Body Electric

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Not my strongest subject, interpreting lyrics, and this has probably been said many times before, but my hearing aids playing up. Could the idiot children be a reference to fans of Iggy Pop's The Idiot?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

As the song is widely supposed to be about The Phono, what we need is someone to tell us whether much Iggy used to be played in there back in Von's time.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

They were definitely playing The Passenger & Lust For Life there in '83.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Crumbs, they were still playing The Passenger in '91!

Probably still playing it these days :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

markfiend wrote:Crumbs, they were still playing The Passenger in '91!

Probably still playing it these days :urff:
Not last Saturday. At least not during the two minutes it took me to realise that as well as looking old and out of place, I now actually felt old and out of place. Full of kids who looked like they'd just come straight from Otley skateboard park. Runaway!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ye-e-e-es. As I recall, it did seem a little youth-club-esque last time I went. Although there were still a few old familiar faces propping up the bar.

Pipe and slippers corner, eh, Thrash?
—Bertrand Russell
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I can't remember if this comes up on 1959 and all that, but 'I sing the body electric' is a line from a Walt Whitman poem. See, it's not all TS Eliot, you know!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

MrChris wrote:I can't remember if this comes up on 1959 and all that, but 'I sing the body electric' is a line from a Walt Whitman poem.
There's certainly a reference to Whitman on there, cos I remember following a link when my interest was re-awakened a few years ago. Sisters lyrics. Never new there was so much to 'em. Never wanted to know before but since The Smurphs have got me dancing in a dungeon in Dodge, Dan's got me comparing early live performances and I've discovered I used to look like Ben Gunn, I may as well just hold my hands up and surrender now.

Be gentle with me, please.
James Blast
Banned

It's also a Weather Report (one for all you jazz buffs out there) album

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele