Falaa lyrics

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
claws
Amphetamine Filth

I was thinking about the phrase "hand-me-down" in the song. Since english isn't my first language, I can't say I'm familiar with the expression. Does it mean something like "used goods" or "second hand" etc?
We are coming down but we will never, never land
Dan
Overbomber

When a child grows out of his clothes, if it's a large family or they can't afford new clothes, the old clothes are given to a younger child, and can be known as "hand me downs".

How this fits in with the song I don't know as I haven't analysed the lyrics in great detail, although I know others will be able to write a thesis on it, noting all the literary references (most of which will be coincidental). :roll:
claws
Amphetamine Filth

anyway, thanks for the explanation
We are coming down but we will never, never land
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:When a child grows out of his clothes, if it's a large family or they can't afford new clothes, the old clothes are given to a younger child, and can be known as "hand me downs".

How this fits in with the song I don't know as I haven't analysed the lyrics in great detail, although I know others will be able to write a thesis on it, noting all the literary references (most of which will be coincidental). :roll:
Only now that I'm 6'3" and I've outgrown my numerous relatives can I avoid it! :roll:
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hurray, thread necro!

"And what costume shall the poor girl wear? To all tomorrow's parties... a hand-me-down dress from who knows where..."
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nicely done!

So the lyric itself is a hand-me-down, heard before.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Cheers! :notworthy:
Although I doubt I'm the first to notice that, in the decades since the album came out :oops:
And :von: is kinda notorious for quoting/twisting existing lyrics/prose/poetry.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�