisser;-) wrote:1. Great to meet some HL'ers, particularly good larf with Paul (twisted Fire Hazard), Rich & mate, Begemot and Burn
Ah, I remember a twisted fire hazard blocking those steps by the bar, and getting some serious stick for it!
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Wolfenstein
Road Kill

Evening folks. Discovered this message board the other day while looking for a pub to go to before the Astoria. Whoever recommended that Ben Crouch tavern (or whatever is was fecking called) should award themselves a brownie point. nice place , would go again.

BUT

Anyway back to the plot -I've been a big fan of the Sisters since the late 80's, have always wanted to seee them live but never managed it before now (never seemed to be in the right place at the right time) When this gig was announced I jumped at the chance and managed to convince Good Laugh Terry to come with me so i wouldn't be completely Billy-no-mates (even though he was extremely dubious) Have been looking forward to it since about Feb when I got the tickets. However I can safely say that Tuesday at the astoria was the worst gig I have ever been to in my life. (and here I'm including dodgy 6th form goth wannabe bands form back in the days) Herr Eldritch's vocals were shockingly bad, he may as well have not bothered being there. Some of the songs were rendered almost unrecognisable. The only "Highlight" (if there was such a thing) was Dominion - which engaged the audience and generated a bit of atmosphere - the rest was cringeworthy. People around me were walking out and I can't say I blame them. After years of loyalty I am "rewarded" with this. I'm still gutted even 48 hours later - I so much wanted to like the gig. This is comparable with finding out that Father Christmas didn't exist - my youth has finally died (granted it took until my mid 30's) I feel like boxing up all of my Sisters Vinyl/Cassettes/CDS Etc and sending it back to the man himself, telling him I am finished with him and want a divorce. I spent the latter half of the gig apologising to Good Laugh Terry. He wasn't laughing. I will now retreat back to normality - the wife, the job, the mortgage and pretend it never happenned. Clearly the Sisters obsession has been a waste of my time - I finally discovered that the emperor was in fact wearing no clothes, and it took an abysmal live performance like this to point it out to me. I realise that by posting here, I'm preaching to the converted - but I just wanted to try and express my disappointment. Anyway I feel a bit better to get that off my chest even if no one bothers reading it.....Goodnight, and good luck
Tear it up and Watch it fall
Mickpit
Road Kill

Wolfenstein wrote:I'm still gutted even 48 hours later - I so much wanted to like the gig.
- I finally discovered that the emperor was in fact wearing no clothes, and it took an abysmal live performance like this to point it out to me.

I realise that by posting here, I'm preaching to the converted - but I just wanted to try and express my disappointment. Anyway I feel a bit better to get that off my chest even if no one bothers reading it.....Goodnight, and good luck
Good call, but as everything EXCEPT Von's vocal effort was top-notch (I realise this is a major exception) I believe there is hope of a revival.....by all accounts the Leeds gig was great WITH vocals!!!! With this in mind I would like to know if we are going to be offered a Barca' - Does anyone else feel we deserve this?
Mickpit
Road Kill

CarpetKisser;-) wrote:1. Great to meet some HL'ers, particularly good larf with Paul (twisted Fire Hazard), Rich & mate, Begemot and Burn
Ah, I remember a twisted fire hazard blocking those steps by the bar, and getting some serious stick for it![/quote]

Where there's smoke................
:lol: :lol: :lol:
czuczu
Overbomber

CarpetKisser;-) wrote:
Wolfenstein wrote:I'm still gutted even 48 hours later - I so much wanted to like the gig.
- I finally discovered that the emperor was in fact wearing no clothes, and it took an abysmal live performance like this to point it out to me.

I realise that by posting here, I'm preaching to the converted - but I just wanted to try and express my disappointment. Anyway I feel a bit better to get that off my chest even if no one bothers reading it.....Goodnight, and good luck
Good call, but as everything EXCEPT Von's vocal effort was top-notch (I realise this is a major exception) I believe there is hope of a revival.....by all accounts the Leeds gig was great WITH vocals!!!! With this in mind I would like to know if we are going to be offered a Barca' - Does anyone else feel we deserve this?
The sound was cack but the crowd was moving enough to get the floor bouncing for huge chunks of the gig so it wasn't all bad. It was definitely the worst sound I've heard this tour though.
allfear

The Bottom line is this, its not Eldritch's fault that the sound was bad but the person mixing the sound, I suspect that the Sisters are uning the in house engineer, and if that is the case then the Astoria's engineer either a) is incompitent or b) deliberaterly sabotaged the gig.

And even without a soundcheck the sound should have been sorted within a minute or two of the start, remember nearly ALL big festivals none of the bands have soundchecks its a linecheck and go.
TheBoyNextDoor

allfear wrote:The Bottom line is this, its not Eldritch's fault that the sound was bad but the person mixing the sound, I suspect that the Sisters are uning the in house engineer, and if that is the case then the Astoria's engineer either a) is incompitent or b) deliberaterly sabotaged the gig.
I think they havce their own sound engineer. And he is very incompetent, as it seems...
allfear

As well most sound engineers with bands tend to burn out faster than the bands themselves, especally with regards to going deaf!
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao