Beyond the age of reason.

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Quick question.

Is the line beyond the age of reason in the song Valentine a reference to Thomas Paine’s book The age of reason?
Silver_Owl
The Don

nick the stripper wrote:Quick question.

Is the line beyond the age of reason in the song Valentine a reference to Thomas Paine’s book The age of reason?
A people come to this
Beyond the age of reason
A people fed on famine
A people on their knees and
People eat each other
A people stand in line
Waiting for another war and
Waiting for my valentine
A reference to America :?:
Thomas Paine was a brilliant man who played a vital role in the American Revolution of 1776. This was the last book he wrote, which centers almost entirely around Christianity. To Paine, it made sense to question everything in order to make valid answers possible. He puts forth many questions in this book regarding Christianity, confronting many beliefs with pure and rational reason.
And also (unrelated but possibly another reference in This Corrosion....)
In the opening year, 1793, when revolutionary France had beheaded its king, the wrath turned next upon the King of kings, by whose grace every tyrant claimed to reign. But eventualities had brought among them a great English and American heart--Thomas Paine. He had pleaded for Louis Caper--"Kill the king but spare the man." Now he pleaded,--"Disbelieve in the King of kings, but do not confuse with that idol the Father of Mankind!"
And yes - I've got time on my hands. :roll:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

nick the stripper wrote:Quick question.

Age of Reason also often means the 17th century, and, in 17th century social thought, it is the age at which parents are no loner obligated to be responsible to their children. The first French revolution was widely hailed (by PAine, among others) as being the coming of the age of reason to France. Remeber how well that turned out? Might make a bit more sense now...
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
mh
Above the Chemist

I've always read that line as meaning "you're old enough, you should know better".

But it's a fantastic song.

Great lyrics.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.