font question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

need a wee favour :D

has anyone got a font called Bernhard Antique in pc format (ie: true type)?

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ef/bernhard-antique/

i have a mac "stuffit" file with it a mac version of the font in, and a copy of crossfont which should be able to convert it to pc format, but stuffit really doesnt want to install on my pc so i cant even extract the archive in the first place...

and i gather you really need to do all extraction/conversion gubbins on the on the same computer otherwise the mac "resource forks" get f**ked up :urff: :roll:

so, anyone got a pc version of the font? that would save all the hassle :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mik
Chameleons Guru

I've got Bernhard Modern / Bernhard Bold Condensed if that's any use?

Depending on what your using it for you can whack an effect over it maybe?
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

using it for this:

want to do a few headings etc for the website using the same typeface as their logo.

do either of those look anything like it?
James Blast
Banned

the Antique version is showing nowt but squares, maybe this will help http://fonts.goldenweb.it/pan_file/l/en ... fault.html

if not, try the Antique one http://fonts.goldenweb.it/pan_file/l/en ... fault.html
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mik
Chameleons Guru

Bernhardt Bold Condensed:

PM me with an email address if it is and I'll zip it up and 'let you have it'.
Something pithy.
James Blast
Banned

I do hope you know FaST? :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Talking of fonts, does anyone know of a font where the numerals have ascenders and descenders like they used to in old books? Sort of like this:
*edit: I did that on photoshop with shifting some of them up, using a lower case o as the zero and an i with the dot taken off for a 1. But they didn't used to have to do that back in the day of proper movable type...
Last edited by markfiend on 01 Sep 2005, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

I hope that you know about "Fair Use", Mr Blast.

If you can obtain a Mac copy of the font then no court would consider it unreasonable for you to convert it or obtain a converted copy that you could have reasonably created yourself.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not telling you how i "obtained" the mac one then ;)
James Blast
Banned

Motz wrote:I hope that you know about "Fair Use", Mr Blast.

If you can obtain a Mac copy of the font then no court would consider it unreasonable for you to convert it or obtain a converted copy that you could have reasonably created yourself.
I'm not quite up to speed on that one Master Motz but I do remember the days when you could purchase a font but needed licenses to use it on more than one printer.
~ Peter Steele
mik
Chameleons Guru

markfiend wrote:Talking of fonts, does anyone know of a font where the numerals have ascenders and descenders like they used to in old books?
"Oldstyle" as opposed to "Lining" numerals. Do a google but offhand I know about these:

DTD Silvertone Woodtype (Sans Serif / Helvetica-esque)
ITC New Winchester (Serif / Times New Roman-esque)
ITC Braganza (Script type)

In fact, courtesy of Google, this might help: Oldstyle Figures plus this pdf
Something pithy.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

@ Mark, One font we use on our design drawings that has the ascender/descender is ColonnaMT, a truetype font.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
valeryg
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:need a wee favour :D

has anyone got a font called Bernhard Antique in pc format (ie: true type)?

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ef/bernhard-antique/

i have a mac "stuffit" file with it a mac version of the font in, and a copy of crossfont which should be able to convert it to pc format, but stuffit really doesnt want to install on my pc so i cant even extract the archive in the first place...

and i gather you really need to do all extraction/conversion gubbins on the on the same computer otherwise the mac "resource forks" get f**ked up :urff: :roll:

so, anyone got a pc version of the font? that would save all the hassle :roll:
Quiff Boy, if you send me the font i will convert and send back to you.. just tell me: true type or t1 you want?
James Blast
Banned

@ mf Berling
@ QB why would anyone stuff a font these days?
~ Peter Steele
valeryg
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:Talking of fonts, does anyone know of a font where the numerals have ascenders and descenders like they used to in old books? Sort of like this:
*edit: I did that on photoshop with shifting some of them up, using a lower case o as the zero and an i with the dot taken off for a 1. But they didn't used to have to do that back in the day of proper movable type...
do you want serif fonts or sans serif? look for FFScala or MetaPlus or Quadraat too.. you're a mac user right?
aims
Overbomber

James Blast wrote: @ QB why would anyone stuff a font these days?
I'm not QB (honest :roll:), but I'll answer anyway.

While stuffing a single file isn't going to save you much, when you're hosting thousands of fonts and serving many downloads of each of them, the bandwidth/disk-space costs add up and a saving in the order of kilobytes per file can have an effect on your bandwidth in the order of gigabytes.
James Blast
Banned

Motz wrote:the bandwidth/disk-space costs add up and a saving in the order of kilobytes per file can have an effect on your bandwidth in the order of gigabytes.
get a job :P

I'm just amazed boudicca hasn't had something to say on this one :roll:
~ Peter Steele
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Talking of fonts, does anyone know of a font where the numerals have ascenders and descenders like they used to in old books? Sort of like this:
I like this one:

http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=dark11
анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

smiscandlon wrote:
I like this one:

http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=dark11
ooh.. :notworthy: thank-you.....for dafont.....good to get back to designs :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"@ QB why would anyone stuff a font these days?"

i dunno, i just asked the sleeve designer what the font was and did he have a copy, and he mailed me that .sit file :?

anyhoo, cheers to mik for that one. its done the job nicely :notworthy:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Motz wrote:
James Blast wrote: @ QB why would anyone stuff a font these days?
I'm not QB (honest :roll:), but I'll answer anyway.

While stuffing a single file isn't going to save you much, when you're hosting thousands of fonts and serving many downloads of each of them, the bandwidth/disk-space costs add up and a saving in the order of kilobytes per file can have an effect on your bandwidth in the order of gigabytes.
truely the font of all knowledge :lol: :lol:

*coat on, door open*
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thanks for the help everyone.

Rather stupidly I didn't look at the fonts I already have (about 100 of them :roll:) before asking my question; I've found several...

The one that best suits what I was looking for appears to be Hoefler Text:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell