Crystal Palace 1993 comments?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

DGP00666 wrote:If I'm not wrong I read somewhere (probably that Virgin Interview) that Von was a Martin Gore fan :roll: I don't trust this though.
When Pip Dann asked Andrew to pick videos for a Postmodern show (was it?) he chose a Depeche song and mentioned he liked Martin Gore, for being very pervy.
richie & eddie
Road Kill

czuczu wrote:
Dan wrote:
the-happening wrote:Crystal Palace was a good day but Zeebrugge was far better
I was at Zeebrugge. Moments before Depeche Mode's intro started the heavens opened, thunder & lighning and pissing it down with rain. Then DM's intro started which seemed to include recorded sounds of thunder and lights to simulate lighning, but it was vastly overshadowed by the real thing. I endured the weather for about 2 songs then a bunch of us legged it back to the coach.
Zeebrugge was much better and definitely where the 'day at the beach stuff started'. Weirdest location for a festival though..
And the sight of 30-odd goths in dripping wet leather on the ferry home was f**king hilarious! :twisted:

One of the best things about Zeebrugge Beach festival for the sisters fan was the "sand trowing" at te ABBA look alike group "BJORN AGAIN" and at Hans Otten, who announced the bands... :D

The Best thing for VON was the fact that he did not have to look at his fans, he stared at the ocean for the whole concert.
Jaimie1980

The Green Lantern wrote:
DGP00666 wrote:If I'm not wrong I read somewhere (probably that Virgin Interview) that Von was a Martin Gore fan :roll: I don't trust this though.
When Pip Dann asked Andrew to pick videos for a Postmodern show (was it?) he chose a Depeche song and mentioned he liked Martin Gore, for being very pervy.
Yes, I think he said something to the effect that there should be more perverts in the charts. :lol:
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

"It's nice to see perverts on prime time television..."
Hybrid
Road Kill

Remember this well! The Sisters were bloody brilliant, i loved that show, as for DM, this was the during the period the lead singer was out of his head on Smack, and it really was abysmal watching him (which wasnt for long in my case). As i seem to remember when dm came on there were huge white banners or curtains hanging on stage and the lead singer got his self tangled up in them, im sure it wasnt meant to happen, but anyways when he opened his mouth to sing he sounded crap!
If your mother doesnt love you
The river bed might
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Johnny M wrote:Well that's two DM fans then ... :lol:
I like Depeche Mode... :oops:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Norman Hunter wrote:
Johnny M wrote:Well that's two DM fans then ... :lol:
I like Depeche Mode... :oops:
I kind of do to!
"as we walk on the floodland"
aims
Overbomber

I only like one song. Will this get me ripped into by both sides? :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Motz wrote:I only like one song. Will this get me ripped into by both sides? :lol:
not by me if it's that "all i ever wanted/all i ever needed...." song; which, for some reason, i have a soft spot for. or "master and servant". maybe "personal jesus".....i was going to say that i can't stand DM, but i'm getting out of this thread before i think of anything of theirs i like. :innocent: :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:that "all i ever wanted/all i ever needed...." song
Enjoy the Silence.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

ta. :wink:

czuczu
Overbomber

Everyone likes Blasphemous Rumours...
DM are OK, got nothing against them.

Anyone remember who was on before the Sissies?
eastmidswhizzkid

czuczu wrote:Everyone likes Blasphemous Rumours...
:roll: cheers Stu :lol:
-ok, apart from "enjoy the silence", "personal jesus", "master and servant" and "blasphemous rumours", what have depeche mode ever done for us?? :innocent:

streamline
Slight Overbomber

DM are OK, got nothing against them.

Republica and a s**t rap group......
But that was a long time ago so I could be wrong!!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Republica at CP? Nah, I'd have remembered that. :innocent: I don't think they came into existence til later than 93, could be wrong though. They were marv supporting the Fun Lovin Criminals at Leeds Poly in the mid 90s.

CP supports - aye caramba, now you're taxing the memory banks. One of Jah Wobble's outfits on first, can't for the life of me remember their name. Not bad really, they supported U2 at Rounhay in the same year. And some rap s**t. :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

The other two acts on the bill were Marxman and Dub Syndicate. I've still got the Melody Maker advert somewhere...
The Scene won't save you...
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:
The other two acts on the bill were Marxman and Dub Syndicate. I've still got the Melody Maker advert somewhere...
So where the hell did I see Republica?

Hmmmmmmm.
In the open air and I was fairly pissed......
God knows!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

streamline wrote:
Scardwel wrote:
So where the hell did I see Republica?

Hmmmmmmm.
In the open air and I was fairly pissed......
God knows!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :notworthy: Who knows?

Dub Syndicate, that's the fellows. Cheers Si.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
zaltys7

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
-ok, apart from "enjoy the silence", "personal jesus", "master and servant" and "blasphemous rumours", what have depeche mode ever done for us?? :innocent:
Songs of faith and devotion. :)

A brilliant album 8)

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
czuczu
Overbomber

zaltys7 wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Songs of faith and devotion. :)

A brilliant album 8)

Paul
's true! It's almost as good as Violator :wink:
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:that "all i ever wanted/all i ever needed...." song
Enjoy the Silence.
got a cd single with a wonderful harmonium version I quite like :wink:
and blasphemous rumors is brilliant imo :innocent:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Motz wrote:I only like one song. Will this get me ripped into by both sides? :lol:
not by me if it's that "all i ever wanted/all i ever needed...." song; which, for some reason, i have a soft spot for. or "master and servant". maybe "personal jesus".....i was going to say that i can't stand DM, but i'm getting out of this thread before i think of anything of theirs i like. :innocent: :lol:
I know what you mean. I quite like afew of their songs, but boy did they put me off 'em at CP. :urff: The singer sounded like a bad Ian Astbury tribute, hilariously fake yank accent and all. Naff.
czuczu
Overbomber

He's definitely got that Astbury habit of bawling out "well, THANK YOU!" at the the end of every number. :|

Musically, I think they can be pretty good :oops:
Jaimie1980

I like them, well Black Celebration onwards.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Black Celebration is one of the greatest albums of the 80's. I'd actually put it marginally ahead of First and Last and Always in my list. However, the Mode have never done anything as good as Floodland.

Of their last three albums, the latest is great, the two before them were, in Von's understated terms, "very dreary".