olympics

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

so london won.

joy.

cant wait for 2012.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

su-f**king-perb!

now where do i order tickets?
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

youre sooooooo slow. posted the result ages ago,,,,,at least minutes ago.....and i say bah hoo to it all. media circus to follow, unless i get a decent job out of it . only 7 years to wait. oh joy
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

I don't know which I'm more happy about. Winning the Olympics or beating the French. Again.

Trafalgar Square is rocking at the moment. Litterally thousands are on the street. Fab.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

RicheyJames wrote:su-f**king-perb!

tickets to what, the aftermath in 2013?

the "olympic village" flatlands that will be deserted, empty apart from a few business conferences and a couple of hundred skate kids using it as the worlds most expensive skate park?

the outlay for this kind of thing is always disproportionate to the revenue it will allegedly generate, or the short-term service industry jobs it will create (peanut sellers, waiters and ground sweepers).

a waste of money. the kudos and "getting one up on the french" just isn't worth it.
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

The Red Arrows have just flown over as well.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

The stadia won't go to waste though. A precendent has been set - they'll be given to manchester city.
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Quiff Boy wrote:

a waste of money. the kudos and "getting one up on the french" just isn't worth it.
oh stop being such a miserable right-on c**t. have you ever been to stratford? it's not exactly a utopian paradise right now.

it's the olympics. it's the cream of the world's sporting talent. and it's going to be on your doorstep.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

RicheyJames wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

oh stop being such a miserable right-on c**t. have you ever been to stratford? it's not exactly a utopian paradise right now.

it's the olympics. it's the cream of the world's sporting talent. and it's going to be on your doorstep.
athens 2004: clicky
The Guardian wrote:The 2004 Olympiad may have been the IOC president Jacques Rogge's "dream games", the bonanza that defied the doomsayers. But nearly six months after opening in spectacular style, Greeks have been left wondering whether their only legacy is the ¿9bn (£6.25bn) bill they ran up.

They are likely to be paying for decades for the most costly Olympics ever. "It's like we built a brand new house, held a great party, then closed it and, now, have no guests," lamented Serafim Kotrotsos, who headed communications in the Athens 2004 organising committee. "It's hard to tell that this city even staged the Olympics. The last thing you can say is that the atmosphere, after the games, has been good."

etc
beijing 2008: clicky and clicky

:|
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I wouldn't exactly call London "my doorstep" ;)

However, I do think that the idea of taking a load of kids from the East End as part of the delegation was a masterstroke. I cordially detest Tory boy Lord Coe, but whoever wrote his speech was very good.

I see what you're saying QB but there's no guarantee it'll be a financial disaster. IIRC Atlanta 1996 and Sydney 2000 made a profit.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

RicheyJames wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

Shock horror! I agree with Richey. Stratford is S***hole that badly needs regenerating.
Hell is other people
ruffers
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
a waste of money. ........."getting one up on the french" just isn't worth it.
I beg to differ :lol:

This is great. As Richey James says the cream of sporting talent here and a chance to show the world we're up to the job with these things. I'll definitely go, I like a bit of athletics. As it goes I'm going to the London Grand Prix in a couple of weeks. which is riiiight on my doorstep. Literally.
Chucking another log on
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Quiff Boy wrote:
RicheyJames wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: tickets to what, the aftermath in 2013?

athens 2004: clicky
The Guardian wrote:The 2004 Olympiad may have been the IOC president Jacques Rogge's "dream games", the bonanza that defied the doomsayers. But nearly six months after opening in spectacular style, Greeks have been left wondering whether their only legacy is the ¿9bn (£6.25bn) bill they ran up.

They are likely to be paying for decades for the most costly Olympics ever. "It's like we built a brand new house, held a great party, then closed it and, now, have no guests," lamented Serafim Kotrotsos, who headed communications in the Athens 2004 organising committee. "It's hard to tell that this city even staged the Olympics. The last thing you can say is that the atmosphere, after the games, has been good."

etc
beijing 2008: clicky and clicky

:|
atlanta 96 - £300m profit
seoul 88 - £30m profit
l.a. 84 - £125m profit

in addition, sydney 2000 boosted the australian economy by an estimated three billion dollars

all figures, incidentally, from the same pinko rag as yours.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Face it, it would take an orgy of mismanagement to fail to make a profit from an Olympiad these days (with all due respect to Greece :innocent:)

Oh, wait...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

From the BBC report:

Following the news that London has been selected "mortgage lenders predicted house prices in the capital would rocket"

Excellent - that should prevent even more key (underpaid) workers such as nurses and teachers from being able to buy/rent accomodation in and around London. :evil:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

lazarus corporation wrote:From the BBC report:

Following the news that London has been selected "mortgage lenders predicted house prices in the capital would rocket"

Excellent - that should prevent even more key (underpaid) workers such as nurses and teachers from being able to buy/rent accomodation in and around London. :evil:
they could flatten the olympic skate board park after the event and build affordable "key worker accomodation" using the £300m+ profits ;)
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

london 2012 wrote:And 9,000 new homes would be created, alongside new schools, health and community facilities. Half of these homes would be designated as affordable housing.
source
hallucienate
Overbomber

I think spending vast amounts of money on a skate park is a fine idea. Provided they only allow access to skaters from back in the day and bar all the little brats who skate these days.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

RicheyJames wrote:
london 2012 wrote:And 9,000 new homes would be created, alongside new schools, health and community facilities. Half of these homes would be designated as affordable housing.
source
Can't you just go back to being a cantankerous curmudgeon?

I was quite happy being grumpy about London 2012.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Promises promises. I'll believe it when I have a friend whose unmarried, pregnant, teenage sister has moved into the "affordable housing." Beyond that, do you think the London of the Olympicized future will give me a job? Cos that would be cool.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

CorpPunk wrote:Beyond that, do you think the London of the Olympicized future will give me a job? Cos that would be cool.
Not until you spell Olympicised the English way. :innocent: :wink:
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

That's exactly the point, my dear. I'll need a work permit along with that job!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Quiff Boy wrote:athens 2004: clicky
Athens 2004 was okay, but Athens 2003 :eek:

They basically rebuilt the whole of Athens (I was being a tourist down there), and even tore down major parts of the Acropolis :eek: and of course put them back afterwards, all cleaned up

Note the parts missing on top

Crazy Greeks :roll:

Anyway, if the games will be as much of a succes as the Barcelona 1990-something games, I wish you guys good luck, since it gave a huge boom to Barcelona and Spain as a whole as well...

For me, no difference, Paris or London, not much difference in distance from Belgium, is there :innocent: ....
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I can't afford "affordable housing" around here and I get paid quite well for the area, let alone London :(
Francis
Overbomber

I quite like skinny, flat-chested women in tight shorts.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.