Floorshow. Help.

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I have no idea what any of it means. :innocent: I need help. Any thoughts on any lyrics or anything please post!!! Literally anything! I've never understood it & its one of my faves.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Badlander
Overbomber

Think dancefloor... It's about the clubs Von used to go to when he was studying politics and Chinese at University of Leeds. Which clubs in particular I'm not sure (The Phono ?), but I guess the subject has already been discussed.

BTW what was the Lizard club ? Was it the name of a club, or just an organisation ? They were active in the mid to late-90s, when I was studying politics.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC the Lizard club was basically just a DJ.

I may be thinking of the wrong guy, ...

Edit: Removed. I think I was thinking of the wrong guy.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Doctor E
Road Kill

Purple Light wrote:I have no idea what any of it means. :innocent: I need help. Any thoughts on any lyrics or anything please post!!! Literally anything! I've never understood it & its one of my faves.
Like Badlander says, think dancefloor. Now the definition of "floorshow" is "a series of acts presented in a nightclub," of course, but it seems that the showoffy dancers have become the show.

The song is about a fastidious, cynical, and world weary person watching hedonists having fun on a dancefloor. The intellectual speaker sees the mindless dancing as an example of the inane routines of modern life. The dancers are "mundane by day" and "inane [in the nightclub] by night." Dancing is the new religion ("The old religion redefined) "for the facile futile totally blind."

The dancers are dancing "in the violet hour to the violent sound." This, yes, once again, folks, is a reference to T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land:

At the violet hour, when the eyes and back
Turn upward from the desk, when the human engine waits
Like a taxi throbbing waiting . . . [the tired speaker of The Waste Land, Tiresias, goes on the describe a meaningless sexual encounter between a typist and a young man with bad skin]

Another top night out with Andy!
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

as a long-time organiser/instigator of illegal raves/free parties i remember one night being struck by "floorshow"'s relevance to that whole experience; as if eldritch had prophecised that phenomena five years even before he invented techno! :innocent: :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Badlander
Overbomber

I even think it may just as well apply to any, every day (or night), middle of the road nightclub. Describing the clubbing experience in terms of pagan initiation makes it even more deliciously ironic.

BTW, "invented techno" ? :innocent:
Kraftwerk ? Suicide ?
eastmidswhizzkid

no prizes for leaping on that rather stale bait and bringing up kraftwerk, the pioneers of modern electronic music. though obviously massively influential the music that fore-ran techno as we know it that they made was really electro and experimental variations thereof. suicide were a rock band that happened to use synths and drum machines but so were hawkwind (to a degree), as were the sisters (to a degree).

but "Jihad" predates the modern formula of techno by a good couple of years.

...and my tongue is at least half in my cheek. :wink:

Badlander
Overbomber

You dodged the - easy - question rather skilfully, I admit. :notworthy: :wink:
eastmidswhizzkid

;D :wink:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

By the way, I've remembered: The Lizard Club was Claire's night.
Eldritch wrote:...I was living above the chemist (as the Mekons put it) with Claire and Spiggy The Cat...
Yes, that Claire.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

Thanks Mark.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

if it was claire's night then it was probably at the warehouse rather than le phonographique.

i can ask choque to verify if you want - he used to dj at the warehouse too :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

She did The Lizard Club on Fridays at the Phono around 90-92 (and possibly later) but she may have used the same name for nights at other places.

She used to DJ the Wednesday night at the Phono too, but I haven't the foggiest what the night was called (or even if it was called anything!)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ahhh :)
Badlander
Overbomber

Anyway what was the name of that club under a mall ? (Merrion center if I remember correctly, the first one coming from the campus)
That's were I heard the name Lizard Club, back in 98.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Badlander wrote:Anyway what was the name of that club under a mall ? (Merrion center if I remember correctly, the first one coming from the campus)
yep, that was the phono (known as "le phonographique" back then)
Badlander
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Badlander wrote:Anyway what was the name of that club under a mall ? (Merrion center if I remember correctly, the first one coming from the campus)
:notworthy:
Then said to be Leeds' last remaining rock club. You be the judge.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Now no longer remaining. Clicky
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Now no longer remaining. Clicky
:x :cry:
distanceovertime
Road Kill

For me its about a frontline in a war and about ambient in a nightclub the point of joint between the two visions is the abuse of amphetamines.
But remember, Von dont belief in freedom of interpretation.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Badlander wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
:notworthy:
Then said to be Leeds' last remaining rock club. You be the judge.
On my first visit to the People's Republic, Motz and I got a little lost in all the similar-looking shopping centres, and I ended up standing next to a door to try and get some idea as to where we were. The door turned out to be The Phono, confirmed by the license thing above allowing someone with the first name initial "P" to sell alcohol. Herr Phono Paul.
eotunun
Overbomber

There is shadow under this red rock
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The naked bodies line always made me assume it was about strippers. There aren't many nightclubs where they'll let the punters dance naked. Well, not in this country.
Badlander wrote:I even think it may just as well apply to any, every day (or night), middle of the road nightclub. Describing the clubbing experience in terms of pagan initiation makes it even more deliciously ironic.

BTW, "invented techno" ? :innocent:
Kraftwerk ? Suicide ?
A lot of techno artists cite John Foxx (who was himself influenced by Kraftwerk) as their spiritual godfather, particularly the Metamatic album. Not that it sounds much like techno to me, but that's what they say.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC "word from god" is that Floorshow was inspired by The Phono.
—Bertrand Russell