Boring Tour > yawn yawn yawn

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:so, Front 242 haven't cancelled their tour, yet?
They daren't :evil:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I am capable of striking mortal terror into the heart of man, it's true.

And, somewhat predictably perhaps, crows and their allies are pretty much my favourite animals... :notworthy:

G.A.F! :von: :oops:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Badlander
Overbomber

In the spirit of this thread, has :von: ever said why 9 while 9 has only been played live twice over a twenty years span ? Has he ever expressed any dislike for the song ? Or is it that he doesn't think it fits the show ?

I get the feeling it's a favourite of many (well, of some) and it's a shame it doesn't get played more often.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

If i'm not mistaken he said once that it's difficult to sing, so maybe he wasn't happy with the two times it was performed live in -85?
Though i like those performances, i think it loses a great deal of its sensitivity in live and sounds too rough (not just singing but also the live guitar sound doesn't do it justice) and the album version is better (which is rare, usually i prefer live versions).
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

With six gigs down and a further forty-seven to go I'm going to reserve
judgement on the boring tour issue until a) the end and b) I've actually
seen them a couple of times.
There's nothing worse, IMO, than a premature obituary.

Give the man a chance to let you down (again) before putting the boot
in. :lol:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
robertzombie
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:In the spirit of this thread, has :von: ever said why 9 while 9 has only been played live twice over a twenty years span ? Has he ever expressed any dislike for the song ? Or is it that he doesn't think it fits the show ?

I get the feeling it's a favourite of many (well, of some) and it's a shame it doesn't get played more often.
From the http://www.vamp.org/zines/egozine-1.html review of the Newcastle 1985 show...

"The real gem here though is one of the rare live versions of Nine While Nine. It was dropped very early in the tour because Andrew found it too personal and difficult to perform."

According to Hallucienate's Trading Page:
Nine While Nine performances:
1985-03-13 Tiffany's Newcastle England
1985-03-16 University Leeds England
1985-03-16 Leeds University Leeds England
Badlander
Overbomber

Thanks, that's really informative. It's true that 9n9 is one of the few really romantic songs :von: has ever given birth to. When you don't see me could be considered another, even though I remember the meaning of the song has been discussed on this forum and some people thought it was more about an artist / audience relationship. I'm not entirely convinced.

I think it is precisely the romantic (you may call it otherwise but I guess you get the idea) aspect of the song that gives 9n9 a special flavour.
aims
Overbomber

If I remember rightly, Driven Like The Snow (Nine While Nine, Part 2) was never performed due to it being too personal, so it would figure that NWN got the same treatment.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Motz wrote:If I remember rightly, Driven Like The Snow (Nine While Nine, Part 2) was never performed due to it being too personal, so it would figure that NWN got the same treatment.
Part 2?
James Blast
Banned

robertzombie wrote:
Motz wrote:If I remember rightly, Driven Like The Snow (Nine While Nine, Part 2) was never performed due to it being too personal, so it would figure that NWN got the same treatment.
Part 2?
yup
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

mm.

I can see why DLTS could be seen as a "sequel" to 9W9 lyrically ("lipstick on my cigarette"), do they have the same meaning?
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

"Claire" songs, Robert. Newcastle Tiffany's 85 is the outstanding version for NWN. DLTS has never been performed live. :von:
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:mm.

I can see why DLTS could be seen as a "sequel" to 9W9 lyrically ("lipstick on my cigarette"), do they have the same meaning?
Yes. Andrew did an interview just before the release of Vision Thing for Melody Maker...if memory serves...where he said as much.

From an interview with Gary Marx, I seem to remember Gary saying Andrew was going through a major break up at the time of writing/recording FALAA. 9W9 is, presumably, Andrew's initial reaction to that, whereas with DLTS he's finally come to terms with it. I can understand why he wouldn't want to "go back there", so to speak.

Anyhoo..just better introduce myself after lurking for so long. Hello. I'll be at Leeds and Manchester. Last time I saw The Sisters was in Bristol on the Smoke and Mirrors tour...this time I will not be catching anything Andrew throws into the audience...I got half a bottle of ribena countermeasures in my eyes. Should've known better! :)
aims
Overbomber

Welcome, Syberberg :D
James Blast
Banned

Hello! Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

From a rookie to another : you're very much welcome.
And thanks for the info.

I'm still wondering though, after all this time, is Von still reluctant to "go back there" and give 9n9 a chance ?
Last edited by Badlander on 26 Feb 2006, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Wilkommen indeed :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
aims
Overbomber

I doubt that Von would want to open up old wounds by playing it. Maybe we could have a mash-up instead? NWN with the lyrics to Dont You Want Me? :lol:
James Blast
Banned

I hope not
~ Peter Steele
aims
Overbomber

Can we just have a straight cover of it instead then? You know it would work ;)
DoKtor Spiggy
Road Kill

Whatever justification you wish to maintain.
Whatever spin you wish to put on things.
whatever credentials in life you have or aspire to.
It matters not.
The truth is there...........
And the trurth says................
And I worship AE & our band
But..........................this tour & all the honest reviews of what's happening .........is DROP DEAD f**king BORING.................PREDICTABLY BORING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
dw1200
Road Kill

Okay... now you just want to incite people. A couple of suggestions... see a gig first, then slam it if you want. Setlists and people's opinions are deceiving.

I was at the Vegas show and IMO it was great. Great enough to book some tickets for Los Angeles and maybe even San Francisco... (The Warfield is where I saw them on the Vision Thing tour. What a great theatre.)

Anyway... everyone has their pet song that they would love Von to dedicate to them etc etc... Sure I would like Von to call me and let me decide the setlist.... (hey now there's an idea!!!)
aims
Overbomber

DoKtor Spiggy wrote:Whatever justification you wish to maintain.
Whatever spin you wish to put on things.
whatever credentials in life you have or aspire to.
It matters not.
The truth is there...........
And the trurth says................
And I worship AE & our band
But..........................this tour & all the honest reviews of what's happening .........is DROP DEAD f**king BORING.................PREDICTABLY BORING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
By which you mean "the reviews that support my argument".

Grow up :kiss:
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Jesus people, just go and enjoy the shows and stop bitching about the fact that they didn't play everything you wanted. Since when did the Sisters pander to the masses?

If you think it looks boring, don't go and ruin everyone elses evening with your attitude. Give them a chance, if you're doing 50 odd shows you'll more than likely have a fixed set of songs and coupled with some new guitarists they can't be expected to learn everything.

Here's hoping they don't play Driven Like The Snow, 1959 or Nine While Nine (their best songs by far), mainly because they crowd would ruin it with all their catcalls and whistling, much like I Was Wrong.

Saying that, they would do well to stick This Corrosion in by the time I see 'em! :lol:

On the subject of clothes, get a life people. I really don't care if Eldritch is wearing a t-shirt he wore 2 years ago. I ain't going to see them for fashion tips. If i did i'd have a white leather jacket and a bright orange/red firemans jacket. :lol:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Agreed! (Well except that i don't mind the fashion tips... :P )
we've got beer and we've got fuel