New York [6 March]

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
lachert
Overbomber

Thanks for review :notworthy: Good to hear that new gitarists works fine together and that there's a lot of smoke :D but poor to hear that shows are still have so low sound :( Pump up the volume, man ;D
long live rock'n'roll
Badlander
Overbomber

Why, you deaf ?
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
lachert
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:Why, you deaf ?
sad story, but years of listening trash in childhood make me a little demanding for a sound level :oops:
long live rock'n'roll
Badlander
Overbomber

I know what it is, I do have a pretty f**ked left ear myself. Can't go to concerts without at least one earplug, otherwise I start having hums in said ear.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cheers for all the reviews posted so far. :notworthy:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sheesh, I'm late in posting anything...Sisters in NYC + work in the morning = Nick was buried today under a pile of BS this morning. My head is recovered, though. Combination of Stella and the Doktor...

Nice to meet some folks, finally! Nevada's before and after the gig was a good call.

Stood toward the front and center with Corpy and EvilBastard, who already posted reviews. The sound was the big issue. Webster Hall's amps are strung up on both sides, so we were below them and Von's vocals were difficult to hear, sometime barely audible at all. You could see him signaling a few times to turn something up, presumably his vocals or the whole damn mix.

Good show, overall. Couple of times you could barely tell what the song was or if there were any vocals (Dr Jeep, Lucretia). No surprises with the set list, really. Reminded of how much I like Slept. Reminded that I'm not a big fan of a butchered Lucretia. Reminded that it would be nice to hear the Temple intro...

Von looked to be in good spirits, he cracked a smile a few times 'staring down' parts of the audience. Very few stage comments at all (that we could hear) except for Thank Yous, and he took a very long bow. Somebody in front of us got his magic bottle.

Yeah, a couple of d-bags started mixing it up at one point, and during Vision Thing, for some reason, people started clearing a circle for these two to finally go at it. I think they needed to relax and enjoy the show--amazingly, security didn't get in there--a lot of NYC gigs seem 'overpoliced'.

Re: Large goth crowd not 'into it': I agree, I think a certain amount of 'goths' see The Sisters playing somewhere, and it's more a 'goth obligation' to go, less of an obligation to actually enjoy it. Also jaded NYC crowd, what can you do? We're jaded New Yorkers, damnit!

Looking forward to Philly tomorrow. I'm out of my mind and actually hiking BACK to NYC right after the gig...all to make work on Thursday. Nice. I know Corpy and Francis are going, Trevor too, I think.

We were knuckleheads and totally missed the change to grab t-shirts. Philly will be the place, then, I want that long sleeve.

EvilBastard---you will get your t-shirt, size L.

Other thoughts/observations: toward the end you could really feel that floor shaking...any day now it's gonna come down.

Chris looks to be 'growing' into his role as more flamboyant power chord dude, while Ben looks a little stiffer but was clearly having fun by the end (it's gotta be tough being drafted into the band on short notice to handle all lead duties and then going on a 52 date tour!) Again, biggest complaint was the sound--hard to hear what was happening in some songs, Von just drowned out, The Doktor taking over predictably.

Might stand near the mixing desk in Philly, never been, how does it compare with other gigs they're playing this tour?

Overall, though, an awesome time---it was The Sisters in NYC, I'm happy. Great to meet everyone. Looking forward to tomorrow, wish it wasn't the last.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Electrochrome

Couple of thoughts after Bismark's amazingly detailed review (very nice, sir):

First--thanks for getting us to the front of that line, very cool

Bass? Agree 1000%, probably the biggest thing Von should address, just hire a human being for this job again. No question the songs, old and new, would benefit from it.

Slept---amazed you could even hear what he was singing, his vocals were too low here (and on most songs).

The sound--maybe it was too low, we were over in the front and center, but the vocal mix stuck out, but I did notice the guitars got buried under the Doktor a few times, too.

Smoke--I remember reading an interview where Eldritch says it was actually in New York that they were given smoke (probably The Ritz or Danceteria). Could very well have been in the same building as last night.

The Warlocks--saw them before, nowhere near the amount of smoke that they had last night. It looked very good, worked really well. Good choice for support band. When I saw them in '03 I was first amazed at how many people were in the damn band, harder to tell last night. And yes, was eyeing the bass player, she was a bit more visible where we were. And did I see band members themselves breaking down their own equipment? What a work ethic.

Saw the very large guy in front, looked like he was going to pummel someone after he pushed his way to the rail. I don't think Von wanted to upset him. The other fight was right behind us, the fools.

And yes, the new crew are young and lively---new blood for an older band.

Again, good review, hope to see you in Philly.

And oh, Von gave a kick to two stage lights in front that weren't working, around the second of third song, I think.
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

OK here's the deal on Ritz/Webster:

- Webster Hall 125 East 11th Street
- Ritz 119 East 11th Street

probably the same space, different entrance.
same venue the Sisters played in 1984, too!

here's another blurry shot of AE & the new guitarist whose name escapes me: Image
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Very nice reviews indeed! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
Drenchrom

OK just got back from New York, after a six hour turburlence fueled plane ride.

The Sisters were on top form, it took a couple of songs for things to get going mind. The venue seemed pretty well packed to me and lots of people had already claimed their space and weren't going to give it up easily.

It was one of the tamest crowds i've ever seen mind, poor Spencer had no one to jump into! There were a few pockets of resistance, but I suppose many of the crowd hadn't seen The Sisters as much as I had and maybe they wanted to take in as much as they could. So I'll let them off this time!

Everyone has said everything there is to say about the tracks they played and some were slightly different, mainly due to Ben and his style of playing.

But from what I heard the punters seemed to really enjoy themselves, especially on the big two Dominion and Lucretia.

Here's to Paris and The UK

Matt..

OK time to be sad, anyone got a scan of the ticket they'd like to post or send me a photocopy, WillCall didn't have tickets, they just ticked your name off of the list, well I would like some sort of memento and please no pm saying how sad I am. Jesus I went to New York to see the band when they're only playing 1 & half hours away from me. :lol:
Badlander
Overbomber

Drenchrom wrote:Jesus I went to New York to see the band when they're only playing 1 & half hours away from me. :lol:
Jeez you're some serious Heartlander ! :eek: :notworthy:
That or you're deranged. :wink: :innocent:
Drenchrom

Part-time serious, or as much as my wife will let me. New York was her 13th show, so I'm not the only mad one in the family! She's so excited that they're playing her old Uni in Norwich that she's also going to that one and dragging some of her uni friends hopefully. Personally I think she only goes to see the band for the travelling, out of 13 shows only 4 have been in the UK!!

Matt.. & Dr Claire
RobF

New York Fun, Sissies on form, new guitarist competent (but a disaster as far as style goes). U.S crowds s**t :?

Anyone heard of "jumping up and down" ?

It's the latest thing.

Ho Hum.

:urff:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
davedecay

the new songs are barely worthy of jumping up & down. many people there didn't even know them, plus they are slooooooow...
Drenchrom

They played a fair few oldies, but apart from about 10 people in the audience, not much moved from where I was jumping about.

I think Notts/Glasgow should be more up your street Rob.

Matt..
Francis
Overbomber

Moved from General Chat at mod's request:

New York: Got to Nevada Smiths about eight after stoking up in a smoking zone first. Seemed I'd missed the Heartland tribe, but stayed anyway for a couple of bottles interspersed with nicotine and cold air. There was a Man U game on the TV and they played some Sisters songs on the PA. Headed across to Webster Hall about eight thirty to discover that 'Will Call Tickets' are just a handstamp, so A Very Nice man would be disappointed not to get his momento. Had a couple more in the bar there before my weak bladder kicked in. This turned out to be a good thing as I met AndrewS going into the gents too. At just the same time Chris Catalyst was coming out and greeted AndrewS. Kudos! Their brief exchange demonstrated that Mr Catalyst was a genuinely down-to-earth guy. He pissed in the same pot as the rest of us ffs! Arranged to meet up with AndrewS and Eva after the gig as they were in their customary inside-right attacking position while I prefer to loiter around at the back near the refreshment stand. Back upstairs my first impression of the Warlocks was that they sounded like Interpol, looked like Echo and the Bunnymen and had acquired the Sisters penchant for smoke. This impression was to be reinforced at each of the subsequent gigs. Their first three songs all sounded like the first track on Turn on the Bright Lights. Some nice dub sounds during the interval. The place was pretty packed as the Sisters took the stage. Sound good. Mr E's vocals weren't too clear but the guitars were screaming. Visuals good. The right amount of smoke choreographed perfectly with the lights. Particularly effective for each shade of Summer. The crowd were very static though. Showed their appreciation between the songs but not much movement during them. This led me to venture further forward in an attempt to see if it was a bit livelier there. Got to where there should've been a moshpit only to get hassled for dancing to Alice. The Lone Ranger I am not, so I scuttled back to the bar area to get some elbow room. I gathered later that NYC venues are a bit anal about crowd control fearing lawsuits from people with bruised toes. All in all, a good show to start my trip with. I made my way through the dispersing throng to find Andrew and Eva. I think Martin (Petseri), Trevor (bismarck) and Spencer (nice shorts ;-)) were there too. We adjourned to Nevada Smiths where I was accosted on the way back from the toilets by Martin, Trevor, Nick (Electrochrome), Mike (EvilBastard) and Jen (Corpy) and 'friend'. The ex-Punk got a suffocating hug, but I figured the others would probably settle for a firm handshake. Fine, upstanding citizens one and all. Having been given the low-down on the Russian Mafia and some number swapping, the natives headed for their beds, while I determined to see if the city really doesn't sleep. Then, as AndrewS and I waited to be served at the bar, Mr Eldritch appeared and informed us he was "in the chair". I think AndrewS managed to maintain his composure as I clutched the bar rail for support. On receipt of my drink I took the opportunity to shake his hand and asked him what he thought of the crowd. "They were fine" he clipped in an end-of-conversation tone. My cue to return to the safety of where Eva was sitting by the window. Fortunately, I controlled my urge to jump up and down like a schoolie as he brought Eva her drink over. To say we were all rather chuffed is an understatement. Chris was also in the bar, but I didn't see Ben. Later on I went outside for a smoke and Mr E was there with what I guess was his security man. I kept a suitable distance as it sank in that he was wearing a shell suit and baseball cap. Rumours that his bottoms were tucked into white tennis socks have yet to be confirmed. If he hadn't approached us earlier at the bar, I don't think I would have recognised him. As I stood casually with my back to him, I became aware of a teenage girl's voice thanking him for making her day. I turned round to see a 16ish blonde 'normal' hovering excitedly around him. They bantered for a bit and he made her day even better by giving her a hug. Nice touch.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Electrochrome

Francis---good to read your thoughts around that night.

To say that Mike (EvilBastard) and I were, er, smacking our foreheads after hearing that Andrew showed up is an understatement---we reckon it couldn't have been much longer after we left, which was 1am-ish, later? It's blurry....

...but damn it, I'd gladly have been that much more hungover, even late or absent the next day at work if I'd been able to see the man in all his track suit glory, knocking back a few. You should have offered to buy him a sandwich or slice of pizza, he looks a bit thin...

Yes...The Warlocks did/do sound like Interpol---the first song they played on this tour ('Come Save Us') opens exactly like the first Interpol album track ('Untitled'). Steady strumming. I think they picked up the smoke more recently....I couldn't tell how many people were in the band anymore, I could see a shadow, some hair, etc. Still trying to figure out why they need two drummers....no doubt Andrew informed them they could can a member or two to shave some bucks off the tour? :wink:

NY crowd was tame.....at least Philly had a mosh pit even though the venue was a bit under-populated.

Anybody got a NY ticket scan? When I drop $50, the least they can do is give me a piece of paper.
davedecay

i'd like a NY ticket scan, too. same boat here.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I have the ticket scan on my desktop here at the office - email addies in a PM and I"ll punt the little darlin' your way.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Electrochrome

Just found this from the latest issue of The Village Voice.

Summary: The show was crap.

Source: Ex-NYC G*** & Music Critic (generally useless bunch)

Yes.....the sound was lousy. And I guess I cheered more because of the "sadomasochistic relationship between the singer and his slavish fans" than any love of the band. Oh yeah, you don't "come for the show". What the hell were we thinking?

Here's the link: http://villagevoice.com/music/0612,wissot,72573,22.html
Cut and paste below:

The Sound of the City
Dud Land
God of goth rips off his fans, but who came for the show?

by Lauren Wissot
March 20th, 2006 12:36 PM

Last time I saw Sisters of Mercy was nearly 15 years ago, as a yong goth chick worshipping at the altar of singer Andrew Eldritch. They'd filled my youth with odes to unrequited love and transcendental one-night stands, and I'm still grateful for how Eldritch's lyrics even shaped my own writing. But March 6 at Webster Hall was unbelievably awful, a sort of "name that tune" beneath heavy distortion and smoke machines ("Holy s**t! Did they just play 'Anaconda'?"), with the only-man-that-mattered Eldritch crooning lyrics like faking orgasms, mouthing words that meant the world to him 20 years ago but resonated now like mindless feedback to a man nearing 50.
For over two decades Andrew Eldritch has been a big fish in a small pond, forever yearning to move beyond the goth scene (see "touring with Public Enemy"). His playful irony has always hinged on a nasty bitterness, manifesting ultimately in an unparalleled condescension to and disdain for fans. So the cheering for encores at the end of his phoned-in set seemed more a reflection of the sadomasochistic relationship between the singer and his slavish fans than an expression of their adulation. (I couldn't help but think a round of raucous booing might have earned the audience just enough respect in Eldritch's eyes to merit the soul-bearing brilliance of a song like "Nine While Nine".)

Still, one club kid, all eyeliner and black lipstick, hit the nail on the head when she shrugged, "Yeah, but you don't come for the show." Duh! Reunion tours are a way for the audience to reconnect with its past, with the community that "raised" you. It really wasn't about the Sisters of Mercy, or about no one recognizing "On The Wire" until the chorus. It was about leafing through memories like old photo books, viewing a moment in time from a lifetime away. Resurrecting the past to make it sound relevant and new was an exercise in futility, akin to remaking "Temple of Love" over and over again. Unfortunately, Andrew Eldritch learned long ago how to exploit "for fun and profit" this universal need for a touchstone.
Ocean Moves

davedecay wrote:the new songs are barely worthy of jumping up & down. many people there didn't even know them, plus they are slooooooow...
If crash and burn and come together are slow, I don't know what you
call fast, But anyhow,
at the defence of US audiences, they probably don't know the 'new' songs,
and that's not their fault: not everyone spends time tracking down
and downloading (illegal) recordings of live shows to get the new
songs.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Ocean Moves wrote:But anyhow,
at the defence of US audiences, they probably don't know the 'new' songs,
and that's not their fault

Hey, I'm part of the "US audiences", and *I'll* not defend them and their ignorance, sorry. Go read my rant about the morons at the Chicago show, while you're at it... UGH. :evil: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ocean Moves

Electrochrome wrote:
Summary: The show was crap.

....Still, one club kid, all eyeliner and black lipstick, hit the nail on the head when she shrugged, "Yeah, but you don't come for the show." .
It's an interesting review, and certainly highlights how hard it is
to win advocates after all these years - especially in light of the lack
of recorded material, lack of original band members, and the
ever present goth audience.
I for one am flying across the planet to see the Sisters, and I am most
Definitely coming for the show, good or bad, as I believe most people
who frequent Heartland are. However, I recognise the goth kids that
the reviewer refers to. I've seen them at previous Sisters shows;
dressed up with outfits and make up, looking bored.
They certainly don't look like they want to see the show - so why
do they come? perhaps it's because they feel a sense of obligation
to see the band because they believe The Sisters are responsible
for (their) goth 'lifestyle' ? I don't know. But if that's the case,
I don't blame Andrew for showing some distain for
these people, and for that matter, wanting to shake his
life long (and life's work) association to the 'scene'.
To me this part of the audience behave like sheep; they're not
really thinking about why they're there or what they're seeing
at all. They're perpetuating a movement (and self parody)
Generated by the music press, years ago.
There in lies an inherent contradiction in this review;
Andrew is being blamed, if the title of the review is
anything to go by, for ripping off his goth fans, and then
being blamed later on in the review for showing distain
for his goth fans. Now, you can't have it both ways -
nobody is asking these people to come to the show - they
choose to buy a ticket and show up. We know Andrew doesn’t
like them, and we know Andrew would like to develop is audience,
as pointed out in the review. If they played first and last and
always back-to-back, the sisters would be blamed for being
a nostalgia act - if they play new stuff with new guitarists
they get blamed for ripping off a nostalgic audience who
(Apparently) aren’t there for the show anyway !
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Ocean Movies :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

totally agree
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Village Voice is known for their hatchet jobs, i think...i remember back in the day when i was a GNR fan, Axl Rose was talking about the VV cause they'd crushed GNR's show in a review.

My misbelief of that review starts from the beginning. i doubt the reviewer was ever a fan...i doubt this because that is exactly the way they are supposed to write so as to appear credible in the eyes of the readers.
we've got beer and we've got fuel