Interpol & The Sisters Of Mercy

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

From the latest issue of Kerrang.. Bands that Mettalica will be checking out at Reading.. and why..

Interpol
"Their a great New York band who sound like the Sisters Of Mercy and, erm, somethign else, something really dark. People tell me they sound like the Smiths but i was never a Smiths fan because i didnt like the vocals. But interpol are great."

Im sure Eldritch will be thrilled.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

arf!

they usually get compared to the chameleons (for the guitars) and joy division (no idea why)

still dreary sh*te whatever you wanna compare them with :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:still dreary sh*te whatever you wanna compare them with :roll:
I pretty much agree with you there.
whitesatin
Road Kill

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:still dreary sh*te whatever you wanna compare them with :roll:
I pretty much agree with you there.
Yep....
and i don't think Von will be thrilled..... :?:
Huiio saared igh kaan boost?
pikkrong
Overbomber

Gary wrote:
Interpol
"Their a great New York band who sound like the Sisters Of Mercy and, erm, somethign else, something really dark. People tell me they sound like the Smiths but i was never a Smiths fan because i didnt like the vocals. But interpol are great."
who said that?
Hetfield?
a journalist?
Gary

pikkrong wrote:
Gary wrote:
Interpol
who said that?
Hetfield?
a journalist?
its a quote, from 'the band' but they dont say who.
whitesatin wrote: Yep....
and i don't think Von will be thrilled.....
I was joking..
dead stars

whitesatin wrote:
Yep....
and i don't think Von will be thrilled..... :?:
Well, he should. Notice it says: "sound like the Sisters Of Mercy and," - notice AND - "erm, somethign else, something really dark".

The sentence states the Sisters are something else other than "dark"
(Personaly, I disagree. The Sisters ARE dark. Dark in the sense of "anaconda", "neverland", "romeo down".)

I can't pronounce about the band Interpol. First time I hear about them.
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:they usually get compared to the chameleons (for the guitars) and joy division (no idea why)

Tsk! :roll:

Pot-meets-kettle-and-shockingly-declares-'black'-in-face-of-evidence-to-contrary scenario, surely????? :innocent:

There are DEFFO JD and Smiths influences sound-wise in there IMHO...Plus, perhaps, 'various' other guitar based spindly-sounding early 80s guitar acts who shall remain nameless...

Or am I just hearing something different?? :urff:

PS: They've also got a sense of humour in there somewhere...much like all the best bands of a darker hue which we all like, I'm sure.

PPS:Ooooh, just how defensive *can* I sound? However, Interpol are actually rather good, honest! ;D
Amused to death...
Big Si
School Bully

Seen the vid a few times on MTV2 - I'm impressed :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
ryan

havent taken 'turn on the bright lights' out of my cd player since i bought the album 2 months ago

nuff said
hallucienate
Overbomber

ryan_w_0000 wrote:havent taken 'turn on the bright lights' out of my cd player since i bought the album 2 months ago

nuff said
to disgusted to go near the CD player? It's not thaaaaat bad, I just don't think it's as good as it's hyped up to be. :?
unbeliever
Road Kill

interpol are one of the few remaining bright lights (sorry) that tradgoth has - short of the mist of avalon, london after midnight and zeromancer, fans of joy division and the more to the point sisters stuff should be proud that someone is taking an influence and keeping the flag flying.

obstacle 1 (track 2 from turn on the bright lights) has been a favorite of mine since i heard it. if you think this is dreary, and you can listen to DR. JEEP without thinking "god this is boring" then there is quite obviously something wrong with your ears or the small bones inside them.

this may not be the most welcomed first post i could make but i am a BIG interpol fan, and also quite a big sisters fan. i think people should be proud that tradgoth (or to keep A.E. happy - experimental indie) is being kept alive.

<stands down from soap-box before it crumbles beneath his feet>
i find it kinda funny
i find it kinda sad
the dreams in which im dying
are the best ive ever had
Big Si
School Bully

Hi and Welcome to Heartland! :D

Nice pics! :wink: :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:arf!

they usually get compared to the chameleons (for the guitars) and joy division (no idea why)

I disagree with you there, Quiffster. They sound just like JD imo and you can certainly hear The Chams on the first three tracks of "Turn on the bright lights".

Never heard a Sisters resemblance before but now you mention it. Probably more Reptile House era mind

Seen em twice and the second time at Glasters was incredible. Half way through NYC a mini cyclone came ripping through the audience throwin up all the paper cups and plates about 100' in the air. i had to take another look at my bottle as i could have sworn i didn't do any acid that day :)
Guided by the light and by the catholic monochrome
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Going to see them live tonght in the Limelight, Belfast. Will report back.

8)
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Never thought of The Sisters as shoe-gazing. Still, there's nothing especially surprising about lazy music journos and ignorant rock stars. Or ignorant music journos and lazy rock stars for that matter.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Debaser
Overbomber

Karst wrote:Going to see them live tonght in the Limelight, Belfast. Will report back.

8)
OOOOh look out for my mates Cath and Bloke. Cath has been known to post on here - basically to frihghten the living bejesus out of me...

Cath has bright red hair , silver boots and bounces an awful lot. Bloke is tall, thin, long hair and glasses and has a tip top line in teeshirts!

Just walk up and say Debaser says Hello...let me freak her out for a change!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Sorry 'Debaser' only saw that this morning. Venue was packed - pretty much sold out. Didn't think Interpol got the crowd going as much. Guitarist was a bit sloppy in places and dearie me, they are awfully young! :)
Bass player Carlos is a character though - Hookie better watch out. Other then that, they pretty much played everything on the record and some cover version I think, although I can't remember what.

Go seem them if you have a chance. They're very different from what is around IMHO.
Debaser
Overbomber

Devil's advocate here....

Have seen em....shan't go again......do nothing for me. It's that daft 'Flock of seagulls' hairdo that pushes me over the edge ;)

Love and kisses
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Just downloaded some of their tracks, listened to them and deleted them just as quickly.... 'nuff said.

(where's the vomitting smiley when you need one?)
Hell is other people
ryan

and THATS the f**king stupidest post ive ever seen...for all the right reasons :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ryan_w_0000 wrote:and THATS the f**king stupidest post ive ever seen...for all the right reasons :roll:
just so BD doesnt worry, i better explain that it wasnt her post ryan is referring to ;D sinsister had to delete another one... and i havent seen it, but have heard about it and yes, it was stupid. very stupid. and it won't happen again.

:roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

damn these admins and their 24 hour eagle-like watch. now I'll never know.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hallucienate wrote:damn these admins and their 24 hour eagle-like watch. now I'll never know.
Yeah... Give us a clue?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ryan

Quiff Boy wrote:
ryan_w_0000 wrote:and THATS the **** stupidest post ive ever seen...for all the right reasons :roll:
just so BD doesnt worry, i better explain that it wasnt her post ryan is referring to ;D sinsister had to delete another one... and i havent seen it, but have heard about it and yes, it was stupid. very stupid. and it won't happen again.

:roll:
ha, ok.. all's good then :) 8)