A few questions

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Mr.Mercy
Road Kill

My last vinyls from the flea market:The grief(dark grey marbled wax)lp
More(Power mix)east west records no cover
Alice(Dirty funker)not from the flea market 8)
Is there a cd from the dirty funker versions?Was this an official release?
How rare are these above?
Thanks
There's a million reasons why the hippies failed.
(Joe Strummer)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

The More Power Mix is a German promo. I don't know how rare this one is but the song itself can be found on the boot Temple Of Rarities (not rare)
for example and probably more bootlegs.

Alice (Dirty Funker remixes) is not official in my opinion and there is also a cd version. It's not that rare and is offered at E-bay quite a bit.

The Grief is a bootleg with various live recordings but I don't know how rare it is. Any one?

If I'm wrong, I will be corrected... :innocent:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

The Grief, IIRC, is the only bootleg which has the soundcheck "Black Night".

No matter if it's not ultra-rare, it's worth keeping.
Mr.Mercy
Road Kill

Is it the first pressing on dark grey wax or second third etc?
There's a million reasons why the hippies failed.
(Joe Strummer)
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Dark wrote:The Grief, IIRC, is the only bootleg which has the soundcheck "Black Night".

No matter if it's not ultra-rare, it's worth keeping.
Yes, The Grief. Very nice bootleg & pretty rare. Once in a while one pops up on Ebay. I have one on black vinyl. About that soundcheck on there ('Black Night' & 'Untitled') then. I'm not really convinced that it's a Sisters soundcheck! I'm not sure though, but I hear a real drummer and no Dr Avalanche pumping away... I'm probably wrong on this, but it sounds more like a Joy Division soundcheck to me :eek: :?:

All in all a very nice boot & worth every penny!
in dub we trust
Dark
Underneath the Rock

The drumming might be Doktor Avalanche. Rather good quality programming for a one-time only soundcheck if it is, though.
It may well be Joy Division though, I can see how it might be a proper drummer.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

havent heard it, but if you have any doubts over its aithenticity, you're probably correct...

lets face it, the sisters always sound like the sisters. you just kind of know its them dont you? :lol:

and that wouldnt be the first time its happened.... anyone know who actually did do that cover of "whisky in the jar" on the "brimstone & treacle" 7" bootleg?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

From what I've read, it was The m*****n.

Feckin' good job of it too. 8)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Dark wrote:From what I've read, it was The m*****n.
That's what I've read as well. It is suposed to be a "Sisterhood" performance. Listening to it I have doubts though.
"as we walk on the floodland"
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it's the m*****n,i'm sure.playing under their undeserved and shortlived name as the sisterhood. :roll: :evil:
**i've seen documentation to the effect somewhere but can't recall where or what it was. :?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Don't see why they couldn't be called the Sisterhood.
So what if they sound similar to TSOM? They ripped their name, and a few of their songs, off of Leonard Cohen.

Which is why I :roll: until it hurts when people complain about bands named "Floodland" and such. :lol:
ruffers
Overbomber

"Because of Andrew, we are no longer the Sisterhood"

Cue 1969 and unveiling of backdrop, Electric Ballroom. 'Twas a good gig, but it's not from that one unless I've forgotten..
Chucking another log on
eastmidswhizzkid

edit: in response to dark above :
because it was supposedly agreed amongst them all (von,hussbag,adams -i don't think marx cared) that none of them would use the name "the sisters of mercy". the people who became the mish went back on this -£25000 etc- and became unstuck as von had already copyrighted it.

then hussbag et al. tried to call themselves "the sisters" which von's lawyers put a stop to ,as it was to "the sisters of mercy" what "the stones " is to the rolling stones (for example).

then they went for "the sisterhood" , which had been an unofficial name for the fan club and that couldn't be stopped by the lawyers,hence giving ground etc.
**all of which is documented;besides, i've heard eldritch say all of this in a recorded interview, which makes it gospel as far as i'm concerned :lol:

so -because they reneged on their verbal agreement with von; because they had't thought it through and had to resort to lesser and lesser names in their desparate attempts to get the loot/creditability/following etc. that went with the name "the sisters of mercy";because they were unworthy;because in fact they only possess any credibility now because mrsRicheyJames is singing with them;and above all because they were shit. :lol: :P

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Bah. Say what you want, the Sisters were best when Hussey had joined (except for FALAA, that I'll gloss over).
His vocals were/are far better than Eldritch's anyway.
eastmidswhizzkid

i'll grant you that the classic sisters line-up and arguably their finest creative period was eldritch/marx/adams/hussey. that's probably half the reason hussey is so demonised -as the scapegoat for the greatest band ever (IMO) splitting at it's (first) peak .
but to say his vocals are better than eldritch's... :eek: :urff: :roll:

...though i really shouldn't expect any better from a philistine who doesn't like FALAA. :lol: :roll: :twisted:

suffice to say that at the time the enormous void created by the sisters split was never even vaguely filled by the m*****n;and although i did buy their records and see them live for a while, that didn't last even until TC came out....at which point i forgot about them completely. :von:

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

FALAA is far from my favourite Sisters era (if they had continued that way I'm pretty sure I had not become a die-hard, probably it's the enormous variation in sound between the different albums I like that much)...

The only Hussey vocals I know is the Gardens of Delight, and that's only so-so, but as I only know a single song, I should not judge that :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
ruffers
Overbomber

Dark wrote:His vocals were/are far better than Eldritch's anyway.
Don't be soft, the fellah can't sing.

Re lineups -

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but Eldritch/Hussey/Marx/Adams is the only real Sisters Of Mercy line up. Everything since then has been, imho of course, just Eldritch plus hired help. In much the same way as Mick Hucknall is Simply Red, Eldritch is The Sisters Of Mercy. And there's a pair of people I never thought I'd be drawing similarities between.

Hmm, they both support Un**ed as well. Maybe there's more to this than meets the eye?
Last edited by ruffers on 02 Oct 2005, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Chucking another log on
eastmidswhizzkid

you said that better than i did ruffers -i couldn't get my head around equating dark's hussey/eldritch/vocals opinion with the intelligent young dude who normally lives in his body! :lol:

von's allowed to support Man.utd coz he can do what he likes -hucknall shouldn't be allowed to breathe prescious oxygen that my kids might need.or my dog.

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Well, I find it hard to live in other people's bodies. :P

Innuendo aside, you listen to the Sisters demo of Garden Of Delight with Eldritch singing and then the one with Hussey singing.
Easy to tell who has the better voice, Von's singing on that is just plain awful.
eastmidswhizzkid

cause it's a plain awful song;probably in the wrong pitch for his voice and with twirly-girly dippy-drippy-hippy lyrics.
compare that to the blasphemy of hussey singing a chorus of Marian the first time i saw the mish :urff: :urff:
gary marx even had a far better voice than wailing wayne.

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Dark wrote:Well, I find it hard to live in other people's bodies. :P

Innuendo aside, you listen to the Sisters demo of Garden Of Delight with Eldritch singing and then the one with Hussey singing.
Easy to tell who has the better voice, Von's singing on that is just plain awful.
It's indeed, like emwk says, because the song isn't worth s**t, and probably he didn't quite feel like singing it too...
Though, I must agree, he's not the worlds best singer, the sound of his voice is just impressive... I'm very fond of the dark, deep (etc) sound of it...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
ruffers
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Well, I find it hard to live in other people's bodies. :P

Von doesn't sound like he has an inferior voice, he sounds embarrassed.
Chucking another log on
aims
Overbomber

Seems from the two demos that Von is trying his best to change the lyrics.

(Hussey Demo -> Eldritch Demo)

"See their dancing laughing naked faces" ->
"Shimmering over all those westward places"

"Shimmering skies" ->
"Desperate skies"

"The treasured first kiss of a stranger" ->
"The treasured touch, the first touch of a stranger"

"I'm covered in burns that just won't heal" ->
"I'm covered in burns and [something] but dancing still"
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Getting back tot he Whiskey in the Jar Thing.

It sounds to me that It was being played through the PA at the RAH before the gig starts (as in the thin Lizzy version), and someone is bashing along with the drum machine here and there (No doubt one of the roadies testing its working without playing a pattern from an actual song) , it is most certianally NOT the m*****n playing it!
eastmidswhizzkid

really ? i must admit i've never given it a second listen as it so obvously isn't the girls- i'll go and have another listen if that's your considered opinion. :?

edit: on listening to it that's definitely not the original thinlizzy version being played along to -and it's definitely a band playing live:you can tell by the way they break for the audience participation.fuck knows.