heartland

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
rideon
Road Kill
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Sep 2004, 20:13

I really love this song but what is it about, my native language is not english you see!

cheers.
User avatar
christophe
Overbomber
Posts: 3527
Joined: 17 Jan 2004, 09:42
Location: Grinderstreet

It’s about this site you fool!

:lol: :lol:
Another Shade of You.
User avatar
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 183
Joined: 16 Dec 2003, 18:24
Location: a comfortable, tunnel-like hall

rideon wrote:I really love this song but what is it about, my native language is not english you see!
It's about Gary Marx maturing as a songwriter. Beyond that, who knows?
User avatar
CellThree
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1721
Joined: 14 Feb 2003, 22:05
Location: 4200 miles from my record collection
Contact:

Red_Kola wrote:
rideon wrote:I really love this song but what is it about, my native language is not english you see!
It's about Gary Marx maturing as a songwriter. Beyond that, who knows?
Drugs and cars.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
User avatar
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord
Posts: 2351
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:25
Location: Ragnarök

CellThree wrote: Drugs and cars.
So guns and accidents came later ..?
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20394
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

One of the more blatant drug references in the Sisters' oeuvre.

"Lay me down the long white line" :roll: :lol: to go with the "One more night spent on your mirror" presumably. :innocent:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16075
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

http://www.fourth-floor.co.uk/lyricfile/heartland.htm

i always read "heartland" in this case as being used to describe a place you feel you "belong". the home where your heart is, as it were.

i see the song as being about having been out into the big wide world, seen life, done great things, made mistakes, and now he's looking for his spritual home where he can rest.

on drugs.

;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
User avatar
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 303
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Railway Cuttings, East Cheam

It's about somebody suffering from Repetitive Verse Injury...

A very bad case it appears too... :roll: :innocent:
Amused to death...
User avatar
boudicca
Sister Midnight
Posts: 7432
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 16:15
Location: embrace the margin
Contact:

Lars Svensson wrote:It's about somebody suffering from Repetitive Verse Injury...

A very bad case it appears too... :roll: :innocent:
Tee-hee-hee - I just Googled to get the lyrics to hand, and at the end it said 'Chorus [repeatx40]'. :lol: I normally get extremely pissed off with the dragging-out of songs (Bela Lugosi's dead anyone? :roll: And This Corrosion for that matter), but I don't know... in Heartland I think it actually adds to the song. You know, it just builds and builds, and then the little guitar goes all high - oooh I love that bit!

Yes, I am a loser.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16075
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

"then the little guitar goes all high - oooh I love that bit!"

thats my fave bit too 8) ;D :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
User avatar
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 557
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 06:50
Location: California

I always thought it was about speed... speed... and more speed.... but above all... its about speed

:)
User avatar
boudicca
Sister Midnight
Posts: 7432
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 16:15
Location: embrace the margin
Contact:

Quiff Boy wrote:"then the little guitar goes all high - oooh I love that bit!"

thats my fave bit too 8) ;D :lol:
"Shhhh! Shhh! Listen - here comes the really good bit.... :D aww, I love that bit I do!"
My dad does that with Gershwin. :lol: It's not at all annoying.

But anyway, on the subject of Heartland again, I get a big "delusions of grandeur" feeling from it - Von doing the old "I'm the king-o-the-world!" routine. Hmm, he could cover "My Heart Will Go On". 8) I'm one of the few Sisters fans (it would appear) who does not have an intimate realtionship with illegal substances, but I always thought it was a cocaine song rather than a speed song! No? Oh, well, what do I know... :oops:

bloody herbal tea drinker that I am!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
User avatar
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 172
Joined: 27 Jun 2004, 00:31
Location: Budapest airspace

Quiff Boy wrote:i see the song as being about having been out into the big wide world, seen life, done great things, made mistakes, and now he's looking for his spritual home where he can rest.

on drugs.

;)
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
I would have done something, but I was overwhelmed by a lack of concern.
User avatar
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 361
Joined: 09 Sep 2003, 11:45
Location: In front of the computer

Kind of existentialist, isn't it? Perhaps its about Germany.
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
User avatar
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 557
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 06:50
Location: California

I always thought is was about going on stage and being on stage, and having an audience in your grasp.... all while on speed.
User avatar
Lowrider
Road Kill
Posts: 87
Joined: 30 Sep 2003, 08:29
Location: London

boudicca wrote: routine. Hmm, he could cover "My Heart Will Go On". 8) I'm one of the few Sisters fans (it would appear) who does not have an intimate realtionship with illegal substances, but I always thought it was a cocaine song rather than a speed song! No? Oh, well, what do I know... :oops:

bloody herbal tea drinker that I am!
Cocaine = short buzz, king of world, mild to great paranoia (depending on usage)
speed = stay up all night, and the next night too, grinding, bad-tempered wiredness, staying up until it's not funny any more -- and then four days longer than that.

I would imagine. I also only drink herbal tea so this is all guess work.

If my supposition is true, Heartland is definitely speed. Heartland. Heartland. Heartland. Heartland (crunch there goes another filling) heartland. Heartland.

What? oops, I've just sacked the band.

Again.

LR
And something tells me that when nothing is left on this planet except nuclear waste
and cockroaches - there'll still be Lemmy -- AE
User avatar
boudicca
Sister Midnight
Posts: 7432
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 16:15
Location: embrace the margin
Contact:

Lowrider wrote:
Cocaine = short buzz, king of world, mild to great paranoia (depending on usage)
speed = stay up all night, and the next night too, grinding, bad-tempered wiredness, staying up until it's not funny any more -- and then four days longer than that.
That's a pretty succinct description of the Vonmeister there! :von: :lol:
Lowrider wrote:
Heartland (crunch there goes another filling) heartland. Heartland.

What? oops, I've just sacked the band.

LR
And collapsed from "exhaustion". :roll: Don't worry Andy darling, I'll make you a nice cup of Raspberry and Elderflower, that'll soon sort you out.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
User avatar
Francis
Overbomber
Posts: 2617
Joined: 02 Jul 2004, 16:58
Location: Loose shoes...

Temple Of Love. Heartland. Gimme Shelter. :roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
User avatar
boudicca
Sister Midnight
Posts: 7432
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 16:15
Location: embrace the margin
Contact:

Francis wrote:Temple Of Love. Heartland. Gimme Shelter. :roll:
Umm, at the risk of looking stupid... :?: :oops:
If we're naming Sisters songs, no problem - I can do that! :D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
User avatar
Francis
Overbomber
Posts: 2617
Joined: 02 Jul 2004, 16:58
Location: Loose shoes...

boudicca wrote:
Francis wrote:Temple Of Love. Heartland. Gimme Shelter. :roll:
Umm, at the risk of looking stupid...
It had just dawned on me that the titles of the three songs on that 12" seemed connected. Temple-Shelter, Love-Heart. I'm sure it made sense at the time. :oops: :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
User avatar
boudicca
Sister Midnight
Posts: 7432
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 16:15
Location: embrace the margin
Contact:

Francis wrote:
boudicca wrote:
Francis wrote:Temple Of Love. Heartland. Gimme Shelter. :roll:
Umm, at the risk of looking stupid...
It had just dawned on me that the titles of the three songs on that 12" seemed connected. Temple-Shelter, Love-Heart. I'm sure it made sense at the time. :oops: :lol:
Aha! You might be on to something there! You "run for cover in the Temple Of Love" after all, which would suggest that it's some kind of "Shelter"...... :urff: :roll: I think the forensic study of Von's lyrics has just reached its ultimate, hideous conclusion! :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

nodubmanshouts wrote:I always thought it was about speed... speed... and more speed.... but above all... its about speed

:)
Yes, and cars..

(just listening to the Halloween gig 1984) ;)
User avatar
pikkrong
Overbomber
Posts: 3929
Joined: 19 Aug 2002, 01:00
Location: Estonia

boudicca wrote: I normally get extremely pissed off with the dragging-out of songs but I don't know... in Heartland I think it actually adds to the song. You know, it just builds and builds, and then the little guitar goes all high - oooh I love that bit!
agree.
User avatar
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard
Posts: 1466
Joined: 17 Sep 2004, 20:57
Location: Was the UK, but now Columbus, Ohio

I am ashamed to admit that this is one of my least Favourite Sisters songs, because of its repetitive chorus :oops:

Do I have to give away my black suede jackets with the fringes now? :innocent:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16075
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

BillyBadBreaks wrote:Do I have to give away my black suede jackets with the fringes now? :innocent:
please do :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Post Reply