Speculation...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Got an SMS from my ex whilst in Leeds..

Turns out she was hobnobbing with Ben in London - well she bumped into him in the Devvy on the Saturday..

Word is, he's off to Istanbul for a bit and then he's going to see about getting new music recorded if Andrew agrees to it..

Chances of that.. but still it's a sliver of hope..
Last edited by Doktor Gott on 19 Jul 2006, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
aims
Overbomber

Omigod!!!!!!!!!! ^___________^

Ahem. :von:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Doktor Gott wrote:if Andrew agrees to it.
*ahem* :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

I don't doubt that Andrew will agree to recording it. It's whether or not he'll agree to releasing it :?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Motz wrote:I don't doubt that Andrew will agree to recording it. It's whether or not he'll agree to releasing it :?
:lol: Very true.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

Summer b/w Still

Please, Andrew? :(
christophe
Overbomber

I don't understand why he would make a statement like that while Andrew still would have to make the decission.
its not like Ben has something to say about it.... ?
Another Shade of You.
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

christophe wrote:I don't understand why he would make a statement like that while Andrew still would have to make the decission.
its not like Ben has something to say about it.... ?
Its more idle chatter, perhaps its what he would like to do, rather than what there is any chance of happening.. but at least he would want to..
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
christophe
Overbomber

Doktor Gott wrote:Its more idle chatter, perhaps its what he would like to do, rather than what there is any chance of happening.. but at least he would want to..
at least its a bit more hopefull from whatever we got from Adam Pearson :P
Another Shade of You.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Summer and quite a few other tracks were written by Pearson. If the stories are true about him blocking a release I'd say it will be unlikely. And to be honest, the only people I see interested in this are SPV.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Well, the rumour always was Pearson was blocking stuff indeed, but wouldn't know how keen Von'd actually be to release anything at all :|

Just crossing fingers, as always, isn't it :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
christophe
Overbomber

maybe Pearson advised him not to releas anything anymore but the way i see it, its all up to Andrew.
has Pearson any legual hold on these songs? if he has indeed written them.
Another Shade of You.
aims
Overbomber

If they pay him royalties, he can't stop them from releasing them as "covers".
mh
Above the Chemist

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(gasp)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(gasp)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

(It'll never see the light of day, of course)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
christophe
Overbomber

Motz wrote:If they pay him royalties, he can't stop them from releasing them as "covers".
but why? its not like they have ever released it or anything? how can he prove he had written them? i'm problably talking bull-s**t but ...
Another Shade of You.
aims
Overbomber

IIRC, someone, probably canon docre, mentioned that the new songs were registered with ASCAP or a similar organisation as Eldritch/Pearson, which gives him a pretty convincing claim on the copyright ;)

It's basically the same situation as with the people who write pop songs - they're never going to release them themselves, but they still get paid royalties as the original composer.
mh
Above the Chemist

They're on the official website, with references to EMI publishing, so the band still have a publishing contract, and presumably everything is all nice and legal as a result of that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
christophe
Overbomber

ok thanks, I didn't know it works that way :)
and I didn't even know the new songs were registered.

and thanks canon docre: see next post :lol:
Last edited by christophe on 19 Jul 2006, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Another Shade of You.
canon docre
Overbomber

christophe wrote:
Motz wrote:If they pay him royalties, he can't stop them from releasing them as "covers".
but why? its not like they have ever released it or anything? how can he prove he had written them? i'm problably talking bull-s**t but ...
ah, I see another question for Jessie the music bizz wizz kid. :P :wink:

If a song is finished, it's a wise idea to register it at the usual "musical rights protecion societies". Because, if the song is being played live by whoever, the authors get money. :P

It has nothing to do whether a song is previously released on a record or not.

edit: oh I got overtaken by the other bizz kids. :cry: :wink:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

We'll just have to wait and see what happens....
And keep the fingers crossed. :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Multifaceted
Road Kill

So, while I'm de-lurking....

Did anyone else who met Ben at the concerts find him a little bit too... "youthfully optimistic"? I think there's a better expression, but I can't find it.

He seemed really nice, of course! But he seemed so animated and enthusiastic about things related to The Sisters, even if he didn't seem sure about the "future" of his ideas for songs and such himself.

In short, I guess he seemed just like everyone else in this thread. :lol:
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Doktor Gott wrote: he's going to see about getting new music recorded.
maybe he meant his own music, not The Sisters... :D :innocent:
Badlander
Overbomber

Multifaceted wrote: Did anyone else who met Ben at the concerts find him a little bit too... "youthfully optimistic"? I think there's a better expression, but I can't find it.
Maybe, but he's in a much better position than anyone on this forum, just because he's in the band. :innocent:

A little optimism on his part doesn't hurt. Von doesn't need someone to tell him "Oh, let's not release anything..." :wink:

And maybe that's why Von brought him in...
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Delilah wrote:
Doktor Gott wrote: he's going to see about getting new music recorded.
maybe he meant his own music, not The Sisters... :D :innocent:
Yes please :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Reptile
Amphetamine Filth

Doktor Gott

Word is, he's off to Istanbul for a bit and then he's going to see about getting new music recorded if Andrew agrees to it..
Main Stage

THE SISTERS OF MERCY - (United Kingdom)
The Sisters of Mercy are a rock band that emerged out of the British post punk scene in 1980-1981. After achieving early underground fame in UK, the band had their commercial breakthrough in mid-1980s and sustained it until early 1990s, when they stopped releasing new recorded output as a strike against their record company. Currently, the band is kept alive as a touring outfit only.
The group have recorded three original studio albums, of which the last was released in 1990. Each album was recorded by a different line-up, the only constant member was singer and songwriter Andrew Eldritch.

The group ceased recording activity in 1994, when they went on strike against their record company TimeWarner, which it accused of withholding royalties and incompetence. Although TimeWarner eventually let the band go in 1997, they have not signed to another label, and have chosen not to go the independent label route, despite showcasing numerous new songs in their live set.

The band cited Leonard Cohen and Motörhead, as well as the The Stooges and Suicide among their influences. The Sisters of Mercy were highly influential to the second wave of 80’s and 90’s rock bands. The band was revived for short tours every year since 1996, except 2004. The live performances do not resemble a nostalgia act, The Sisters Of Mercy plays an increasing catalogue of new unreleased songs, obscure B-sides, and reworked old classics.

The new album is reportedly being recorded in no hurry, and, according to Eldritch, can be completed in a few months if such need arises. Their 2006 tour began February 16 and includes dates in the USA, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Finland, England, Scotland and Turkey.

:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :D :D 8) 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:
The Light Shines Clear Through The Sodium Haze
The Night Draws Near And The Daylight Fades But Theres A
Voice In The Distance Quiet And Clear Saying
Something That I Never Wanted To Hear