Ever been a Goth?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Ever been a goth?

Yes, a big black scuttling gothmeister
28%
Well, a bit, but not as much as Quiffboy
42%
Eh?
9%
No, never, wouldn't either
20%

Total votes: 74
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I've only done the makeup thing when going to see the Rocky Horror Show, or when no-one else is around. Or involuntarily, when pissed and descended on by mad banshees.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Moz Magister
Road Kill

I drank blood and slept in a graveyard listening to Fist Last & Always on permanent loop (in fact I still do) - is that option 2?
:wink:
Have Fun!

"As one door closes, another slams in your face"
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:
Angelchild wrote:Roger Whittaker UGH.
Tis unfortunate I live here(well I actually live in a little village just outside of D.......)but we all have our crosses to bear.
)
Heh, I once lived in a little village just outside Durham, too. Ushaw Moor. If you know the area, you'll know that was a cross to bear, too. Think 'pit village after pit closure'. My excuse was I was a student and it was VERY cheap. The landlord was almost paying us to live there, and some months forgot to cash our rent cheques at all. The house (over said pit?) had such bad subsidence that it was hard to use a frying-pan. But I tell you what, we were lucky then! It also meant I had money to spend on dodgy gothesque jewellery in Durham indoor market. Nice.
Wow,what a small world it is :) I live just down the road in Brandon.I know what you mean about Ushaw Moor.Grubby pubs full of old codgers as so eloquently described in Gripper's posting about Tony Blair.
And indeed we have subsidence here too!
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

No,never.Being a goth has to be a lifestyle first,not just fashion.And it means you have to be depressed,unusually bigoted,violent,suicidal,bestial,grotesque,ill-educated,involved in illegal drugs,believe yourself to be a vampire,sado-masochist,satanist,wearer of black,dyer of your hair,user of white make-up...etc all the time to be the real one.
And I've never been any of these except wearing mostly black all the time which doesn't make me the real one at all.I'm dark.Between dark and goth there is a difference.
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
Big Si
School Bully

Nancy_78 wrote:No,never.Being a goth has to be a lifestyle first,not just fashion.And it means you have to be depressed,unusually bigoted,violent,suicidal,bestial,grotesque,ill-educated,involved in illegal drugs,believe yourself to be a vampire,sado-masochist,satanist,wearer of black,dyer of your hair,user of white make-up...etc all the time to be the real one.
And I've never been any of these except wearing mostly black all the time which doesn't make me the real one at all.I'm dark.Between dark and goth there is a difference.
Michael Jackson? :eek: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

Big Si wrote:
Nancy_78 wrote:No,never.Being a goth has to be a lifestyle first,not just fashion.And it means you have to be depressed,unusually bigoted,violent,suicidal,bestial,grotesque,ill-educated,involved in illegal drugs,believe yourself to be a vampire,sado-masochist,satanist,wearer of black,dyer of your hair,user of white make-up...etc all the time to be the real one.
Michael Jackson? :eek: ;D
Ditto! ;D :eek:
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The only of these that fit me (and have ever fitted me) are "involved in illegal drugs" (sorry), "wearer of black" and "dyer of your hair". But I still voted for option no. 1. Go figure.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
The only of these that fit me (and have ever fitted me) are "involved in illegal drugs" (sorry), "wearer of black" and "dyer of your hair". But I still voted for option no. 1. Go figure.
Fair enough.That's your own opinion.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe your characterisation fits the kids who call themselves goths now (I'm talking about fans of metal bands who wear a lot of black (the bands, not necessarily the kids)) but I would never have called any of the people I hung round with ill-educated, bigoted or violent.

In fact, the average denizen late-80s/early-90s "goth scene" was IMO more well-educated and far less bigoted and violent than the average man-on-the-street. A large proportion of my friends back then were vegetarian, for example. I'll admit a few people did have an unhealthy attraction to vampire fiction but no-one I knew ever believed that they were vampires. (There is a certain irony in the juxtaposition of vegetarianism and vampires, no?)

Like you say, my own opinion. Maybe goths are different species in Croatia than they are (were) here?

Oh and I apologise for my use of the word "denizen". :oops:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i have to agree with markfiend.

that description sounds more like the mansonite spooky skater kids that hang around the "korn exhange" (pun intended) wearing manson tees, baggy trousers, chains around their waists, and new rock boots...

most of my "goth" friends from around that time seemed to be middle-class/upper-middle-class, well educated, and far more open minded and less bigoted than that description. the miserable/suicide thing only ever applied to a handful of rather unbalanced women. silly whenches... :roll:

most people i knew were a lot of fun and didnt take themselves too serious at all - the whole goth scene was just an excuse to wear black, have massive hair, and get pissed with your mates listening to cool music :) :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:the miserable/suicide thing only ever applied to a handful of rather unbalanced women.
On an entirely different subject to the quote above, did you ever meet a woman called Michelle?
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

Quiff Boy wrote:i have to agree with markfiend.

that description sounds more like the mansonite spooky skater kids that hang around the "korn exhange" (pun intended) wearing manson tees, baggy trousers, chains around their waists, and new rock boots...

most of my "goth" friends from around that time seemed to be middle-class/upper-middle-class, well educated, and far more open minded and less bigoted than that description. the miserable/suicide thing only ever applied to a handful of rather unbalanced women. silly whenches... :roll:

most people i knew were a lot of fun and didnt take themselves too serious at all - the whole goth scene was just an excuse to wear black, have massive hair, and get pissed with your mates listening to cool music :) :notworthy:
And very, very elitist! :evil:

(Well they were around 1990 in Middlesbrough :x :evil: , thank feck ahm noo a Weegie! :notworthy: 8) :twisted: )
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:the miserable/suicide thing only ever applied to a handful of rather unbalanced women.
On an entirely different subject to the quote above, did you ever meet a woman called Michelle?
dunno. what did she look like? apart from having long black back-combed hair, black eyeliner and a pvc frock? ;) :D :D

i used to go to out in manchester at the time - did she go to the banshee?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big Si wrote:And very, very elitist! :evil:

(Well they were around 1990 in Middlesbrough :x :evil: , thank feck ahm noo a Weegie! :notworthy: 8) :twisted: )
yeah, they could get a bit cliquey... also, a predominant goth trait is bitchyness. especially in the men ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:i used to go to out in manchester at the time - did she go to the banshee?
Ah the Banshee! I've been there myself once or twice, but no, I'm talking Leeds. Never mind.

BTW you know there's a f*cking Travel Inn where the Banshee used to be now.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i used to go to out in manchester at the time - did she go to the banshee?
Ah the Banshee! I've been there myself once or twice, but no, I'm talking Leeds. Never mind.

BTW you know there's a f*cking Travel Inn where the Banshee used to be now.
i know. the unstoppable march of progress, eh? :roll:

when i first started going to the banshee circa 90/91 there was a lass there who was a "fat pat" clone, and she was seeing some this corrosion-era eldritch clone (who might have bene called mark?!? maybe?). anyways, banshee legend has it that he dumped her one night, so later that night when they played some kind of stranger she slit her wrists... ...as you do :roll:

bloody goths ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:eek: Never heard that one before. Although the descriptions of the protagonists sound eerily familiar :oops: I didn't dump her in there, and she didn't slit her wrists (AFAIK). Maybe it was another couple. There were a lot of Pat-n-Andy couples around at that time!

Like you say, Bloody goths! :oops:

*Edit to add: I don't remember them ever playing Some Kind Of Stranger in the Banshee. It was hard enough to get the DJ to play the Sisters at all IIRC.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm conviced you do mean me and my then-girlfriend :oops: :oops: :oops:
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

good lord! :o

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

banshee legend always was capable of embelleshing the truth a little ;)

shame, as it was quite an amusing story :lol:

hmmm, the more i think about it, the more i'm sure i recall someone telling me the "mark" in question was from leeds... was this particular "she" from leeds or manc?

ever know a chap from saddleworth/oldham called craig? ginger hair? mates called him cabbage?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

She was a Manc. Droylsden IIRC.

Only went to school with Cabbage dint I? I'm from that neck of the woods originally, and came to Leeds to Uni. (and never left). This is scaring me now :D
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:She was a Manc. Droylsden IIRC.

Only went to school with Cabbage dint I? I'm from that neck of the woods originally, and came to Leeds to Uni. (and never left). This is scaring me now :D
no way!! :o

you know those guys that went to cardiff uni too? john etc? we must have met :o i'm from oldham ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:you know those guys that went to cardiff uni too? john etc?
No, I don't think so. The name's not familiar. But I think we must have met at some point.

My memory of times at The Banshee is a little hazy at best. Blame the phet. ;)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:you know those guys that went to cardiff uni too? john etc?
No, I don't think so. The names aren't familiar. But I think we must have met at some point.

My memory of times at The Banshee is a little hazy at best. Blame the phet. ;)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

good lord. small world, eh? my flabber is well and truly gasted... :urff:
robertzombie
Overbomber

oo talk about a *bump*

In short... no. I'm not a goth. Despite the predominantly black wardrobe (even down to the last sock :P)

Unfortunately there are no proper "goths" in my school at the moment so it appears that I am the resident goth.
It's all good though, loads of closet goth-teachers talk to me about Sisters, etc. and my PE teacher does a stonking rendition of TOL :D

And thanks to The Mumbles lots of people say hello to me now (this will no doubt stop after they hear the EP :twisted:) I'm sure they all go down to Camden and say to themselves "now... what would Robert pick" :P :twisted: :innocent:

I don't mind being called a goth... but I hate it when people call me a "gunger" yyyyyyyyuck
Dark
Underneath the Rock

My god, this thread has been necromanc'd :lol:

I'm a goth. Yeah.
I've got that whole "I look constantly sickly" thang goin' on. ;)

Ultraviolence.
rian
Slight Overbomber

Wow, this old thread.

I'm suprised that I didn't replied 3 years ago, but I never was a goth. I was a synthpopper.

But dressed in black all the time, if that counts...
I think someone set my soul alight