Body And Soul lyric

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hmmm.... I think somebody had better write something about the Body And Soul song/lyric, because no-one has, as yet. Get to it!
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
Silver_Owl
The Don

Just to start you off......

All your hidden faces
Your seven veils unfold
Give me forbidden places
All your tales untold

Give me ever and always
Ever and always, body and soul

Heaven and a hope eternal
Over your heart of gold
Sun and sunset
Burning in the flame you hold

Ever and always
Give me ever and always, body and soul

Yesterday
Today
Tomorrow
Body and soul

Give me ever the years you wept inside when cold
All the sins and secrets never cried
All the dreams you kept and the tears you sold, give me

Give me ever and always
Ever and always, body and soul
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Never meant much to me. I hope that helps.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
hallucienate
Overbomber

MrChris wrote:Never meant much to me. I hope that helps.
Pretty much have to agree here :?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Give me forbidden places
Shagging reference?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DomConway
Filth

I always took it at face value, to be a simple love song, sung to someone that the singer thinks is the best thing since sliced bread and wants to have for ever. Hmm, maybe sliced bread's not quite as beautiful as Von's metaphors but there you go :)
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

dodgy goff nonsense. a lyrical low point.

:urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

No, i quite like the lyrics a lot.

It may be simple, and a love poem, but it's also very intricate and much more articulate than most such love-poetry. In my opinion it can't be compared to such common goth-stuff, or usual romantic love poetry from 18th and 19th century. Just look at the way it's written. There's true romance instead of mere indulgence. There's nothing that doesn't mean something.

dei
we've got beer and we've got fuel
DomConway
Filth

Black Horizon wrote:Jesus Christ, am I the ONLY person who likes this song?
I like it a lot :D
the only thing to fear is fear itself
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

imo body and and soul is good example for a sisters song in which the atmosphere of the (original) music differs from atmosphere of the lyrics - interferring each other.
lyrics are really nice and consistent, not spectacular but comply much better with the music as played live especially in early 84 - my alltime favourite for that one: oxford, may 84 - showing a strong attitude torwards love and life
love is just a shot away
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

see Christopher Marlowe - Dr Faustus :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Black Biscuit

Well, I like the song, too, even if it polarizes opinion in the Sisters fan camp. But I must admit I've never been too good at interpreting the lyrics of artists, primarily due to their fondness for speaking in riddles and metaphor.

I often think, if you've got something to say, why don't you just say it?

Being too cryptic is self-indulgent and assumes that others will devote the requisite amount of time to deciphering your abstractions. (The general public won't!)

As for the Body And Soul lyric, I saw a darker sub-text of 'hope' to it - the type of hope that keeps gamblers gambling even when they're on a losing streak. (Plus other things I can't really seem to find words for right now. Ugghhh....)
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
Big Si
School Bully

Not sure about the recorded version, but the live version's kick the proverbial 8) :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Electrochrome

I think it's just proof that Eldritch could write a love song that went a bit beyond the requisite 'baby baby baby' lyrics we always hear. It's a solid, poetic song, not too cryptic.

I always thought the studio version sounded really weak--just flimsy. The bootleg versions put some oomph into it! Particularly the drums--they should be thundering in the studio, but the whole thing sounds very airy, maybe intentionally, I don't know. (Eldritch did produce it himself, probably thinks it sounded like rubbish now.)

I like the Milan '85 boot for the sound--you can clearly hear the Doktor hammer out that beat. Of course, they've only got one guitarist for that show, so at times the songs are a lot more rhythmic with only Craig Adam and the Doktors clearly audible, and the guitar rather ghostly...
Calidore
Road Kill

paint it black wrote:see Christopher Marlowe - Dr Faustus :roll:
ok, it's a whole play, forgive me ofr taking the liberty of scannning through it: are you possibly referring to

"full power to fetch or carry the said John Faustus body and soul"?

or

" the devil
threatened to tear me in pieces, if I named God, to fetch
both body and soul, if I once gave ear to divinity. "

soul crops up with alarming regularity in that play, it's everywhere. anyway I think this is just a "love" song, it sounds musically like a form of waltz, or dance, so perhaps it's a song about a lap dancer who captivated him or something.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

I love this song, too. Don't know much of the lyrics, never thought of them before but the "seven veils" ring a bell: Isn't there a mythical figure (a woman), who has seven veils, and if you manage to lift the last, the seventh veil, you will see the (absolute) truth (of your life or mof life itself or of the world or whatever, but THE TRUTH)?

....Trying to remember in which novel I've read about it....

:roll:
Eva.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's the dance of the seven veils?

Or are you thinking of the seven seals in the Revelation (also the film "The Seventh Seal" by Ingmar Bergman)?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

So, you've been google-ing it? So have I... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe, but I thought it was about something else, rather like: If you look her in the face, you'll see the truth. On the other hand: what they write about the Highpriestesses and their seven veils might be connected...
But what I had in mind was rather a female figure like the Highpriestess in the Tarot cards, certainly not Salome, because as far as I've gathered now google-ing the expression, she didn't reveal the truth, she wasn't a kind of oracle.

By the way: There seems to be at least one (old) film with the title "The seventh veil" (1945), by a director called Bennet, if that rings a bell to somebody....

:roll: Eva.