Cage's 4:33

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

OK there is no sound to it (or is there?) but it is a stimulating and thought provoking piece of 'music'.
Last edited by James Blast on 17 Jan 2004, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

and here is an mp3 of it
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

Art for arts sake?
Do you think he has any sense of irony or is he serious?
Apparently the musicians (?) had music sheets that they turned over after each movement.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dan
Overbomber

On another forum, discussion of this ran to many pages. It's a load of w@nk though innit?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

I might just buy it. I could do with a bit of peace and quiet around here.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:and here is an mp3 of it
@ Red Sunsets :notworthy:

The "MP3" link you post appears to not work - or was that the whole point :wink:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Silver_Owl
The Don

AndyTheGoth wrote:

The "MP3" link you post appears to not work - or was that the whole point :wink:
Oh Andy. :roll:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Steve303 wrote:
AndyTheGoth wrote:

Oh Andy. :roll:
@ Steve 303 - Please excuse my idiocy - I have bad head cold - hence I can not hear anything clearly ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Silver_Owl
The Don

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

4'33? Nice gimmick. Good means of making a point.

Once.

And once only. Next please.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Silver_Owl
The Don

andymackem wrote:4'33? Nice gimmick. Good means of making a point.

Once.

And once only. Next please.
Do you really think he was making a point Andy?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Steve:

Yeah. The whole thing about how noise varies depending on context. The way everyday sounds are perceived differently against a backdrop of "silence" rather than in the background to something else.

To an extent it also sends up the absurdity of the grand concert tradition: blokes in full dress suits performing hugely emotionally intense music in front of a politely receptive but largely unmoved audience. It's almost ridiculous, but is sustained by an on-going and unquestioned tradition.

Maybe. We'll see.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

wouldnt it be nice if they invented slience?

i mean, you could pop it into your system or put it in your discman and it would be just silence...no background sounds. Just silence.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Or you could not put it on at all and don't talk............And there you have it, silence without running the batteries down!
Only a paand.
zigeunerweisen

Red Sunsets wrote:OK there is no sound to it (or is there?) but it is a stimulating and thought provoking piece of 'music'.
I like minimalism and all, but this is just taking it a little to far i think.
zigeunerweisen

:lol:
zigeunerweisen

andymackem wrote:Steve:

Yeah. The whole thing about how noise varies depending on context. The way everyday sounds are perceived differently against a backdrop of "silence" rather than in the background to something else.
That's a good point.
But why 4:33?
Why not 5:12 or 2:56 or 25:46?
Is 4 minutes and 33 seconds just the right space of time needed to apprehend or seize this?

I do agree though, that under the right circumstances, sitting for 4:33 in silence in the middle of a minimalist concert can be enjoyable, maybe, i have yet to experience that.
To an extent it also sends up the absurdity of the grand concert tradition: blokes in full dress suits performing hugely emotionally intense music in front of a politely receptive but largely unmoved audience. It's almost ridiculous, but is sustained by an on-going and unquestioned tradition.

Maybe. We'll see.
It might be absurd, but what isn't?
zigeunerweisen

To be honest, a couple of years ago i was looking for cage's music in Kazaa and i did find a "4:33" mp3. I obviously thought, what the hell, why would there be an mp3 of this, am i missing something, but downloaded it anyway and... well, you got it, it was as expected 4:33 of silence. So now i know that 4 minutes of silence take 4 mb of disc space :)
hallucienate
Overbomber

zigeunerweisen wrote:To be honest, a couple of years ago i was looking for cage's music in Kazaa and i did find a "4:33" mp3. I obviously thought, what the hell, why would there be an mp3 of this, am i missing something, but downloaded it anyway and... well, you got it, it was as expected 4:33 of silence. So now i know that 4 minutes of silence take 4 mb of disc space :)
I hope you've got it at a high bit-rate :? :roll: :wink:
zigeunerweisen

But of course, i want quality in my silence ;D