Pope Benedict XVI sticks his foot in his mouth

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm sure everyone's seen the furore caused by the Pope's comments about Islam. What I was wondering is whether anyone noticed that earlier that same day...
The Pope wrote:It is important to state clearly the God in whom we believe. Only this can free us from being afraid of God — which is ultimately at the root of modern atheism. Only this God saves us from being afraid of the world and from anxiety before the emptiness of life.
( Clicky )

So Joseph Ratzinger, commonly held to be one of the finest theologians of modern times, thinks that atheism is rooted in a fear of God?

Wow. Thanks, Pope, thanks for telling me that I'm afraid of a God that I don't believe exists. Perhaps he thinks that the reason I don't believe in unicorns is that I'm frightened of them too? :roll:

It's a good job that no atheist has reacted to this deeply offensive comment by running out and shooting a nun in the back eh? :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

we don't need no water :innocent: let the motherf*cker burn :von:
MUSICA È
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:It's a good job that no atheist has reacted to this deeply offensive comment by running out and shooting a nun in the back eh? :|
Especially since Catholic nuns are held in such high esteem on the African continent.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

What the Pope quoted that caused offence was this:
Manuel II Paleologus wrote:Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread the sword by the faith he preached
and while he may have a point, it is a case of "Oh kettle thou art black," quoth the pot
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

markfiend wrote:What the Pope quoted that caused offence was this:
Manuel II Paleologus wrote:Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread the sword by the faith he preached
and while he may have a point, it is a case of "Oh kettle thou art black," quoth the pot
Your just upset because we all know you are God Fearing. :P :lol:

And Remember, "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!" Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH a religion thread
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

emilystrange wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH a religion thread
Sorry ;D
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

no you're not. ;-)

i HATE being catholic
Dark
Underneath the Rock

So don't be. I'm sure they've invented a cure for it.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i haven't practised at it for many many years.
doesn't stop you..
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Yes, I’m petrified of a fictional character. :lol:

His statement ‘anxiety before the emptiness of life’ says more about Catholics than atheists - I’m quite comfortable in a world void of ‘objective’ meaning and get a good chuckle out of it; the pope, evidently, would not be so.
James Blast
Banned

<------incurable ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:<------incurable ;D
Oh, I dunno about that. :twisted: :P
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

:lol: :lol: :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:Image
It's the Siouxsie version of the Lord's Prayer you want.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

there's nothing left but faith...
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:there's nothing left but faith...
Very nihilistic for someone who believes in The Big Man...

(I don't mean Simon)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

In no way am I siding with the pope here, being a hard-line athiest. (Cure for catholosim by the way, athiesim in one large dose per lifetime)

But...
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
On Friday, hardline cleric Sheikh Abubakar Hassan Malin told worshippers at his mosque to hunt down and kill whoever offended the Prophet Mohammed.
Great you bloody stupid cleric. That'll really help the overall muslim comumity. "Oi! We don't preach with the sword you bastards! You dis Islam like that again and we'll kill you f**king dead"

Real clever mate.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
canon docre
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
On Friday, hardline cleric Sheikh Abubakar Hassan Malin told worshippers at his mosque to hunt down and kill whoever offended the Prophet Mohammed.
:lol: Looks like Pappa Ratzi was quite acurate here.

@Maisey. don't mix cause and effect.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
9while9
Slight Overbomber

Maisey wrote:In no way am I siding with the pope here, being a hard-line athiest. (Cure for catholosim by the way, athiesim in one large dose per lifetime)

But...
Great you bloody stupid cleric. That'll really help the overall muslim comumity. "Oi! We don't preach with the sword you bastards! You dis Islam like that again and we'll kill you f**king dead"

Real clever mate.
Very good point Maisey.
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

James Blast
Banned

... and I thought "cause and effect" went hand in hand?
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:... and I thought "cause and effect" went hand in hand?
"...well the Devil may care, but I don't mind" :wink:

:oops: Sorry!
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
9while9
Slight Overbomber

Big Si wrote:
James Blast wrote:... and I thought "cause and effect" went hand in hand?
"...well the Devil may care, but I don't mind" :wink:

Thought she'd never quite understand so I
Left her there that night but will she
Find me? :P

Ever so sorry.... :oops:

:oops: Sorry!

James Blast
Banned

how can I put this... Next! :twisted:
~ Peter Steele