NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:16
Planet Dave wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 22:57
TheBoyNextDoor wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 22:30 This is good; love the new songs.

They know what they need to do after the tour.
Yeah, tour England! ;D
Right after they play Scotland. :P
:lol: a just point.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The eyes of Caligula.

Wow.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

On the subject of what order the songs would be on the album:
Going with the whole "This IS the album" thing, what if the order they premiered them is as intented? Doesn't make a bad tracklist, off the top of my head
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
godgirl

Dust Witch wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 21:55 Yes, send musicians into a war zone to perform amongst rubble for people in bunkers. They can bring back the Andrews Sisters cover for that forces sweetheart vibe. That'll really show Putin who's boss!
Oh come on! Some Sisters fans have had worse ideas before! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
H. Blackrose

fractalsister wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:02 A concert in Kyiv on the 9th of May, perhaps? They could even play Dominion with lyrics slightly altered for the occasion..
Another shade of yellow, sunset yellow
Another shade of blue
Can make it summer

(actually, they should do a Pink Floyd and release that as a benefit single)

"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
H. Blackrose

Todashi wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:41 The eyes of Caligula.

Wow.
One of the best of the many songs dissing Thatcher I've heard, and it only took :von: 40 years
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

godgirl wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 13:49
Dust Witch wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 21:55 Yes, send musicians into a war zone to perform amongst rubble for people in bunkers. They can bring back the Andrews Sisters cover for that forces sweetheart vibe. That'll really show Putin who's boss!

This is true. And tbf, some are so bad, they're brilliant.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Dust Witch wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 23:30

however there are multitudinous poseurs artistes and lesser musicians who would love a good photo opportunity and a chance to be shortlisted for a Knobbly Peas Prize without endangering the Industrial Groove Machine.... send ALL of them and keep The Sisters Safe
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Todashi

Courtesy of Simon Cardwell on Facebook, a grainy and blurry shot from last night's gig in Salzhaus, confirmation that Davey is definitely equipped with a keyboard.

So that settles that. Unless it's a prop, he's playing at least some keys live. That's fantastic, and unless I'm mistaken, is something new for the sisters in recent decades. Other than Lisa Cuthbert and her excellent This Corrosion a few years ago in the middle of a gig, wasn't it the early 90s when they last had an extra instrument on stage.

Being645
Above the Chemist

Cool ... ;D ... eventually keyboards again !!! That makes such a difference !!! ... ;D ;D ;D ...
The entire show becomes more alive, more dynamic and more energetically coordinated, hah ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Last time they had a real keyboard player was (well apart from the TV appearances)
https://sisterswiki.org/Suzanna_Josefowicz ... :D :notworthy: ...
czuczu
Overbomber

That's only 2 octave thing - is he actually playing much on that or just triggering stuff which seems much more likely :/
Todashi

My guess is that the keys are still mostly pre-programmed - that's just my hunch based on the synths on the new songs sounding pretty much identical each time.

I'd guess he's adding accents, perhaps playing some of the longer intros for But Genevieve, Don't Drive on Ice etc, when they start the gigs with them - that kind of thing. Obviously I don't really know though - this is just based off listening to the YouTube clips. Regardless, I think it's a positive move towards more authentic musicianship and a more fully realised version of a band - Von and the gang really have been busy. The entire back catalogue has been tweaked with new sounds and occasionally new rhythms etc, and in addition, most of the new songs sound remarkably finished. Some are done to my ear, and others sound like if they were recorded in a studio, probably there might be more to add to them to flesh them out, but they all work live.

It would be interesting to know how these new songs were written - sketches sent to Von for approval, demos, programming, drums etc, lyrics written - there's a decent interview to be done with them, along the lines of the kind of article you'd expect to see around an actual release. They may not actually record these, but it sounds to me like they've done 90 per cent of the work. Like, if they did suddenly decide they wanted to produce a record, they could probably record it in a week or two. Either way, I'd love to know more about the creative process, what changed, how it feels to be doing something new, the impact on the live experience - there's a lot to talk about.
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

Just listened to Eye of Caligula and it's so good, this era has some of my favorite sisters songs like Better Reptile, Black Sail, and But Genevieve. I'd die to hear a proper recording of them all. Image
:von: Check out my Comic series: https://unhingedcomic.com/ :von:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Listening to the "cleaned" version of Eyes of Caligula, very clearly hit material, I can definitely see it getting frequent radio time if released! A real earworm.

MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Bloody great song. Get it on vinyl and on the radio!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
iesus
Overbomber

Good work remastering it, Sound turned up clear and :von: 's voice at better levels than vids from this :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

euphoria wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 10:00 Listening to the "cleaned" version of Eyes of Caligula, very clearly hit material, I can definitely see it getting frequent radio time if released! A real earworm.

That sounds a bit bloody good. Should definitely be a single.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Wow, astonishing ... that sound's great ! ... :eek: :D :notworthy: ... * respect, newchlochim ... :D :D :D ...
godgirl

Todashi wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 13:03
My guess is that the keys are still mostly pre-programmed - that's just my hunch based on the synths on the new songs sounding pretty much identical each time.

I'd guess he's adding accents, perhaps playing some of the longer intros for But Genevieve, Don't Drive on Ice etc, when they start the gigs with them - that kind of thing. Obviously I don't really know though...
I guess the best bet is for someone to just ASK Creff?!

:eek: :eek: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :innocent: :innocent:

Now, if only I could get someone to stay at my flat for 3-4 days to look after my cats making it possible for me to head to Stockholm....
Annoyingly, my neighbour is also away 18-22nd May, so despite me plying him with regular bribes of human food, he won't be around to do so for me! Same reason there was no chance of going to Brussels... :(

Marge
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
godgirl

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 00:38
Dust Witch wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 23:30

however there are multitudinous poseurs artistes and lesser musicians who would love a good photo opportunity and a chance to be shortlisted for a Knobbly Peas Prize without endangering the Industrial Groove Machine.... send ALL of them and keep The Sisters Safe
This is a genius idea! Maybe Bruce Dickinson wants to go again?

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron- ... ble-story/

(I read about it in his autobiography, which I mostly bought because I'd not packed enough reading for a weekend away and it was cheap in the local Asda...)

I can think of a lot of more suitable candidates though.. let's send Ian Brown, Right Said Fred, Liam Gallagher, Coldplay ("our gig is going to be carbon neutral, so let's not bother with flak vests..") etc... :lol: :lol:
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Wow! Who knows, they might even have *gasp* bass again sometime...!
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Guedzilla wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 17:11 Wow! Who knows, they might even have *gasp* bass again sometime...!
Now now. Let's not get crazy :D
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I've decided that the chords in When I'm On Fire sound a bit like Simple Minds - when they were good, that is. I really like it.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
DJW
Road Kill

MrChris wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 10:29 I've decided that the chords in When I'm On Fire sound a bit like Simple Minds - when they were good, that is. I really like it.
I agree, and it’s a very un-Sisters key change in the chorus.

Also, the guitar at the beginning of Here is very reminiscent of Bo Ramsey’s “Can’t Sleep”. There’s some REM “Drive” in there too…
iesus
Overbomber

DJW wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 11:04 .. a very un-Sisters key change ...
What do you mean exactly?
Also to not be predictable, imho sounds better than hear something and say somthing like: "Hey this is u2" for example 8) :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."