Blood Money

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this track? I like it a lot, full of menace and spare lyrics.

I always took the title and chorus (Blood Money) both ways--blood money being dirty money (acquired by spilling blood) or that blood WAS the money.

Whose hand holds blood money...
Kiss the ring...
Kiss the blade...

Bullet in the head...

Definitely more than a drug song...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe something about taking "Blood Money" (or dirty corporate bastard money) from WEA?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

The second in Mr. E's assassin trilogy?

cf. Home Of The Hitmen, Neverland (a fragment)

I'm sure there are many more...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Red Sunsets wrote:The second in Mr. E's assassin trilogy?

cf. Home Of The Hitmen, Neverland (a fragment)

I'm sure there are many more...
Neverland

How is that? :? Unless imagining our planet's entire population falling to the earth with enormous speed is an assassination I don't see that in Never Land ? :urff: :D

Blood Money

Is indeed about taking money from a big corporation i.e. WEA; pretty straight forward lyrics imho, well straight forward in a Von way that is :D
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Neverland ---- I never bought Von's explanation, which I think was a joke. I agree it's an assassination song, albeit an aborted one.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

The hand on the gun and the ticket to Syria made me presume it was something to do with a hitman.
mh
Above the Chemist

HOTHM was a Marx song though, wasn't it???

Interesting thing about Blood Money is that, on the labels, the credits for it are in reverse order to what is normal. Take the 7" for example, you get on the A side: Eldritch / Hussey - Marx - Adams (or whatever), and on the B side: Hussey / Eldritch.

I've always read this as indicating that it meant Wayne actually wrote those lyrics (explaining the hackneyed aphorisms that kinda appear in them) and Von wrote the music. Which makes it strange that they did it live, though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:Neverland ---- I never bought Von's explanation, which I think was a joke. I agree it's an assassination song, albeit an aborted one.
Neverland seems mostly autobiographical, not sure the other layers though.

The 'Syria' reference is explained on the 1959 website, else I can't figure out why he has a ticket there(!)

Face on the mirror - drug reference
Hand on the gun - another Von firearm reference, hand on the controls (of life and death)
Place in the sun - vacation?

Everything within reach, money and 'stuff', each and every call. I always assumed it was a statement on his career at that point. The Sisters were about to get big, and then ::poof:: the band just imploded. It was 'too much but never enough'. Von likes challenges, he needed something more than the excesses of touring.

And that last line: 'Tear it up and watch it fall'--isn't it eerie that they began to play this track live a couple of years ago? Is he trying to tell us something?

As for Blood Money, were they having so many problems with WEA in the mid-80s then? By that point at least? And now I'm intrigued--are those Hussey's lyrics, I somehow doubt it, but who knows...
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

I've often wondered whether "syria" was a terrible pun for "serie a"..

And I do like the fact that mixi.net has the lyrics as "I had monkey and stuff".. ;)

Blood Money's a bit rubbish, lyrically, isn't it? It doesn't seem fleshed out at all.. unless it's _supposed_ to be literally "splinters (of conversation) on the telephone).. but it's all very proto-Sisters.. the good stuff was yet to come.
[repeat x40]
Hojyuu-obi

MrChris wrote:Neverland ---- I never bought Von's explanation, which I think was a joke. I agree it's an assassination song, albeit an aborted one.
Could be. But it's an intruiging idea nevertheless. Any idea which interview Von's "explanation" is from?

Imho the song is an impression of a night spent in a(n) (altered) state of mind with reflections on killing/ destruction and (more) drugs (could be Afterhours part2 now I think of it, but more violent)

In short Von searching his inner most dictator self. :von: :lol:
James Blast
Banned

@kafka sorry, Blood Money is one of my all time most very favourite songs.
And the Dublin '97 version Petseri has offered on the weeding thread, contains a fine take on it.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Hojyuu-obi

Red Sunsets wrote:@kafka sorry, Blood Money is one of my all time most very favourite songs.
And the Dublin '97 version Petseri has offered on the weeding thread, contains a fine take on it.
It's one of the better b-sides of '84-'85 imho, that being said it doesn't "deserve" to have been added to FALAA.

I never heard that '97 version, anything specifically different to the song (I hope not in a modern First & Last kind of way, which they totally butchered imo).
Hojyuu-obi

Electrochrome wrote: As for Blood Money, were they having so many problems with WEA in the mid-80s then? By that point at least? And now I'm intrigued--are those Hussey's lyrics, I somehow doubt it, but who knows...
I think it's the classic fans/general perception-feel(s)-that-they-sold-out-by-signing-to-a-major story. The band probably felt that way too at a certain point :?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Hojyuu-obi wrote:I think it's the classic fans/general perception-feel(s)-that-they-sold-out-by-signing-to-a-major story. The band probably felt that way too at a certain point
Most noticeably the absence of the word 'Amphetamine' on the track listing on the back of First and Last.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
James Blast
Banned

Thrash Harry wrote:Most noticeably the absence of the word 'Amphetamine' on the track listing on the back of First and Last.
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you.
~ Peter Steele
Hojyuu-obi

Red Sunsets wrote:
Thrash Harry wrote:Most noticeably the absence of the word 'Amphetamine' on the track listing on the back of First and Last.
Homo Homini Lupus
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote:
Homo Homini Lupus
Veni, Vidi, Vimto.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote: Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you.
Homo Homini Lupus
Veni, Vidi, Vimto.
:lol:
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Hojyuu-obi

I was showing off too much wasn't I :oops:

http://www.nicholsplc.co.uk/hist/vimhist.htm
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

As far as my history knowledge goes, the first attempt at a genetically modified soft drink :roll:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote:
Homo Homini Lupus
penii surrendii afid
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Hojyuu-obi

Quiff Boy wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote: Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you.
Homo Homini Lupus
penii surrendii afid
What does that mean ?
Hojyuu-obi

or do you mean penii suspendi afix
Last edited by Hojyuu-obi on 08 May 2004, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote: Homo Homini Lupus
penii surrendii afid
What does that mean ?
i gather it translates as something like "give your penis to the greenfly" ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Hojyuu-obi

Quiff Boy wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: penii surrendii afid
What does that mean ?
i gather it translates as something like "give your penis to the greenfly" ;D
Ok, I thought you were 'chopping' of things :urff: ;D