March 14th - Chicago

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
delirium74
Road Kill
Location: springfield illinois, or the town of sporadic tornadic activity

it was definitly a nice distraction from all the stuff going on in springfield right now.....
to bad i didnt come home to everything being magically fixed....
for those who dont know, 2 tornados came through sunday night and half the town is still down.
at least larissa didnt miss school for the shows:)
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:
DGP00666 wrote:For some strange reason I missed Slept, On The Wire and Will I dream
I was actually hoping for stuff like Gimme Shelter, Adrenochrome, SKoS/CN, and a host of others (that may never be played out again), but I ain't complaining.
Well, I was being realistic :roll:
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

DGP00666 wrote:Well, I was being realistic :roll:

Pffffffffffffffffft. :twisted:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
delirium74
Road Kill
Location: springfield illinois, or the town of sporadic tornadic activity

i really wanted to hear skos/cn as well....
argh
...what? you mean its not a purple rooster????well crap...
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

I know they're leaving those ones, including Lights, to delight us in Barcelona (dreaming is nice, you know).
viggler
Road Kill

I watched the Chicago show and I must say this was the worst show I've ever seen. I mean the sound was attrocious. The bass and drums dominated everything. I could barely hear the guitars during FALAA. And forget about Andrew's vocals, I couldn't make out a single thing he said until Lucreatia. But Ben's mic was way loud. I cringed every time he belted out backup vocals during Dr. Jeep and Dominion. But worst of all was Ben's uninspired solo during Something Fast, which sound like an amatuer guitarist's bad attempt at imitating The Cure. I know we're all excited just because it's the Sisters and we're holding hope for a new album, but if I had not been a sisters fan I would have seriously tried to get my $40 back.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hmmm...wondering if we were at the same show, after all. As I was not even 4 full feet from Ben (being, as I was, pressed firmly against the barricade), I think I'd have noticed the purportedly cringe-worthy vocals you speak of. Yeah, and there's no "bass", by the way. Phantom bass player you mayhap missed in all the smoke, innit? And the guitars were quite audible, from where I was standing. Not to mention, f*cking spot-on.

You *sure* we were at the same show?
lachert
Overbomber

I'm confuse, don't know who I should believe now :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

viggler wrote:...but if I had not been a sisters fan I would have seriously tried to get my $40 back.
Is this the new trick? I've been to a lot of concerts/festivals I regret, but never ever thought of getting my money back.. not to mention all the CDs I've bought and listened to for five seconds and then put in the shelves. To my question: Is it common in the US that people get their money back if their not satisfied? Like TV Shop..."if you're not happy with it, return it withing 30 days..." ?
Badlander
Overbomber

viggler wrote:but if I had not been a sisters fan I would have seriously tried to get my $40 back.
Damn consumer attitude. Go watch TV, you'll get what you want.
Last edited by Badlander on 16 Mar 2006, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Hey hey hey, _consumers_ must be kept happy.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
TheBoyNextDoor

itnAklipse wrote:Hey hey hey, _consumers_ must be kept happy.
Well I'm a swede.. we're always complaining in silence.. :urff: :innocent:
Ocean Moves

DGP00666 wrote:Don't tell me I didn't warn you. Now I'm already counting the days to see them in Spain, but that's a diffeent story in a different planet :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Hehe.

Bet I'm flying further than you to get to Spain though ;D

wanna meet?
Booslham
Road Kill

To answer TheBoyNextDoor's question:
Yes it is VERY common in the US that people get their money back if their not satisfied. But NOT a concert ticket!!!
If you don't call a few hours before the show and cancel, that's it. And they'll charge you a fee for cancellation.
"return it if you're not satisfied", "money back guaranted" has become a trademark and a salesperson's trick to lure people to the shop. People now say it out of habit when they're unsatisfied with almost anything. It bacame sort of a cultural expression.... doesn't mean anything.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Feeding trolls is bad; must...control...myself...
TheBoyNextDoor

Booslham wrote:To answer TheBoyNextDoor's question:
Yes it is VERY common in the US that people get their money back if their not satisfied. But NOT a concert ticket!!!
If you don't call a few hours before the show and cancel, that's it. And they'll charge you a fee for cancellation.
"return it if you're not satisfied", "money back guaranted" has become a trademark and a salesperson's trick to lure people to the shop. People now say it out of habit when they're unsatisfied with almost anything. It bacame sort of a cultural expression.... doesn't mean anything.
Thanks for your answer.. one begin to wonder when so many concert-goers on this tour wants their money back because of "that and that". :roll:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Thanks for your answer.. one begin to wonder when so many concert-goers on this tour wants their money back because of "that and that". :roll:
Don't worry, kiddo - thus far, it's just that one *consumer*.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Sorry, but I have to rant now about the sheer idiocy of some of the Chicago show attendees - a phenomenon I haven't really encountered in threads about the shows leading up to Tuesday night's (if I've missed similar complaints in other threads, please point me in their direction).

Seems like here in town, oodles of cretins attended merely to "see and be seen", rather than because they were, you know, actual FANS of the band. Case in point: 2 separate IM conversations from yesterday (one with an acquaintance of mine who also attended the show; the other with a friend who'd heard about the night's performance from someone else), and an excerpt from a dodgy darkling DJ's MySpace bulletin.

The IMs went summat like this:

"So, what'd you think of the show?"
"FANF*CKINGTASTIC!!!"
"Oh, really? Hmm. Yeah, it was ok, but I couldn't see anything through all the smoke! Could you see anything?"
"Uh, yeah, actually, hehe. Where were you, anyway?"
"Up in the balcony. Why - where were you?"
"Right in front of the stage."
"Why were you down there?!"
"Because TSoM are my favorite band of all time."
"......"

"So, what'd you think of the show? I heard it was good, but there were sound problems, and there was no drummer or bass player! WTF?"
"........................................."

Excerpt from MySpace bulletin:
"ps. I heard the Sisters of Mercy show earlier in the evening sucked anyhow..."

I heard, I heard, I heard. Wow, that's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaahscinating. Blow it out your hairdo, 'cos you work at Hardees.

I wonder how many TSoM *fans* were really in attendance Tuesday night, then?

As ol' Von so eloquently states: SHUT.THE.F*CK.UP. Oh, and stay the hell home next time, willya? Please. I beg you.

:evil: :von:
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

In Montreal, I heard people complain aroud me, and some boos came from the balcony at the first break and at the very end of the show.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Martin wrote:In Montreal, I heard people complain aroud me, and some boos came from the balcony at the first break and at the very end of the show.
Did they have spiderwebs painted on their faces, by any chance? :lol: :von:
Brad

In fact, there was a dude(ette?) behind me with a spider web on their face. :lol:

Love the Dead Milkmen reference BTW.
kurtz
Road Kill

viggler wrote: But worst of all was Ben's uninspired solo during Something Fast, which sound like an amatuer guitarist's bad attempt at imitating The Cure
you may be an idiot, but you have a point here. ben's solo on something fast was pretty lame...pearson had that thing down to the pinnacle of cruelty....
umlaut
Road Kill

I was there.

It was great. You couldn't hear eldritch that well, buuut who gives a s**t, honestly? The new guitarists were fantastic.

MY only gripe with the chitown show were the two drunken idiots screaming YOU SUCK behind me, and then talking about how funny they were. Considering they just paid $45 to get into a show they didn't like, I'm wondering if they missed the joke...
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

If you don't like the Sisters what's the point in going to a concert, being still like a statue while they play Vision Thing and complaining about it in a Sisters forum? Just to stay cool among your friends and buy the t-shirt after the concert? Go see Good Charlotte instead. We don't need fans like these.
viggler
Road Kill

The Sisters have been one of my favorite bands since I stole a copy of SGWBM about 12 years ago. My favorite Something Fast solo is from '99 Portugal, which was about 10 times better than what Ben played Tuesday night. And the synth bass and drums which get pumped through the PA were entirely too powerful. The guitars didn't balance out until Burn.
I would be hard pressed to believe the band did a proper soundcheck before the show.